Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: D'Angelo proving he's not a bust

Quote Originally Posted by coin24 View Post
    He stinks.. always did. Lakers are morons for bringing him back..

Please get rid of him for Kyrie in the off season. At least Kyrie can score
    got to be better options than either

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

He made the All-Star game as an injury replacement for Oladipo. In the player vote he was tied with Dinwiddle and had exactly one more vote than JJ Redick and Brogdan and they were all tied in media voting. I suppose silver picked him because he had more fan votes. More well known name at the time.

That said I don’t know if he’s a bust. He’s a bust in that you expect a great player for a second pick but he’s still a good player.

would you call Tyson chandler a bust? Number two pick and expected to be a superstar along the lines of a Kevin Garnett. He made an All-Star team won a defensive player of the year and might’ve been the second most important player on a champion. But is Tyson Chandler what you’re looking for when you draft that high?

Same situation.

I don't think you could call him a bust in any universe when looking at the 2015 Draft. D'lo and Towns were the two best prospects going in and we knew there was a gap between the two. Lakers could have went with Jahlil Okafor and really gone bust at the time. Booker ended up being the best player as a 13th pick and no one that I know had him as a potential star/superstar at the time.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    That said I don’t know if he’s a bust. He’s a bust in that you expect a great player for a second pick but he’s still a good player.

would you call Tyson chandler a bust? Number two pick and expected to be a superstar along the lines of a Kevin Garnett. He made an All-Star team won a defensive player of the year and might’ve been the second most important player on a champion. But is Tyson Chandler what you’re looking for when you draft that high?

Same situation.
    don't think he was that highly thought of. There wasn't a consensus #1 in that draft. There were several guys considered

Anthony Bennett wasn’t thought highly of far as I know but he’s still a bust. Obviously a much much bigger one than Russell could be argued…I’m just saying not being highly regarded as a future superstar by everyone doesn’t mean being a top pick isn’t supposed to be one. If only to the people who take him…the top 3ish picks are taken there because they’re supposed to be significant.

Still being good players doesn’t necessarily mean guys like Deangelo, Oladipo, or Chandler can’t have the bust label. 3 all stars. 3 second picks. All good players at their best…I just don’t know if their careers are what even they would have envisioned when they dreamed of stardom.

Is it an option to be a small bust?

Like Marcus Camby. Second pick. DPOY. He was a somebody.

But not what he was hyped to be.

Marcus Camby a small bust?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Anthony Bennett wasn’t thought highly of far as I know but he’s still a bust. Obviously a much much bigger one than Russell could be argued…I’m just saying not being highly regarded as a future superstar by everyone doesn’t mean being a top pick isn’t supposed to be one. If only to the people who take him…the top 3ish picks are taken there because they’re supposed to be significant.

Still being good players doesn’t necessarily mean guys like Deangelo, Oladipo, or Chandler can’t have the bust label. 3 all stars. 3 second picks. All good players at their best…I just don’t know if their careers are what even they would have envisioned when they dreamed of stardom.

Is it an option to be a small bust?

Like Marcus Camby. Second pick. DPOY. He was a somebody.

But not what he was hyped to be.

Marcus Camby a small bust?
    I think only if you are going off of hope or unrealistic expectations. The Ringer did a piece a few years ago and Otto Porter was essentially the average player or expected value of the 3rd pick and I think Marvin Williams might have been the example of the 2nd pick.

Expecting the 2nd or 3rd pick to be superstars, rather than hoping, sets expectations too high imo.

There obviously isn’t even room for every first and second pick to be superstars, considering a few lower picks sneak in, unless we have a couple dozen at a time. But I think people make those picks with high hopes. You can never be sure of course but that’s probably the plan.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

There obviously isn’t even room for every first and second pick to be superstars, considering a few lower picks sneak in, unless we have a couple dozen at a time. But I think people make those picks with high hopes. You can never be sure of course but that’s probably the plan.
    Absolutely.

It’s just that expected value in reality (solid starter) is much lower than those high hopes / expectations (star / superstar).

Bust should really only apply to (non-injured) players who are below replacement level.
    Anyone with ~10+ppg on decent efficiency that pretends to play defense isn't really a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopologyPhD View Post
    Bust should really only apply to (non-injured) players who are below replacement level.
    Anyone with ~10+ppg on decent efficiency that pretends to play defense isn't really a bust.
    Exactly. D'lo is still a good player 8 years into his career. Idk how that could be considered a bust when he's still a starter on a Playoff team. You hope to at least get someone who contributes to playing winning basketball with one of the top picks, and barely any of the picks after him in the lottery are still relevant players to this day. He's one of the 4 guys who didn't end up being just a role player for their entire career.

. Idk how that could be considered a bust when he's still a starter on a Playoff team.

What kinda standard is that?

There are starters on playoff teams who aren’t even average. Weird cutoff for determining if a super high lottery pick lived up to it.

If “He’s a good player” means a top pick isn’t a bust….there aren’t many. Most of the people we call a bust were competent. They could start on good teams. Unless we reserve the label for only the absolute worst disappointments ever like Bennett or Hasheem Thabeet…and that’s never been how it done.

If there are only 5-6 ever we might as well retire the term for normal use.

Banned

Well, he's carried the Lakers to the playoffs, so there's that. Before he came to the team, the Lakers were in the lottery all season.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    Well, he's carried the Lakers to the playoffs, so there's that. Before he came to the team, the Lakers were in the lottery all season.
    Biggest game of the season and he goes mia. What was he? 1 for 9?

Then again the lakers need a pg to handle the ball, not letiny and his shit across the key passes

Quote Originally Posted by coin24 View Post
    Biggest game of the season and he goes mia. What was he? 1 for 9?

Then again the lakers need a pg to handle the ball, not letiny and his shit across the key passes
    Poor little simon shew, still mentally destroyed by LeBron doubling his idol's FMVP count