Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default 1987 Magic Johnson vs 2016 Steph Curry

Which is the better PG? I always thought Magic had the greatest season ever for a PG in '87, but Curry so far this year is obviously making a case for the best season ever for a PG.

Default Re: 1987 Magic Johnson vs 2016 Steph Curry

Apples and oranges. Magic was an actual PG. He didn't go around jacking up long 3's and 20+ shots a game he was a maestro who constantly set his teammates up. Curry should be compared to guys like Wade and Kobe before someone like Magic.

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

What do we call a PG who average less than 7 apg? A shooting guard.

Seriously, only reason he is listed as a SG is his height.

Magic was a great scorer in 87 and the floor general. Give me the greatest point guard of all time, Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by lakers_forever

Magic was a great scorer in 87 and the floor general. Give me the greatest point guard of all time, Magic.
    not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Apples and oranges. Magic was an actual PG. He didn't go around jacking up long 3's and 20+ shots a game he was a maestro who constantly set his teammates up. Curry should be compared to guys like Wade and Kobe before someone like Magic.
    You are so wrong.

Curry might shoot and score like no one else in the league, but he's a true point guard. He runs the offense and he makes everyone else better.

How many dimes did he drop against OKC that his teammates blow? I counted at least 5 easy layups, which would have given him 11 assists for the game, along with 46 points.

magic was a ball hog, he needed to have the ball in his hands to be effective. curry plays within the offense and still dominates. magic was a nice player but he was a mediocre shooter from range which is what matters in todays game. magic = great player in his era curry = great player in any era.

Quote Originally Posted by lakers_forever

Curry is a very good passer, he's has seasons where he has averaged 8 apg, but because of the evolution of Draymond Green the Warriors like to use him as the facilitator. I'm pretty sure if Draymond was out of the picture you would see Curry average around 7-8 apg.

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    magic was a ball hog, he needed to have the ball in his hands to be effective. curry plays within the offense and still dominates. magic was a nice player but he was a mediocre shooter from range which is what matters in todays game. magic = great player in his era curry = great player in any era.
    Both Magic and Curry would be great in any era.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
    You are so wrong.

Curry might shoot and score like no one else in the league, but he's a true point guard. He runs the offense and he makes everyone else better.

How many dimes did he drop against OKC that his teammates blow? I counted at least 5 easy layups, which would have given him 11 assists for the game, along with 46 points.
    This happens with EVERY playmaker. Their teammates blow easy baskets and cause them turnovers. It happens.

When I watch Curry play, he's much more focused on jacking up 3's than setting up his teammates. There's way too many possessions where he doesn't even think about passing the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    This happens with EVERY playmaker. Their teammates blow easy baskets and cause them turnovers. It happens.

When I watch Curry play, he's much more focused on jacking up 3's than setting up his teammates. There's way too many possessions where he doesn't even think about passing the ball.
    What percentage is he shooting from 3?

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    What percentage is he shooting from 3?
    47%. Insane.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    47%. Insane.
    Great thread and a difficult choice. I'd have to go with Magic because of his court vision and pass first approach, but Curry is just unbelievable. Just my opinion but I always thought Oscar's 2nd season was the best stat line ever for a PG of 30.8 points and 11.4 assists and 12.5 rebounds. What do you think?

Very good NBA starter

Curry is easily better. Dude is anchoring a better offense than Magic ever did and it's not close. He also obliterates Magic as a scorer and shooter and his efficiency is in another universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    Curry is easily better. Dude is anchoring a better offense than Magic ever did and it's not close. He also obliterates Magic as a scorer and shooter and his efficiency is in another universe.
    This is what bothers me with the whole Curry thing. Sure, he is amazing, the GOAT shooter, he is having an insane year. But he is getting a lil bit overrated by some. I mean, easily better than Magic? No one in the history of the game was easily better than Magic. Not even Jordan.

Good college starter

It depends.

Where does Magic's season rank in terms of PER?