Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: Best Player In The World: Curry or LeBron?

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Curry is easily the best, but bear with me a sec...

[COLOR="Navy"]Here's a list of all the play-types listed on NBA.com, with the percentile rank that 1.00 PPP equates to in each category (the higher the percentile rank, the less efficient the play - as you can see, 1.00 PPP translates to the 60.4 percentile for "off-screen", and the 77.3% for "isolations", so "off-screen" is more efficient):[/COLOR]

1) Cut: 18.8 percentile

2) Roll man on screen-rolls: 49.3 percentile

3) Off-screen: 60.4 percentile

4) Spot-ups: 65.3 percentile

5) Hand-offs: 72.4 percentile

6) Isolations: 77.3 percentile

7) Post-ups: 81.7 percentile

8) Ballhandler on screen-rolls: 91.7 percentile

HERE'S HOW THIS RELATES TO CURRY AND LEBRON

The least efficient play shown above (ballhandler on screen rolls) constitutes 20-25% of the offense for top wings like Lebron, with another 20-25% coming from similarly low efficient isolations.. Essentially, the top wing players in the league use low efficiency ball-dominance over 50% of the time.

Point guards ALSO use the least efficient options - they're the ballhandler on screen rolls for 40% to 60% of their offense.

But the exception is Steph Curry.. He's the ballhandler on screen-rolls for [COLOR="Navy"]only 24.2%[/COLOR] of his offense and only isolates 10% of the time.. He simply employs the higher efficiency OFF-BALL options more often than his peers.

He has Jordan-level acumen because he's smart enough to get his offense off-ball - this is more efficient and gives teammates more opportunity/time with the ball to be comfortable and play their game..

Unlike Lebron, teammates aren't starved of the ball and don't have to subjugate their game to the whim of the #1 option.. Ultimately, Curry's off-ball play gives his team more capacity to reach a higher level of teamwork and superior play, which makes him the better player.
    I don't see how anyone can argue against any of these points to be completely honest.

3-time NBA All-Star

Curry easily

3 ball was oh so close to a whole post without mentioning Jordan. Almost gained some respect from me.

Anyway, as a huge Cavs fan, and a fan of LeBron as a player, Curry is on another tier right now. I couldn't even make an argument for LeBron, but I'd love to be able to try. We'll see who brings it in the playoffs, that's where these "crowns" are won, lost and/or validated.

Curry by a huge margin.