Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kawhi Leonard now the league leader in 3 point percentage (50 3pt%). Iguodala #2.

Damn, now above average but by no means transcendent-talent forwards in this era are better ranged shooters than MJ era players ever could have hoped to be

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl.../stat/3-points

Reggie Miller at his absolute best wouldn't even be a top 20 3 point shooter this season - in fact most of his career he shot worse from 3 than Mathew Dellavedova is shooting

90's now starting to look like an era so far removed from this era that we "can't compare it". Kids who never saw that era are going to see the stats difference and scoff at it. Players back then simply did not do what players today are doing. Be it rules, be it talent, be it training, be it styles of play. It's just not comparable anymore when you have guys like Mathew Dellavedova outpacing the absolute greatest shooters of the 90's.

Default Re: Kawhi Leonard now the league leader in 3 point percentage (50 3pt%). Iguodala #2.

Lots of open 3's in the Spurs system.

Dunking on everybody in the park TrueBlue89's Avatar

Default Re: Kawhi Leonard now the league leader in 3 point percentage (50 3pt%). Iguodala #2.

Warriors are so ****ing stacked. My God.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Curry at 46% while having ~25% more attempts than the next highest guy is just not fair. And I'm just going to assume the degree of difficulty on his attempts is higher.

Dirk on pace for another 50/40/90 season. At 37.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again. The top 10-20 3pt FGs made list will be 90% different in 10 years. In 20 years Curry might not even be considered the best shooter in history anymore because of the Like-Curry effect. Especially considering his profile isn't as rare as MJ's 6-6 48in-vert.

Good High School Starter

Whoa man what?

Reggie Miller at his absolute best wouldn't even be a top 20 3 point shooter this season
    Reggie "at his best" made 2.8 a game on .427%

I think the list of guys today who are bettering that is very, very small.
    Not even sure you can find 5 guys bettering that efficiency/volume combo.

in fact most of his career he shot worse from 3 than Mathew Dellavedova is shooting
    Not really.
    Della is making 1.2 per game on 42%

Miller had about a 10 year stretch making 2.2 at 41%... and obviously he wasn't a nobody roleplayer scoring on mostly open kickouts.
    He was almost always the best offensive player on his team and the main focus of opposing defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    I've said it a million times and I'll say it again. The top 10-20 3pt FGs made list will be 90% different in 10 years. In 20 years Curry might not even be considered the best shooter in history anymore because of the Like-Curry effect. Especially considering his profile isn't as rare as MJ's 6-6 48in-vert.
    yeah ****ing right. Curry will be the best shooter in NBA history for the next 50 years. his type of talent doesn't grow on trees.

NBA rookie of the year

It's not enough that Lebron turned these guys into FMVPs but he also made them the best 3PT shooters in the league.

Decent playground baller Hizack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax
    It's not enough that Lebron turned these guys into FMVPs but he also made them the best 3PT shooters in the league.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Bro you been watching too much first take.

Shooting, just like jumping, is definitely an innate skill. You can work on your vertical just like you can work on your shot. But simply working on being the best shooter won't make you the best shooter unless you have a predisposition to be a really really good shooter, in which case Curry did have an innate talent for that.

His hand-eye coordination is rare. Dude was born to shoot.

Kawhi been balling

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Reggie Miller at his absolute best wouldn't even be a top 20 3 point shooter this season - in fact most of his career he shot worse from 3 than Mathew Dellavedova is shooting

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqTwizzle
    Whoa man what?

Reggie "at his best" made 2.8 a game on .427%

I think the list of guys today who are bettering that is very, very small.
    Not even sure you can find 5 guys bettering that efficiency/volume combo.

Not really.
    Della is making 1.2 per game on 42%

Miller had about a 10 year stretch making 2.2 at 41%... and obviously he wasn't a nobody roleplayer scoring on mostly open kickouts.
    He was almost always the best offensive player on his team and the main focus of opposing defenses.
    This ^

Not to mention that we're only like 20 games into the season...

Oh, and Reggie was only ONCE top5 in 3P%, that's right... The impressive thing was his 3P% PLUS his volume, his PPG, his FG% and his FT%, even his clutch play and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by HenryGarfunkle
    Bro you been watching too much first take.

Shooting, just like jumping, is definitely an innate skill. You can work on your vertical just like you can work on your shot. But simply working on being the best shooter won't make you the best shooter unless you have a predisposition to be a really really good shooter, in which case Curry did have an innate talent for that.

His hand-eye coordination is rare. Dude was born to shoot.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 12-05-2015 at 11:04 AM.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Velocirap31
    The spurs are running a whole new "system" from years past. If this is a system...every player ever is a product of one.

In 20 years Curry might not even be considered the best shooter in history anymore because of the Like-Curry effect.
    I don't think so. For 10 years after MJ retired, there was a "Like Mike" effect. It resulted in Kobe, Tmac, and maybe Vince Carter, than then a dozen-plus terrible imitators. And all three of the players I name were much better when they were not trying to be "Like Mike."

Being "Like the Bulls" never resulted in a single title. Instead, teams that were "Like the Rockets" and "Like the Knicks" and "Like the Jazz" won the titles in the 2000s, because those are better models for teams in general.

MJ, like Curry, was a transcendent talent, an all-time great, and utterly impossible to imitate.

We've seen dozens of guys who attempted what Curry is achieving. It never worked for anyone else. Everyone from Gilbert Arenas to Eddie House: either they were sparks off the bench or you wished they would settle for 3s less.

I think over the next 20 years, lots of players will pattern their game plans on Curry, and lots of teams plan around the Warriors, and that none of them will succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocirap31

Then why isn't everyone on the Spurs shooting 50%?

Remember a couple of years ago when they changed the way 3 point shots were being called and as a result we had an insane amount of 4 point plays during the playoffs? Causing the defenders to back off even more. Of course it's going to cause the percentages to up even more.