Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Those calling for McHale to be fired.....

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    What is he supposed to do to motivate them? Waive pom-pom's? Kevin is an enthusiastic coach. Its not likes hes sitting there in a coma.

If professionals cant muster the energy to play hard, then that team has the wrong guys on its roster.
    bench those who are lackluster and play those who have hunger.
    insult them in media to light a fire under their ass.

haven't you ever watched how PJax manage his teams?

he low key insults them during interviews when he dislikes their lackluster play, then he goes and give bench guys big minutes to insult his starters. then he goes and shows them what past greats did and tells them they'll never measure up.

motivation is part of a coach's job description. if you can't do it, you're not fit for the job.

Josh Smith carried that team last year

I'm flummoxed that some of you honestly believe that discipline and motivation are McHale's job. These are grown f*cking men who pull in seven-figure salaries to play a children's game. If you need Kevin McHale to motivate you to do that, you are completely hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    I'm flummoxed that some of you honestly believe that discipline and motivation are McHale's job. These are grown f*cking men who pull in seven-figure salaries to play a children's game. If you need Kevin McHale to motivate you to do that, you are completely hopeless.
    Everyone needs a fire lit under their ass at times to exert the extra peg of effort; it applies to all fields, not just basketball. It's easy for hands-off spectators of the game to trivialize it as a "children's game," but the fact is that they have to work just as hard as, if not harder than, most profressional spheres in order to survive in the ultra-competitive field of profressional sports. They are susceptible to burnouts--both physically and mentally--as well; at that threshold, it's easy to have a coast-along mentality wherein they play hard but not to the extent needed to win games, which is where the oft-needed motivator can come in.

Workers will eventually feel a safety cushion for not working extra-hard if they aren't reproached, and the most authoritative person to reproach it is one who commands respect from them AND let's them know there'll be daunting consequences otherwise; that's where motivationally great coaches come into play.

5-time NBA All-Star

There are too many different universes on that team.

There's the Bearded Pirate trying to steal Kardasian booty world going on.
    The Big goofy world of the smiling girl chaser.
    The think he still in the higher altitudes PG that is actively seeking a burger joint.
    Would you be surprised if you saw coach introduce Treva to Thorton.

Kind of on McHale for this.

5-time NBA All-Star

There are too many different universes on that team.

There's the Bearded Pirate trying to steal Kardasian booty world going on.
    The Big goofy world of the smiling girl chaser.
    The think he still in the higher altitudes PG that is actively seeking a burger joint.
    Would you be surprised if you saw coach introduce Treva to Thorton.

Kind of on McHale for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    i'm flummoxed that you think grown f*cking men don't need to be disciplined and motivated. they're just like any normal person, prone to bouts of negligence and discouragement. you think if a company hires a manager they won't expect him to motivate and discipline their employees? where the f*ck did you study?

just because basketball is a sport doesn't mean this isn't a job like any other for these athletes. this is a job like any other, and coaching is a job like that of a supervisor. it is within his job description to "discipline and motivate" among other things.
    Last edited by I<3NBA; 11-17-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Decent playground baller LikeMike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black and White
    Do you see the level of effort the Rockets play with? No amount of coaching can change that.

Look at the players first, then McHale, I understand the coach is always the scapegoat
    So coaches aren't responsible for motivation and chemistry issues now?

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Granted some of these players are idiots with poor work ethics who don't take well to discipline but it's still up to the coach. What you're seeing is the result of relaxed practices, drills and a overall passive environment behind the scene. Part of me think McHale is afraid to toughen them up because they have some egos on that team who may just start a mutiny. These guys probably don't respond well to discipline and practicing hard because they think they're already stars with their fat contracts, past success, hookers and marketability.

People on ISH love to clown players like Delladova but guys like him have a place on every team. Especially if you already have a few stars on the team those lunch pale workers are needed to balance the team out and do the dirty work the lebron james of the league won't.