Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Default Re: Better peak: Chris Paul or Steph Curry (so far)

This somewhat reminds me of a Robertson vs. West comparison, at least in offensive styles, with CP3 as Big O and Curry as West. However West was a better defender than Big O, while CP3 is better than Curry on that end. And his small size (6'0) prevents him from being a great post player like Big O. While Curry, like West had a very quick shot release off the dribble with greater shooting range than Oscar/CP3. He may a better ball handler than West, but is not even close defensively. Honestly there is no wrong answer.

Jerry West on the comparison between him and Oscar:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...9&postcount=42

Who’s better, Oscar or me? This is the one single question that has been asked more often that any other since I’ve been playing basketball. And it is really for others to decide, if it can be decided. But I personally have always felt that Oscar was the best.

He has had two big advantages over me. Number one: while we play the same position, he has greater size, which gives him some advantages. And number two: he’s a better ballhandler and passer. That’s for sure. I think we’re about equal as shooters. I’m a better outside shooter, but Oscar is better inside. I may have two advantages over him. One, I’m better defensively. And two (and I’m being so honest about this that it scares me a little), I do believe I’ve played better and done more than he has in certain situations when it counts the most.

Steph is a player who you can depend on in the playoffs. He even did it in his first playoff run making the 2nd round. It

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

[QUOTE=All Net]Steph is a player who you can depend on in the playoffs. He even did it in his first playoff run making the 2nd round. It

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    wat, cp3 always consistently put up great numbers in the playoffs
    No he hasn't. He's also made bonehead plays that has cost his team a series. They had game 5 won in OKC until his stupid mistake.

CP3 for me. Better defender. Better passer. Better ball control.

Curry is the better shooter and off-ball scorer.

2008 Paul was retarded good. Funny how people forget how good he was before the knee. Paul could also play in any era.

Curry is great too, but I wanna see how he does when every point guard he faces isn't injured.

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

This is probably going to sound stupid but while I think that Paul is the better player (i.e. Higher Peak), I'd go with Stephen Curry on my team seeing as his Peak isn't all that worse than Paul's, and he has shown us that he can get it done in the playoffs as All Net has previously stated. If Paul can take down Curry however this postseason and get his Clippers the title, my opinion will change. I doubt he'll do it though, seeing as he has choked away a Game 7 vs the Spurs in NO, gave up a 2-0 series lead against the Grizzlies, had one of the worst choke jobs I've seen against the Thunder (only outdone by the Michigan Punter Fumble vs. Michigan State), and watched his team go up 3-1 in the playoffs almost without his help only to lose 3 straight once he came back and lose the series (including blowing a 19-point lead in a close out game). Overall his track record isn't too impressive, whereas Curry has upset a team in his first playoff appearance and pushed the Spurs as a young inexperienced team, and just a year after a playoff disappointment against the Clippets came back to easily win the title. Paul has the accolades, but Curry has that edge

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWade
    This is probably going to sound stupid but while I think that Paul is the better player (i.e. Higher Peak), I'd go with Stephen Curry on my team seeing as his Peak isn't all that worse than Paul's
    This is debatable.

and he has shown us that he can get it done in the playoffs as All Net has previously stated. If Paul can take down Curry however this postseason and get his Clippers the title, my opinion will change.
    CP3 has to get to the Finals now, the Conference Finals can't be his Goal.

I doubt he'll do it though, seeing as he has choked away a Game 7 vs the Spurs in NO, gave up a 2-0 series lead against the Grizzlies, had one of the worst choke jobs I've seen against the Thunder (only outdone by the Michigan Punter Fumble vs. Michigan State), and watched his team go up 3-1 in the playoffs almost without his help only to lose 3 straight once he came back and lose the series (including blowing a 19-point lead in a close out game).
    In 2013 he played great. Blake got hurt and despite Paul's efforts the team still lost.

He played in Games 3 & 4 vs the Rockets.

Overall his track record isn't too impressive, whereas Curry has upset a team in his first playoff appearance and pushed the Spurs as a young inexperienced team, and just a year after a playoff disappointment against the Clippets came back to easily win the title. Paul has the accolades, but Curry has that edge
    Curry faced injured teams in that title run and it he didn't "easily win it", easily winning it is the '89 Pistons, '92 Bulls, '01 Lakers.

Curry, CP3 has always flattered to deceive. Has had two very good big men and a perennial 6th man of the year and can't get it done.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWade
    This is probably going to sound stupid but while I think that Paul is the better player (i.e. Higher Peak), I'd go with Stephen Curry on my team seeing as his Peak isn't all that worse than Paul's, and he has shown us that he can get it done in the playoffs as All Net has previously stated. If Paul can take down Curry however this postseason and get his Clippers the title, my opinion will change. I doubt he'll do it though, seeing as he has choked away a Game 7 vs the Spurs in NO, gave up a 2-0 series lead against the Grizzlies, had one of the worst choke jobs I've seen against the Thunder (only outdone by the Michigan Punter Fumble vs. Michigan State), and watched his team go up 3-1 in the playoffs almost without his help only to lose 3 straight once he came back and lose the series (including blowing a 19-point lead in a close out game). Overall his track record isn't too impressive, whereas Curry has upset a team in his first playoff appearance and pushed the Spurs as a young inexperienced team, and just a year after a playoff disappointment against the Clippets came back to easily win the title. Paul has the accolades, but Curry has that edge
    This is detailed, but I feel it's a straw man.

That was his 1st playoff run vs. the Spurs in NO back in '07-08. If we expect a team's leader to be flawless in his first playoff run that's pretty harsh. He lost a Game 7 at home to the defending champs that was a 1 possession game late in the fourth quarter (pretty sure it was a 1-possession game with ~1 minute left). You could argue that the Hornets took it to the Spurs more than the '13 Warriors did.

Steph got banged up vs. the Spurs (after shocking them initially). Games 3,5,6 were all wins for Spurs and they weren't exactly nail-biters (10, 18, 12 point wins, respectively). They did upset the Nuggets, which I didn't see coming.

LAC lost in 2012 to Spurs with both BG and CP3 banged up. They were both pretty clearly slowed down imo. In 2013 vs. Memphis in the first round BG had a high ankle sprain in Game 5 (after not playing particularly well throughout the series) and Del Negro had Lamar Odom closing out fourth quarters. Pretty sure that was the series where CP3 was deploring the coaching staff for a back-up play during their last time out in one late game situation and it was obvious there would be a coaching change after the season.

He clearly choked in Game 5 vs. OKC. The whole team choked vs. Houston and he does deserve a lot of that blame.

I think one thing we never talk about re: CP3 is the fact he tends to have muscle injuries in the playoffs. This was the 2nd consecutive postseason where he struggled with a hamstring. His durability can def be questioned, but maybe that's a result of him being so small in stature. Curry has at least been healthy past 2 postseasons, which is a credit to his durability and the training staff.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    And Curry was outplayed by injuried Kyrie in game 1, and the un-athletic journeyman Rugby player defended him quite well in games 1 - game 3.
    How your boy Rose do against that man in the ECF?