Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Who's the most famous person you've hooped with?

Not in the NBA (yet) but I played Josh Langford (5 star recruit that committed to Mich. St.) He dropped 41 points on me.

NBA rookie of the year BarberSchool's Avatar

2 famous people:
    Vince Vaughan. Curtis Granderson.
    Vaughan is as tall as me, but unbelievably lead footed. Moves like he's 60. Granderson is quick and strong, but way shorter than his listed height (like 5'10"), and is a selfish chucker with sh!tty handles.

As far as ballplayers go....Craig Hodges impressed me most, as even at 40+, he had legit 27ft dependable, comfortable range.

In the league where Hodges played, Ron Olesiak was a ref. And I have not met many dudes who are more of an insufferable @sshole than that old stubborn racist cocksu@ker. In a world where I could get away with murder, Ron Olesiak would be one guy I'd choke to death, while having an intense convo with about how awful a MF he really is, in his last moments.

NBA rookie of the year BarberSchool's Avatar

As for current/recent players.....

Corey Maggette. Nasty. Physically way stronger than you would ever think.

Steven Hunter. He sucked big time as a high schooler. Very physically weak and timid. our center held him to i think 8.

Andre Igoudala was also nasty and with arms even longer than you expect. And you expect long @ss arms. Them sh!ts are like 7fters arms.

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

back in the early 2000's when I was in college, there was a player on the Spurs named Derrick Dial. The guy was a 14th-15th man, rarely suited up, most of the time he was in street clothes. He used to live in my parents neighborhood and he would come shoot around at the clubhouse courts.

He would come by to shoot around at night and if there were enough people we would play pick up games. this guy was easily the fastest one on the court and he would rarely miss a shot. It amazed me how a guy who can barely sniff the court be so good. then it got me thinking how great some of the superstars like kobe and duncan are compared to the average joe. they must be godlike.

later on, George Hill moved a few houses down. I would see him occasionally with his lowrider. Also met Dejuan Blair. he would roll with George Hill all the time.

Also talked to Manu Ginobili at Costco. he was looking at a TV and I walked up next to him and he was telling me about aspect ratios and frame rates lol. hes a really cool guy.
    Last edited by SsKSpurs21; 10-26-2015 at 12:53 PM.

NBA Superstar

I outscored a 44-year-old Lindsey Hunter with a bad knee during a couple of rec league games last year. That's probably going to be about as good as it gets for me, haha.

Hunter's team was pretty solidly talented, including Pierre Dukes from Oakland University (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q2dc2UixlI), so Hunter wasn't a guy who had to try to shoulder the scoring load or anything. Also, he really liked to pull from 25 feet, so I lucked out there. I'm sure even four years prior, a little healthier and/or more motivated, he would have just blazed past me into the paint at will.

He iso'd me and tried to break my ankles in one instance, getting the crowd (yeah, people would randomly show up for his team's games) all riled up by executing something like three or four cross-and-stepbacks in a row, but it was a managable assignment because I knew he was just looking to fire a jumper (as opposed to penetrating) and I induced an airball.

I was interested in his athleticism at age 44 so we chatted a little afterward. He said he could still dunk and mentioned his best dunk was likely a crush he had on James Posey when Hunter played in L.A. I've been looking for footage of that dunk ever since.

Very good NBA starter

I played against some former national champs in my small Euro country. I don't think they were even pros back then in the league. To give you an idea of how far from the NBA they were, there was one guy they played against in the league who went on to have a decent college career, but going to the US wasn't common back then even for talented players. I do think one or two of those guys could have done ok in college for smaller schools.

I do know that one of the old guys (in their early 40s likely), could still throw down and dominated guys 20 years younger. Was pretty funny seeing how young talents would try to guard him, but couldn't due to his athleticism and long ass arms.

Learned a lot from playing those games, also learned to run the fastbreak like a maniac, pretty much the only way to score consistently against players much better than you but who carry too many pounds around the waist. Also learned to have a nice little one handed floater, Parker style, to avoid getting blocked on a drive.

Some of you guys seem to have had real careers. I am very jealous of those of you who tried the whole high school/college athlete lifestyle. That was really my childhood dream. Cheerleaders and a crowd for games and all that.

Chris Herren, former Nuggets/Celtics point guard and something of a legend where I grew up. Injuries ended up ending his NBA career after two seasons and he spent some time playing in Europe, China and Iran before he finally stopped playing pro (a crippling opioid addiction didn't help either).

ESPN did a 30 for 30 movie about him called Unguarded and its worth checking out. He spends his time now speaking about addiction and doing one-on-one instruction with kids who are shooting to play ball in college or beyond.

He was a senior at Durfee High when my generation of athletes were about to enter high school. During his college years when he'd come home from Fresno, he'd show up at the Bank St Armory, Luke Urban Fieldhouse or some other spot and just absolutely destroy all comers in full-court ball, yours truly among them. if not for his drug offenses, he was a shoe-in for the lottery in the 99 draft.

NBA Superstar

Shannon scott

Quote Originally Posted by Penny37
    Used to play a lot of pickup with Henry Bekkering
    Dude can fly!!

I shot around with Matt Bonner one time, as well as Jamaal Magloire

Not airballing my layups anymore

Kevin Hart.

With the real goat. Sabonis.

Banned

i'm the most famous person i've ever played basketball with

so to answer O.P

myself

i'm very well known on the internet and around my city

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    i'm the most famous person i've ever played basketball with

so to answer O.P

myself

i'm very well known on the internet and around my city
    Alpha. This is the kind of alpha we need on ish. I'd buy an ISH t-shirt if there were more alpha posters like kenneth here.