Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Last of Us is the best game ever made

Funny how people are attacking my character because of a silly list. Who's 15 here?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    You guys are really gonna judge someone's age by their favorite games? I'm 22.

****ing morons
    When did I say anything about your age? I'm judging a horrible list for being a horrible list.

Quote Originally Posted by 24-Inch_Chrome
    When did I say anything about your age? I'm judging a horrible list for being a horrible list.
    I don't understand. How can a subjective list of my personal favorite games be horrible? Are you telling me those aren't my favorite games?

Or are you implying that some of the games on the list are horrible?
    Last edited by Heavincent; 10-25-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Banned

I don't understand. How can a subjective list of my personal favorite games be horrible?

Or are you implying that some of the games on the list are horrible?
    The thread title states that Last of Us is the best game ever made, not your favourite. The list itself is titled "Top 10 GOAT." No one can really take issue with someone's favourite games as that is purely subjective, but calling a game like Last of Us the GOAT game is a statement that will create (and honestly deserves) criticism.

I don't think I'd call any of those games horrible, but there's not a game on that list that should make it onto a top 10 GOAT list. No Nintendo (Zelda, Mario, Metroid)? No true PC games (DOOM, Half-Life, UT, Diablo, etc.)? Lack of the best Playstation titles (Original MGS, FFVII, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.)?

Omitting these games/franchises, all of which either are or contain top 10 GOAT candidates really takes away from your list's credibility. Hence my comparison to a basketball list that features LeBron or Kobe at #1.

The thread title states that Last of Us is the best game ever made, not your favourite. The list itself is titled "Top 10 GOAT." No one can really take issue with someone's favourite games as that is purely subjective, but calling a game like Last of Us the GOAT game is a statement that will create (and honestly deserves) criticism.

I don't think I'd call any of those games horrible, but there's not a game on that list that should make it onto a top 10 GOAT list. No Nintendo (Zelda, Mario, Metroid)? No true PC games (DOOM, Half-Life, UT, Diablo, etc.)? Lack of the best Playstation titles (Original MGS, FFVII, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.)?

Omitting these games/franchises, all of which either are or contain top 10 GOAT candidates really takes away from your list's credibility. Hence my comparison to a basketball list that features LeBron or Kobe at #1.
    Those are the 10 best games to me. Simple as that.

Basketball is far more objective than an entertainment medium such as gaming.

Banned

Those are the 10 best games to me. Simple as that.

Basketball is far more objective than an entertainment medium such as gaming.
    Then don't title the list "Top 10 GOAT."

Not really. The all-time great games are damn near universally recognized as such. The only exceptions come from those who don't know what they're talking about because they haven't experienced nearly enough.

Banned

Not really. The all-time great games are damn near universally recognized as such. The only exceptions come from those who don't know what they're talking about because they haven't experienced nearly enough.
    The reason to use top 10 goat and the thread heading is purely for a reaction imo

And all of the games on my list were universally praised as all time greats within their respective genres

Banned

And all of the games on my list were universally praised as all time greats within their respective genres
    Relative to recent or contemporary competition, some of them might be. All-time? Nope. Not even close. Even if we limit greatness only to their genres.

The list was enough to make it clear that you don't have anywhere near enough experience to have any credibility as far as evaluating games on an all-time scale, nothing that you're posting is doing anything to fix that.

I mean, shit, you've admitted that you have minimal experience on the two most important systems/brands when it comes to all-time great games in the PC and Nintendo, but you're still trying to argue your case? FOH. That's like a 12 year old who only watches LeBron trying to argue that Bron is the GOAT.

In fact, most of the games on my list were pioneers, except maybe Mass Effect 2, which just expanded on the first game.

TLOU - Widely regarded as the best storytelling ever seen in a game. Combines it with tense stealth action gameplay that perfectly compliments the narrative.

Red Dead Redemption - Hey, lets look at all the other great open world games set in the old west: ummmm.......

MGS V: Revolutionized stealth gameplay with the open world and how many ways to there are to tackle each mission.

Gears of War: Widely regarded as one of the best third person shooters ever. Revolutionized cover based shooters.

MGS 3: Widely regarded as the best game in one of the most iconic series in gaming (although I personally prefer V).

MGS 2: Insane meta narrative unlike anything ever seen in a game. Fun top down stealth gameplay.

Chaos Theory: Widely regarded as one of the best stealth games ever.

Crash 3: Widely regarded as one of, if not THE best platformer on the PS1.

People seem to be more mad about what isn't on my list rather than what is. It all comes down to genre preference.

Relative to recent or contemporary competition, some of them might be. All-time? Nope. Not even close. Even if we limit greatness only to their genres.
    Ridiculous. Almost all of them are, as explained above.

I mean, shit, you've admitted that you have minimal experience on the two most important systems/brands when it comes to all-time great games in the PC and Nintendo, but you're still trying to argue your case? FOH. That's like a 12 year old who only watches LeBron trying to argue that Bron is the GOAT.
    Sorry I didn't own every system. PS1 was my shit when I was younger. I don't care to spend the money and time to go back and purchase every Nintendo system and build a gaming PC. I'm not gonna hate on someone's movie taste just because there are some classics they haven't seen.

And again with accusing me of being a teenager. Just because someone leans toward more modern games doesn't mean they're a teenager. Get off your high horse.

Banned

If you have only played (and have no interest in playing other previous games) a tiny section of games you aren't in a position to make a "top 10 GOAT list". Should have called it "My favourite 10 games".

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    If you have only played (and have no interest in playing other previous games) a tiny section of games you aren't in a position to make a "top 10 GOAT list". Should have called it "My favourite 10 games".
    No shit...whatever list you or anyone else comes up with is just your favorite games. Every list is subjective and comes down to genre preferences.

I thought it was assumed that it was just my 10 favorite games...that's all anyone's list is because it's impossible to make a 100% objective list. A lot of it is apples and oranges anyway. Comparing a turn based RPG to a stealth game is asinine. It's like comparing a defensive lineman to a receiver. They do completely different things, so what's the point in comparing them?

Banned

Ridiculous. Almost all of them are, as explained above.

Sorry I didn't own every system. PS1 was my shit when I was younger. I don't care to spend the money and time to go back and purchase every Nintendo system and build a gaming PC. I'm not gonna hate on someone's movie taste just because there are some classics they haven't seen.

And again with accusing me of being a teenager. Just because someone leans toward more modern games doesn't mean they're a teenager. Get off your high horse.
    If you can just admit that you're ignorant on the subject then I'll leave it alone. All you need to try the majority of these games is a regular computer and an emulator, your excuses just aren't good enough if you want to be taken seriously. You're basically admitting that you have zero experience but simultaneously arguing that it shouldn't be held against you. Ridiculous.

In fact, most of the games on my list were pioneers, except maybe Mass Effect 2, which just expanded on the first game.

TLOU - Widely regarded as the best storytelling ever seen in a game. Combines it with tense stealth action gameplay that perfectly compliments the narrative.

Red Dead Redemption - Hey, lets look at all the other great open world games set in the old west: ummmm.......

MGS V: Revolutionized stealth gameplay with the open world and how many ways to there are to tackle each mission.

Gears of War: Widely regarded as one of the best third person shooters ever. Revolutionized cover based shooters.

MGS 3: Widely regarded as the best game in one of the most iconic series in gaming (although I personally prefer V).

MGS 2: Insane meta narrative unlike anything ever seen in a game. Fun top down stealth gameplay.

Chaos Theory: Widely regarded as one of the best stealth games ever.

Crash 3: Widely regarded as one of, if not THE best platformer on the PS1.

People seem to be more mad about what isn't on my list rather than what is. It all comes down to genre preference.
    All you're doing is narrowing your definition of greatness bit by bit to fit each individual game. That you've had to do that at all is telling. You've had to compromise from top 10 GOAT to favourites to greatest in genres, but only in certain areas. The true GOAT-tier games don't have to compromise.

Yawn. If all you've got on that argument is storytelling (possibly the most subjective aspect of video games?) then you don't have much.

Wow, GTA in the Wild West. Really groundbreaking.

MGS 1 is the best game in that series. MGS V revolutionized nothing.

Gears of War is nowhere near the best shooter, majority of third person shooters are shit.

Thief >>>

I can't even write a response to the last one, just

If you can just admit that you're ignorant on the subject then I'll leave it alone. All you need to try the majority of these games is a regular computer and an emulator, your excuses just aren't good enough if you want to be taken seriously. You're basically admitting that you have zero experience but simultaneously arguing that it shouldn't be held against you. Ridiculous.
    First of all, I've played a lot of the classics mentioned like Half Life 2, Golden Eye and various Mario games (not long after they were released). Some of the other ones like Final Fantasy I just have little interest in.

Secondly, I'm not claiming to be some authority. Yes, I'll concede you are more knowledgeable of retro games. Happy? You're taking this shit too seriously just because he have different tastes.

Wow, GTA in the Wild West. Really groundbreaking.
    Okay, lets act like people weren't asking "how come there's never been a great game set in the old west?" before RDR came out.

MGS 1 is the best game in that series. MGS V revolutionized nothing.
    Show me all of the other open world stealth games of MGS V's quality.

Gears of War is nowhere near the best shooter, majority of third person shooters are shit.
    You contradicted yourself within two sentences. I agree third person shooters have gotten boring, Gears was one of the few that does it right.

Thief >>>
    Yes, another game that is regarded as one of the best in the stealth genre, along with Chaos Theory and the MGS games.
    Last edited by Heavincent; 10-26-2015 at 12:19 AM.