Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Default What were T Mac's major weaknesses in his prime?

Besides his work ethic.

Also if he was currently in his prime, where would he be ranked? Top 10 player in the league?

Banned

Default Re: What were T Mac's major weaknesses in his prime?

His back

I think any flaws were more mental than anything, whether it be will, or that cut-throat edge that MJ/Kobe had. In terms of skill, you'd be hard-pressed to find any major weaknesses.

None. GOAT player.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    Besides his work ethic.

Also if he was currently in his prime, where would he be ranked? Top 10 player in the league?
    He would be rated clearly below LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis and he would be in the mix of players like Steph curry, James Harden, Russell Westbrook and Chris Paul. I would probably rank a prime McGrady about the fifth or sixth best player in the NBA if he were active today.

He also never seemed to fully commit himself on the defensive end of things.

We also have to account for how today's game would impact TMac. 2003 was a tough defensive year and he was putting up 32/6/6 on 46%. He had all the tools to be even more dynamic in this current era.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    I think any flaws were more mental than anything, whether it be will, or that cut-throat edge that MJ/Kobe had. In terms of skill, you'd be hard-pressed to find any major weaknesses.
    You said it. His game had no weakness. Maybe a slightly inconsistent jumper.

Once injuries started coming he became too reliant on the jumper and stopped taking it to the hole, where he was unstoppable.

He also wasn't a leader and could never get guys to play up for him.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Leadership

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Top 10?

LOL.

2002-2003 T-mac would be fighting with Durant for best player besides Lebron right now.

NBA rookie of the year

inb4 someone says the second round

NBA rookie of the year

He was too tall which made him a slower, less agile version of Kobe.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Where T-Mac fell really short was in the intangibles. Competitiveness, leadership, work ethic - I can't think of a superstar who possessed less of those attributes than him. He had a 'I did my part' mindset towards the game, where as long as he got his numbers and the team did relatively well (made playoffs), he was content.

Skill-wise, he certainly didn't have an exploitable weakness, but despite his elite athleticism, he was never a very good finisher nor even that good at getting to the line. His at-rim percentages and FT rate lag well behind other superstar swingmen of the 00's and 10's, making him a lot more dependent on the jumper than them. His game did lack a certain shiftiness/change of direction quality to it. He was more of a straight-line player and that's probably what prevented him from getting to the line much.
    Last edited by Indian guy; 10-21-2015 at 02:39 PM.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    Where T-Mac fell really short was in the intangibles. Competitiveness, leadership, work ethic - I can't think of a superstar who possessed less of those attributes than him. He had a 'I did my part' mindset towards the game, where as long as he got his numbers and the team did relatively well (made playoffs), he was content.

Skill-wise, he certainly didn't have an exploitable weakness, but despite his elite athleticism, he was never a very good finisher nor even that good at getting to the line. His at-rim percentages and FT rate lag well behind other superstar swingmen of the 00's and 10's, making him a lot more dependent on the jumper than them. His game did lack a certain shiftiness/change of direction quality to it. He was more of a straight-line player and that's probably what prevented him from getting to the line much.
    Thank you for this thoughtful response. I appreciate it

Similarly to how I feel too.

T Mac's jumper wasn't that reliable for sure despite looking really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy

Yup. The Wilt mentality.

He was allergic to the secon--

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    inb4 someone says the second round
    man, [COLOR="Black"]f[/COLOR]uck you.