National High School Star CJ Mustard's Avatar

Default Is Offensive basket interference the dumbest rule in sports?

Literally makes no sense whatsoever. Why is that a rule?

Default Re: Is Offensive basket interference the dumbest rule in sports?

College basketball outlawed offensive goaltending in 1956, along with the free throw rule due to dominating big men like Wilt & Russell.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=253531

Toledo Blade - November 28, 1956

It seems Wilt has an unorthodox method of shooting free throws. The big guy takes aim at the basket from several feet behind the line. Then he takes about three giant steps, leaves his feet before reaching the line, and stuffs the ball through the hoop. Under the old rule, it was perfectly legal as Wilt never touched the floor before letting go of the ball. In addition his percentage was fantastic. "Why, he would have had a free throw percentage of 100," said [Tex] Winter. "He never missed." Incidentally the rules committee did not mention Chamberlain by name as a reason for the change. The rule change was made, according to the committee, "to prevent freak activity."

I rule the local playground

Suppose the offensive player is allowed to rebound a ball while it's still over the cylinder, but the defenders can't touch it? Gives a rather large advantage to the defender. Now suppose it's the early 60s and a handful of players are playing above the rim. They can just catch their teammates shots on the way down for easy dunks, while the defenders can't try to block those catches because that would be goaltending. Most rules like this were put in place to limit Wilt or Mikan.

Yes it definitely is. I can remember a bulls match, think it was last year, where the Bulls lost because offensive goaltending was called.

Stupid fvck

Edit: it was 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-6JDqwM4PQ

If it was Blake Griffin it would have been an alley oop
    Last edited by Gileraracer; 10-21-2015 at 04:07 AM.

I don't see why it's stupid.

If it were allowed you'd have teams drafting 7'4+ players just so they could tip the ball in all game.