Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Bleacher Report exposes Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySeinfeld
    It's a shame he had that Bron syndrome.. could have been the GOAT
    Just like it's a shame you have that down syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by Phenith
    What a loser, he only scored triple digits in a professional basketball game, how can people think he was any good, SMH.

Open your eyes people, they guy was a legendary baller, it doesn't matter how much you try to diminish his achievements, he will still be a legend of the game.
    nobody is saying he's not a legend, just that the 100 point game is overrated

the writer has good evidence to backup his claim

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    11 wins team

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

I always felt that it was such a deliberate number. Not 101 not 102 or 99. But a solid 100. For the highest record ever.

And oh what a coincidence there was no camera in a professional nba basketball. Or atleast no surfaced evidence. Except what people write and say.

Atleast with kobes 81 we can all watch whenever the heck we want. He wasnt physically dominant for his era. U can say that the raptors were crap. But then think of all the great superstars throughout history who faced plenty of crappy teams in the season and never hit 81.

I crunched some numbers and have concluded that Wilt's 100 point game was worth 18 points in today's league

Utter, pure bullshit. None of his "arguments" is anything new that hasn't been exposed itself. He doesn't even try to make a good case out of it by thinking that finding all kinds of negative stuff and adding them together will enhance his argument. So, ironically, he mentions shots per quarter, then goes on to say "and that's not even considering pace". Seriously, dude? You think taking all these shots is something pace hasn't contributed in? Funnily enough, there have been worse ballhogging exhibitions when you adjust for pace and there have been multiple more efficient games by Wilt himself (even Wilt knew about it and had mentioned it), which, adjusted for pace and possessions, would also give him more than 100 "adjusted points". So, even if you want to discredit Wilt's 100 pointer due to pace, efficiency, possessions, you still have to remain in Wilt's territory.
    Not to mention that Wilt's 100 pointer was a bigger outlier in its own era compared to the next most impressive scoring feat than Kobe's 81 was. That is, someone had come closer to match Kobe's 81 in Kobe's era than anyone had come to match Wilt's 100 in his own era.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Utter, pure bullshit. None of his "arguments" is anything new that hasn't been exposed itself. He doesn't even try to make a good case out of it by thinking that finding all kinds of negative stuff and adding them together will enhance his argument. So, ironically, he mentions shots per quarter, then goes on to say "and that's not even considering pace". Seriously, dude? You think taking all these shots is something pace hasn't contributed in? Funnily enough, there have been worse ballhogging exhibitions when you adjust for pace and there have been multiple more efficient games by Wilt himself (even Wilt knew about it and had mentioned it), which, adjusted for pace and possessions, would also give him more than 100 "adjusted points". So, even if you want to discredit Wilt's 100 pointer due to pace, efficiency, possessions, you still have to remain in Wilt's territory.
    Not to mention that Wilt's 100 pointer was a bigger outlier in its own era compared to the next most impressive scoring feat than Kobe's 81 was. That is, someone had come closer to match Kobe's 81 in Kobe's era than anyone had come to match Wilt's 100 in his own era.
    What was the next highest non-Wilt total in his era? Baylor with 73 or something like that?

And the next highest non-Kobe? Depending on how you classify "era", David Robinson had 71, I think... AI, TMac, Arenas all eclipsed 60. But again, it's how we classify era.

Edit because I don't consider Robinson as playing in Kobe's era. Closest point total in Kobe's era is 62 by Melo.
    Last edited by kshutts1; 10-20-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    What was the next highest non-Wilt total in his era? Baylor with 73 or something like that?

And the next highest non-Kobe? Depending on how you classify "era", David Robinson had 71, I think... AI, TMac, Arenas all eclipsed 60. But again, it's how we classify era.
    Baylor had 71, so that's 71% of Wilt's performance. That's the equivalent of someone scoring 57.5 (essentially 58) in Kobe's era and Iverson had scored 60 in that very season, so it doesn't even matter what you define as Kobe's era.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Big Wilt fan here, but his 100 point game largely benefited from playing against 6'5'' white dudes.

Stalkerforlife a pedo

lets just get this straightened out,

First of all, the average height of the centers he played with were taller than today (though people tended to grow earlier back then, though I could be wrong)
    Second of all, IF YOU SCORE 100 POINTS, ITS ONE HUNDRED MOTHER F!CKING POINTS!

I'm fine with people not rating wilt, personally I don't rate him as high as others, but the Guy is a legend and would dominate in any era. Not 50 PPG dominant, but yes, he would dominate

Quote Originally Posted by DavisIsMyUniBro
    lets just get this straightened out,

First of all, the average height of the centers he played with were taller than today (though people tended to grow earlier back then, though I could be wrong)
    Second of all, IF YOU SCORE 100 POINTS, ITS ONE HUNDRED MOTHER F!CKING POINTS!

I'm fine with people not rating wilt, personally I don't rate him as high as others, but the Guy is a legend and would dominate in any era. Not 50 PPG dominant, but yes, he would dominate

Wilt would average about 15 and 9 if he were lucky in today's league

A scrawny gay dude with no post moves, no jumper, and deplorable FT shooting just isn't going to cut it these days

Good college starter

Only weird Wilt Stanleys like Lazeruss, CavaliersFTW, and Psileas actually think that Wilt's "fake moon landing" 100 point game is better than Kobe scoring 81 in the modern era.

Let's face it. These guys are jizzing their pants over a performance which there isn't even ANY footage of.

These guys are beyond weird because they're either:

1) 60+ year old men posting on a message board.

or

2) Super weird young dudes that think stanning oldschool players from the 50s and 60s somehow makes them "kewl". Like some hipster f*g who only listens to vinyl records and will scoff at your "inferior" MP3 playlist.

Stalkerforlife a pedo

Quote Originally Posted by sd3035

A scrawny gay dude with no post moves, no jumper, and deplorable FT shooting just isn't going to cut it these days
    Everyone knows I don't like wilt.

I didn't start respecting Lazarus as a poster until recently, though I concede his info is usually spot on.

The fact is, just because he was awkward in the post doesn't mean he was bad in the post. It works, that's what matters. Arguement said can be made that some of the moves he used back then wouldn't work today (that spin drop step move he did would occasionally work today, but not with the same success rate)

I personally don't rate wilt as high as others. But his peak is splitting hairs with shaq. His best 3 years are probably better than shaqs best 3 years.

Arguments could be made that his gaudy scoring totals didn't improve the team as much as they might have, but that arguement ignores the fact that his supporting cast, while underrated (they finished 20-20 before wilt left that first year, though granted they lost in a lot of blowouts)

But take out some locker room issues that are really, REALLY overblown, and I take wilt in my top 5 all time, possibly 4. He is a better player than some of the people I consider him below all time, and a lot of it has to do with situation.

The fact is, his athleticism is unmatched. I feel like it's overblown, because the only thing that really impresses me in a basketball sense is his vertical. (He was really fast, but the most athletic big men today aren't slugs compared to him imo. Davis tied with Tyreke in a sprint, who recorded a really fast time in the combine. Wilt probably has an extra step because it takes a while for him to accelerate. Tyreke is recorded as faster than Lebron)

But he would def be the best player on the nba today by a healthy margin.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by sd3035

Even if you are right about his offensive game and even if we all agree that Wilt will be a 15 ppg in todays game, the fact is that Wilt was the best rebounder in his era (he outrebounds Russell in their H2Hs by won almost every year the rebounding tittle), was the best passer (among centers), was the best shotblocker even in his twilight years.
    And yet people still talked about his FT ,as if he wouldn't excel in today's league ?

DeAndre Jordan. One of the best centers in NBA nowadays. The guy is even poorer FT shooter then Wilt and opposing teams intentionally fouled him in order to send him to the FT line. He is 11 ppg in his prime/career year. Why his coach keep him on the floor for 35 minutes per game ? Is he an idiot ? And why his team agreed to pay him more then 20 millions a year salary ?

And then ask Kareem and Russell if they think DeAndre was better player then Wilt.

Quote Originally Posted by IllegalD
    Only weird Wilt Stanleys like Lazeruss, CavaliersFTW, and Psileas actually think that Wilt's "fake moon landing" 100 point game is better than Kobe scoring 81 in the modern era.

Let's face it. These guys are jizzing their pants over a performance which there isn't even ANY footage of.

These guys are beyond weird because they're either:

1) 60+ year old men posting on a message board.

or

2) Super weird young dudes that think stanning oldschool players from the 50s and 60s somehow makes them "kewl". Like some hipster f*g who only listens to vinyl records and will scoff at your "inferior" MP3 playlist.
    If anything, what's not going to make you seem "kewl" in the real world is posting ad hominem drivel and mixing stupid conspiracy theories (=moon landing "hoax") and counter-"arguments" that make zero sense, like a game with no footage meaning that it can't be the GOAT performance.
    Btw, what's wrong with 60 y.o men posting? Their experience and sense of logic easily trump the ones that posters like you have. I'd rather have a talk with a 60 y.o than a "kewl" 20 y.o who, due to his inexperience, thinks he brings new stuff to the table while most of the time his ideas are either too vague/theoratical tired stuff that pretty much any average 20 y.o repeats or, even worse, completely out of reality.