Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Why doesn't this affect Tim Duncan's legacy??

Quote Originally Posted by VengefulAngel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRIMQi7X7mI

Any other top 10 player who misses a bunny like that in a game 7 would get destroyed by fans, why doesn't it seem to apply to TD.

Just playing Devil's advocate. Don't actually believe it should :P
    1. Fans are idiots and are critical over nothing crap. Duncan flying under the radar he's avoided the idiots.
    2. His legacy and career was already well established.
    3. Stop reminding me! We'd have one less lebron ring on our hands! lol.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hawk

Great post
    Thanks.. I think it should count against Duncan since he panic/choked and it might have cost his team the championship... But it shouldn't cost him anymore than Lebron missing the wide open 3-pointer and needing a lucky bounce on the offensive rebound in Game 6:

Of course, in MJ and Duncan's first meeting in 1997, MJ got his chance to hit the walk-off three-pointer to force OT - and he didn't miss (and then dominated the OT to win):

Quote Originally Posted by VengefulAngel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRIMQi7X7mI

Any other top 10 player who misses a bunny like that in a game 7 would get destroyed by fans, why doesn't it seem to apply to TD.

Just playing Devil's advocate. Don't actually believe it should :P
    Miami really had no business winning that series. They lost HCA after dropping game 2. Next 3 were played in SA, losing 2 of 3. Must have B2B wins to secure a title which is not an easy thing to do against SA.

Then the B2B FMVP drills a dagger right into Kawhi's eye to secure the game 7 win and retains the title.

Duncan't shot and put back weren't even contested. Battier didn't have the length to do so.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    Bullshit. Tim Duncan was in his prime in 05 and got a MAJOR pass , no one brings up how awful he was because he's a nice guy and an all time great.
    Duncan was amazing in 05...he completely changed every single play in the game just by touching the ball. It was a thing of beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Thanks.. I think it should count against Duncan since he panic/choked and it might have cost his team the championship... But it shouldn't cost him anymore than Lebron missing the wide open 3-pointer and needing a lucky bounce on the offensive rebound in Game 6:

Of course, in MJ and Duncan's first meeting in 1997, MJ got his chance to hit the walk-off three-pointer to force OT - and he didn't miss (and then dominated the OT to win):

But he missed a hell of a lot of other shots that game.

MJ went 12 for 39 shooting 30% with a .464TS%

29pts on 39FGA....

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...711030CHI.html

Let's keep making rehashed threads.

I would figure threads like this would just die out with Kblaze's post but eh.

NBA lottery pick

All of these are brought up way more consistently than any of Duncan's shortcoming bro, stop. I'm not saying he should be stripped of his acclaim and accolades but fact of the matter is this guy gets a major pass on most things. The Olympics the previous year is a good example.

6/24 is one game out of a series that no one seems to care that Kobe was balling out of his mind up until that game 7 in which he still made or facilitated all of the crucial plays for The Lakers down the stretch in the 4th, including 15 boards. Like I said above he averaged like 29 pts and 8 reb for the entire series.
    A lot of the crap people say about Kobe is in response to his idiot fan boys who never shut up about a guy who's not nearly as good as they claim he is. Duncan doesn't have fans running their mouths at nearly the same rate and as a result people don't feel the need to shoot him down. The only times people attack Duncan are when people point out that Kobe for example wasn't as good as he was over their careers. For some reason stating a fact that really isn't debatable leads to rage and all this talk about who was "alpha" (yes for some reason on these boards the concepts of alpha and beta males gets brought up though nobody seems to know what it means) on these teams. Oh and then of course the old joking Phil Jackson asterisk title stuff comes out (though I don't think they understand jackson was having fun?).

It's really just petty stuff where people who don't have the understanding of the game or don't understand basic mathematics to put analytics into context resort to petty name calling and insulting people because they feel that makes their favorite players better. For the most part Duncan doesn't have enough fans or loud enough fans to do this stuff. Plus his career is pretty well established as ahead of most of the people we see talked about by the petty fans. The end result is there's not much left to be said.

Now all of that said, if Duncan were a hair better he'd have 7+ titles at this point in his career. He's definitely come up short. That is why you never see people saying he's in Jordan or Kareem level though. He definitely could be there if he'd had a few more plays and honestly even some dumb luck could have moved him up those lists all be it perhaps not deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    But he missed a hell of a lot of other shots that game.

MJ went 12 for 39 shooting 30% with a .464TS%

29pts on 39FGA....

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...711030CHI.html
    That Bulls lineup looks horrific. No Pippen, aging Rodman and Harper, and Kukoc as the second option. Amazing that they won at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    A lot of the crap people say about Kobe is in response to his idiot fan boys who never shut up about a guy who's not nearly as good as they claim he is. Duncan doesn't have fans running their mouths at nearly the same rate and as a result people don't feel the need to shoot him down.
    And nothing more needs to be said.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    A lot of the crap people say about Kobe is in response to his idiot fan boys who never shut up about a guy who's not nearly as good as they claim he is. Duncan doesn't have fans running their mouths at nearly the same rate and as a result people don't feel the need to shoot him down. The only times people attack Duncan are when people point out that Kobe for example wasn't as good as he was over their careers. For some reason stating a fact that really isn't debatable leads to rage and all this talk about who was "alpha" (yes for some reason on these boards the concepts of alpha and beta males gets brought up though nobody seems to know what it means) on these teams. Oh and then of course the old joking Phil Jackson asterisk title stuff comes out (though I don't think they understand jackson was having fun?).

It's really just petty stuff where people who don't have the understanding of the game or don't understand basic mathematics to put analytics into context resort to petty name calling and insulting people because they feel that makes their favorite players better. For the most part Duncan doesn't have enough fans or loud enough fans to do this stuff. Plus his career is pretty well established as ahead of most of the people we see talked about by the petty fans. The end result is there's not much left to be said.

Now all of that said, if Duncan were a hair better he'd have 7+ titles at this point in his career. He's definitely come up short. That is why you never see people saying he's in Jordan or Kareem level though. He definitely could be there if he'd had a few more plays and honestly even some dumb luck could have moved him up those lists all be it perhaps not deserved.

BULLSHIT.

So would Kobe , if he were a hair better.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

His excuses are just as good as any of Tim's sad to say , that's probably not what you want to hear but it's true.

What's your point in the bold btw? Was Tim not playing with David Robinson during his first championship run? An all time great? Were Tony and Manu not crucial members of his Team in 03?

Manu had two twenty point games that SEASON playoffs included. He was a role player finding his way. Parker was still having people ask why Pop didnt bench him for Speedy Claxton more often and getting called out for shot selection by teammates. Duncan and Bowen were the only members of that team who were at the time...who they will be remembered as. That team was names...not people playing the games that earned them.

Drob was 54, Kevin Willis was even older and somehow still getting in 18 playoff games, Danny Ferry was spotted...somehow getting a start when he was probably 8% better at the time than he is...today. Malik Rose? THe guy whos career peaked with him a starter on a 20 win Knicks team that buried the myth of NY basketball being special?

Steve Smith had already drawn up retirement papers, Steve Kerr made 4 shots then promptly never played again, and the young players were the wildly up and down Parker, Manu in name only, Jackson looking ready to cuss Pop out for pulling him in games he was 2-12, and Speedy Claxton.

Meanwhile Duncan in his worst games that playoffs was dropping 10/23/10 and 15/20/10 triple doubles on off shooting nights or maybe a quick 18/11 as his worst game of the week. When he was on he was literally making a dynasty cry:

Duncan did as much for that team as anyone ever did for a team that was even.....good. Much less a champion.

That team was Tim Duncan and people with the same name as a lot of guys who had good careers.

They were not playing like the names on the roster will be remembered.

Considering they still would have lost because Ginobili is awful, I don't think it mattered much. Not to mention Duncan was carrying that team in the twilight of his career. Kawhi was really the only other great person.

Banned

i agree with OP

if kobe or lebron did that. theyed never hear the end of it

duncans misfortunes are always swept under the rug

like the 5 times he lost with the #1 seed.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

This is the kind of article coming out about the Spurs in 2003...

Tony getting criticized by the vets, Jackson being insane, Pop being questioned, and open wondering if they should sub in an entire retirement community to get the offense going:

PARKER SWAMPED IN LOSS SPURS GUARD BENCHED
    BY Frank Isola /
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS /
    Thursday, June 12, 2003, 12:00 AM

The boyish charm of Tony Parker, the fun-loving French point guard who up until last night had upstaged Jason Kidd in the NBA Finals, was replaced by a scowl. Bad aim usually leads to a bad mood, and last night, Parker's disposition was as nasty as his line in the box score: 1-for-12, five points, two turnovers. Afterward, David Robinson criticized his 21-year-old teammate, saying Parker took "ill-advised shots," and accused him of being passive. "Tony has to do a better job of staying involved in the game and picking and choosing moments, and I don't think Tony did a very good job of that tonight," Robinson said following the Nets' 77-76 Game 4 victory. "He's so talented, he's got to understand he plays a big role for us so he has to come in there and make things happen.

" Parker, who was averaging 21 points through the first three games, missed his last 10 shots and better served the Spurs on the bench. Backup Speedy Claxton, a Hofstra product, scored 10 points in 17 minutes and rallied San Antonio from 15 points down in the third quarter to a 63-58 lead. "There are no excuses," Parker said. "I just have to knock them down. That's basketball.

" Parker inherited a three-point lead, but in the final eight minutes, he missed two shots, failed to record an assist and the Spurs eventually lost the lead. All the blame, however, does not fall on Parker's shoulders. Tim Duncan's supporting cast betrayed him last night, particularly the Spurs' three starting guards, Parker, Bruce Bowen and Stephen Jackson. Bowen was 2-for-9 last night, Jackson was 1-for-9 and for the series the two are shooting 5-for-19 and 14-for-41, respectively. Backup shooting guard Manu Ginobili was 3-for-10 and missed what would have been the game-tying three in the last three seconds. "Did we want to make them, yeah," Bowen said. "But that's life.

" Bowen and Jackson have something else in common besides a poor shooting touch. Both players react incredulously every time Popovich removes them from the game. Jackson reentered the game with 8:04 remaining and the Spurs leading by three. He promptly committed a turnover and gave up five points to Richard Jefferson and fouled Jason Kidd as Kidd converted a finger roll. In 97 seconds with Jackson on the floor, the Spurs went from up three to down four. Popovich immediately went back to Ginobili as Jackson stormed off the court, tearing off the tape around his wrist. "That's something I can't explain," Jackson said. "It's very disappointing. That's why I have no answers.

" Popovich could have turned to Steve Kerr, who rescued the Spurs in Game 6 of the conference finals. The dilemma Popovich faces with Kerr on the floor is whom the veteran should guard. But with the Nets collapsing around Duncan, Kerr could have spread the floor. Popovich could have inserted Kerr with 1:12 remaining and the Spurs down 73-72. If the Spurs score on that possession there is a strong chance New Jersey would have called timeout, allowing Popovich to substitute Kerr for a defensive player. As it turned out, Ginobili misfired on a three, and when the Spurs finally regained possession, they were down 77-74 with 9.

1 seconds left. Kerr finally made it to the floor but failed to attempt a shot. When asked about his decision not to give Kerr more time, Popovich fired back: "I've got to answer that, right? Because I decided to do something else.
    "

Those guys were...ok players. Some of them good with flashes of who they would become. Parker might have 20...he might miss every shot in the second half and piss off the vets.

That team had Duncan to rely on on both ends and Bowen and Drob to rely on on defense. Nothing else could be counted on on either end.

Lets just be real...by good team standards? It was a star and some guys.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

Remember what Jordan did when he was 37? I mean dude was getting some golf on! I'm pretty sure he had some pretty nice puts, have any footage?