Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Most athletic bigs ever?

In terms of sheer explosion and vertical, I would say Howard. I marvel at this guy and what he can do.

In terms of most well rounded (combination of explosion, quickness, coordination, fluidity, vertical) I would say Robinson.

In terms of most agile, fluidity of movement and light feet, I would say Hakeem. He was the most rubber bandy big ever, just so fluid and could contort his body in ways that no big could ever do.

Banned

Default Re: Most athletic bigs ever?

Lebron

Probably need to include Russell and Wilt up there.

Russell suppossedly took missed a layup and went out of bounds, then chased down a guy at halfcourt to block his shot to save a playoff game.

Tommy Heinsohn said it was the most amazing play he's ever seen. Russell drives and misses his shot and goes out of bounds. The other team rebounds and outlets to a guy already at half court with no one close to him. Russell recovers and and races from a few feet out of bounds to the other basket to block the shot.

National High School Star

Athletic = Speed + Vert + Agility + Strength + Power (Explosiveness)

1. Shaq
    2. Wilt
    3. Robinson
    4. Dwight
    5. Who knows? DeAndre? Javale?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Probably need to include Russell and Wilt up there.

Russell suppossedly took missed a layup and went out of bounds, then chased down a guy at halfcourt to block his shot to save a playoff game.

Tommy Heinsohn said it was the most amazing play he's ever seen. Russell drives and misses his shot and goes out of bounds. The other team rebounds and outlets to a guy already at half court with no one close to him. Russell recovers and and races from a few feet out of bounds to the other basket to block the shot.
    No doubt. I'm just not going to include players I never saw live. It's not fair to them.

But check out this video of Russell jumping over a guy. Few bigs could ever be that fast and coordinated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2AlFrOj5Mc

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Athletic = Speed + Vert + Agility + Strength + Power (Explosiveness)

1. Shaq
    2. Wilt
    3. Robinson
    4. Dwight
    5. Who knows? DeAndre? Javale?
    Disagree. It also includes reflexes, coordination, fluidity of movement (sort of like agility), quickness and light feet. It's pretty much possessing traits you can't teach.

Your definition is limited to what may be described as track & field type traits. But basketball isn't played in a straight line. You are constantly changing directions, planting and exploding, stop and go, etc. And the traits I mentioned play a big part in that.

I did forget Shaq. For a guy his size, the game has never seen a guy that athletic. Truly freakish.

Banned

Shaq.

To be 7'1" upwards of 350 lbs and be that strong, explosive, agile/quick... We'll probably never see another player like that again. Maybe 40-50 years from now another one will come along.

Banned

Lebron

To be 6-8 upwards of 270 pounds and be that strong, explosive, agile/quick.... We'll probably never see another player like that again. Maybe 40-50 years from now another one will come along.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Disagree. It also includes reflexes, coordination, fluidity of movement (sort of like agility), quickness and light feet. It's pretty much possessing traits you can't teach.

Your definition is limited to what may be described as track & field type traits. But basketball isn't played in a straight line. You are constantly changing directions, planting and exploding, stop and go, etc. And the traits I mentioned play a big part in that.
    You disagree but didn't name any different players? All those players (except Wilt) have that ability to change directions, plant, explode, stop and go (Shaq being the best at it and Dwight being the worst). They all had amazing body control. It is why they are "more" athletic than someone like a Javale or DeAndre.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    Lebron

To be 6-8 upwards of 270 pounds and be that strong, explosive, agile/quick.... We'll probably never see another player like that again. Maybe 40-50 years from now another one will come along.
    Andre Iguodala III licking his chops.

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    You disagree but didn't name any different players? All those players (except Wilt) have that ability to change directions, plant, explode, stop and go (Shaq being the best at it and Dwight being the worst). They all had amazing body control. It is why they are "more" athletic than someone like a Javale or DeAndre.
    I disagree in that all of these bigs have different physical traits that define their athleticism. They aren't all the same. "Athleticism" can mean a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Shaq.

To be 7'1" upwards of 350 lbs and be that strong, explosive, agile/quick... We'll probably never see another player like that again. Maybe 40-50 years from now another one will come along.
    Maybe ever. He might've truly been one of the kind.

Shaq, Shawn Kemp.

Howard?

Banned

Dude who played for Cleveland in the 80's/90's