Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Interview waiting process, is the worst.

Despite me already having a decent job at a bank, I had an interview with KPMG on September 24th. The recruiter said it will take 1-2 weeks to get back to the candidates. I did great on the interview, both with the HR people and with the partner. In fact, one of my close friends who works at KPMG as a Senior said the partner contacted her the next day to talk about me. She said she put in a good word and that she personally thinks I have the job. This was LAST Friday. I sent two thank you letters to the partner and the recruiter. Both got back to me, in fact, the partner got back to me within 20 minutes.

They had interviews on Monday & Tuesday as well. So it's only been 3 days since they finalized all the interviews. I was so excited on Friday but have not heard nothing as of yet. I know KPMG has a quick turn around with the interviews, so I've been a nervous wreck all week.

I do have a job, but I really want to work with KPMG. The career path is brighter and the benefit package is incredible.

My friend also said they are understaffed so she thinks they're looking to fit a few open roles, which could explain the delay. I've been checking my phone/email every 30 minutes since Monday. The anxiety doesn't allow me to focus on anything other then waiting for a response.

Anyone had a similar experience with the Big Four, or any other similar experience waiting to hear about the job?

Tolerant Liberals

Default Re: Interview waiting process, is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by West-Side
    Despite me already having a decent job at a bank, I had an interview with KPMG on September 24th. The recruiter said it will take 1-2 weeks to get back to the candidates. I did great on the interview, both with the HR people and with the partner. In fact, one of my close friends who works at KPMG as a Senior said the partner contacted her the next day to talk about me. She said she put in a good word and that she personally thinks I have the job. This was LAST Friday. I sent two thank you letters to the partner and the recruiter. Both got back to me, in fact, the partner got back to me within 20 minutes.

They had interviews on Monday & Tuesday as well. So it's only been 3 days since they finalized all the interviews. I was so excited on Friday but have not heard nothing as of yet. I know KPMG has a quick turn around with the interviews, so I've been a nervous wreck all week.

I do have a job, but I really want to work with KPMG. The career path is brighter and the benefit package is incredible.

My friend also said they are understaffed so she thinks they're looking to fit a few open roles, which could explain the delay. I've been checking my phone/email every 30 minutes since Monday. The anxiety doesn't allow me to focus on anything other then waiting for a response.

Anyone had a similar experience with the Big Four, or any other similar experience waiting to hear about the job?

Follow up with them, specifically, the hiring manager or the person sending you the offer email if you can. Some of these HR people and hiring managers are lazy or careless as fuq. Keep nagging them until they hire you. I referred my friend to my company, there was no interview response from the COO after one week. I sent her an email, and 5 minutes later my friend got an interview. No news for one week after reference check. I sent the COO another email and my friend got the offer 5 minutes later.

Whats the point of being worried? Sounds like you probably making it, if you dont you still have job.

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    Follow up with them, specifically, the hiring manager or the person sending you the offer email if you can. Some of these HR people and hiring managers are lazy or careless as fuq. Keep nagging them until they hire you. I referred my friend to my company, there was no interview response from the COO after one week. I sent her an email, and 5 minutes later my friend got an interview. No news for one week after reference check. I sent the COO another email and my friend got the offer 5 minutes later.
    Really? I am a little scared because I don't want to seem desperate or a "nag". The fact that the recruiter said after the interview "we will get back to candidates within a week...or two" make me worry that if I do send an email, they will interpret it as me not being able to follow instructions.

I wish my friend never told me that the partner contacted her, I would have been far less nervous and just waited. I think that's why I'm anxious at the moment. Plus it's a life changing job, a lot of pressure.

You rich mfr buy me some Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    Whats the point of being worried? Sounds like you probably making it, if you dont you still have job.
    True, that's what everyone told me.
    I'd rather work for KPMG than the bank because advancement is much faster, benefits are better and they have 4 service sectors (audit, tax, enterprise & advisory); which compliments my background perfectly.

I have a degree in accounting and a masters in finance.

Really? I am a little scared because I don't want to seem desperate or a "nag". The fact that the recruiter said after the interview "we will get back to candidates within a week...or two" make me worry that if I do send an email, they will interpret it as me not being able to follow instructions.

I wish my friend never told me that the partner contacted her, I would have been far less nervous and just waited. I think that's why I'm anxious at the moment. Plus it's a life changing job, a lot of pressure.
    I would just email your HR contact on Monday or Tuesday since it has been about two weeks at that point. These types of things tend to slip people's minds at the tail end of a week so you're better off giving them a reminder at the beginning of next week.

The process does suck tho. I had an opportunity to interview with the NY Fed which was exciting and super nerve wracking. Didn't end up getting the job but the waiting game is very stressful when it's an opportunity you are very excited about.

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

i worked for deloitte for several years and it took me to wonderful places around the world and i made more money than i could have imagined, which is how i ended up barcelona but beware of joining understaffed departments. the workload and hours can get overwhelming at times. recently i resigned and took up a a similar role for a big corporation based in europe with much more personal flexibility.

i'm not on the accounting side of things though so it may be different there. they didn't have many competent people capable in the specific kind of work i do so i often ended having to do the work of 2-3 people...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
    i worked for deloitte for several years and it took me to wonderful places around the world and i made more money than i could have imagined, which is how i ended up barcelona but beware of joining understaffed departments. the workload and hours can get overwhelming at times. recently i resigned and took up a a similar role for a big corporation based in europe with much more personal flexibility.

i'm not on the accounting side of things though so it may be different there.
    After the interview, how long did it take them to get back to you with a job offer? Also, did you do co-op? And how did they contact you with the job offer (email, call or letter)?

Tolerant Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins

i'm not on the accounting side of things though so it may be different there. they didn't have many competent people capable in the specific kind of work i do so i often ended having to do the work of 2-3 people...
    This is true. I have a good friend that works at KPMG, now in his second or third year. They will overwork you like crazy at the beginning and the pay will be shit because they know you want to put KPMG on your resume. It will pay off in the long term but you will have to earn it.

This is true. I have a good friend that works at KPMG, now in his second or third year. They will overwork you like crazy at the beginning and the pay will be shit because they know you want to put KPMG on your resume. It will pay off in the long term but you will have to earn it.
    I know that, and I am willing to put in the work.
    It will also be difficult because I'd be concurrently doing my CPA classes.

But the effort is going to be worth it in 5-6 years after.

Yeah, my buddy just left KPMG. He was worked to death but it gave him great experience and a fantastic network. I think most people have an exit strategy going in unless they have goals of making partner.

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

After the interview, how long did it take them to get back to you with a job offer? Also, did you do co-op? And how did they contact you with the job offer (email, call or letter)?
    total process took around 2 weeks from what i remember. there were 3 rounds of interviews and i heard back 5 days after the final interview although the final interviewer indicated that he was going to hire me

You already sent two thank you letters. Further contact would be ill-advised. You went through the process, did a good job, and then followed up with a respectful thank you letter. Nagging into hiring is not a successful approach.

They know you want the job and will contact you after they've made their decision. Patience.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    You already sent two thank you letters. Further contact would be ill-advised. You went through the process, did a good job, and then followed up with a respectful thank you letter. Nagging into hiring is not a successful approach.

They know you want the job and will contact you after they've made their decision. Patience.
    Thank you man, really appreciate everyone's advice.
    I will patiently wait for their decision.