Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Sonny Liston shoots at Muhammad Ali (Ali craps his pants)

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: Sonny Liston shoots at Muhammad Ali (Ali craps his pants)

Liston is so underrated...he's only remembered for that legendary picture of Ali standing over him like a conquerer.

Liston's jab is prolly GOAT...he invented the fearsome stare (which Tyson and Foreman later used), his power was insane...Foreman who sparred with him said Liston hit harder than anyone he ever fought.

As for scaring Ali....Liston's connection with the Mafia was well known...most fighters were scared of him both inside and outside the ring.

gangster

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by BlakFrankWhite
    Liston is so underrated...he's only remembered for that legendary picture of Ali standing over him like a conquerer.

Liston's jab is prolly GOAT...he invented the fearsome stare (which Tyson and Foreman later used), his power was insane...Foreman who sparred with him said Liston hit harder than anyone he ever fought.

As for scaring Ali....Liston's connection with the Mafia was well known...most fighters were scared of him both inside and outside the ring.
    I think Holmes is more underrated and he has a better jab IMO. But Liston's jab is probably the hardest jab ever. And that baleful stare

One thing that made Liston so underrated was his best years was before he got that title shot. Liston was uncrowned champ for awhile as Cus kept Patterson away from Liston as long as he could because he knew how strong savage Liston was. And a lot of people does not like what he represent, his long rap sheet and his connection with the underground so they felt he does not deserved the belt.

I love Ali but that shit was hilarious also that old school taunting

Liston had no bodyguards

NBA rookie of the year

That wasn't real. That was from a movie scene. "The Greatest", where Ali played himself throughout most of the film. That's not even the real Sonny Liston either. That is actor Roger E. Mosley from "Magnum P.I.". Liston was dead years before this movie was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One
    That wasn't real. That was from a movie scene. "The Greatest", where Ali played himself throughout most of the film. That's not even the real Sonny Liston either. That is actor Roger E. Mosley from "Magnum P.I.". Liston was dead years before this movie was made.
    Dayum, Ali king of entertainment too

Has anyone watched the HBO documentary on the Ali- Frazier III fight??

Apparently, Ali went to Frazier's hotel in the centre of Manilla....took out a gun from his car and shouted "I'm gonna kill you Joe!"

Home of the 16

"Run like a motor mouth ... Flee like a bee." Lmfao������

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    I think Holmes is more underrated and he has a better jab IMO. But Liston's jab is probably the hardest jab ever. And that baleful stare

One thing that made Liston so underrated was his best years was before he got that title shot. Liston was uncrowned champ for awhile as Cus kept Patterson away from Liston as long as he could because he knew how strong savage Liston was. And a lot of people does not like what he represent, his long rap sheet and his connection with the underground so they felt he does not deserved the belt.

The NAACP begged Patterson not to give Liston a title shot. They as well as everyone else knew Sonny would win easily. This was during prime years of the Civil Rights Movement, also back in those days, the Heavyweight Champion was a big time figure, almost presidential. Black leaders felt Liston would have been a bad representation of Blacks and would have hurt the movement.

Patterson ignored there wishes stating "I'm the champion and he deserves a shot like anyone else" and fought Liston.

The day after the fight there was absolutely no press or fans waiting outside after he got off his flight. Sad.

A great trainer is so important. After Floyd Patterson ditched Cus D'Amato, he lost to Sonny Liston twice both via KO in the first round. After that Liston went on to fight Ali in his next two fights and promptly lost both times badly. I'm not sure why if Ali could dance around Liston easily, Patterson couldn't. Must be the trainer change.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    A great trainer is so important. After Floyd Patterson ditched Cus D'Amato, he lost to Sonny Liston twice both via KO in the first round. After that Liston went on to fight Ali in his next two fights and promptly lost both times badly. I'm not sure why if Ali could dance around Liston easily, Patterson couldn't. Must be the trainer change.
    Training is one thing, but physical gifts are another. Patterson was nowhere near the physical specimen Cassius Clay was. Patterson was slow, no reach, couldn't take a punch, and no footwork..

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Nah it's just the chin. You can't trained his chin. Ali had a strong chin while Floyd Patterson had one of the weakest chin in boxing. This is the reason why Cus kept him away from the likes of Liston and Cleveland Williams. But Liston can be outbox if your chin holds up. He was slow, usually plant both of his feet to throw his punches but he has good timing and punch like a mule even with his jab.

I think we could have seen a different Mike Tyson though if Cus live long enough.