Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Real Madrid wants to join the NBA, will meet with Adam Silver

http://www.abc.es/realmadrid/noticia...509041037.html

First European NBA team? Maybe we'll have three divisions now - East, West, and International/European.

NY to Madrid is only a 7-hour flight - https://www.google.com/maps/dir/New+...2!2d40.4167754

Banned

Default Re: Real Madrid wants to join the NBA, will meet with Adam Silver

The travel will be hell. If the NBA does this then they'll have to reduce the schedule for players, which in term would lead to loss revenue to owners.

No way it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel
    The travel will be hell. If the NBA does this then they'll have to reduce the schedule for players, which in term would lead to loss revenue to owners.

No way it happens.
    Each of the local teams will only have to play in Real Madrid once or twice a season. The NBA could easy construct a schedule that follows a 5-5-5-5 etc. format. Meaning RM plays 5 games on the road and 5 at home. When they have a 5 game road trip they simply stay at hotels in American and use the facilities of the home team.

Real Madrid obviously won't have the luxury of having 2 home games - 1 road game - 3 home games - 2 road games type stretches because of travelling distance.

A flight from LA to Toronto is about 4 hours and 45 minutes. [2515 miles]
    A flight from Toronto to Madrid is roughly 10 hours [6032 miles]
    A flight from LA to Madrid is roughly 14 hours

I obviously don't think they'd make the Clippers play a home at 7pm and expect them to play at Madrid the next day.

Banned

This has been the nbas plan for a long time. I imagine they will have a designated arena in the usa too as a defacto home too.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    This has been the nbas plan for a long time. I imagine they will have a designated arena in the usa too as a defacto home too.
    What's the point in that? You think season ticket holders in Spain are gonna be cool with a defacto arena?

The only way this works is if 4-6 teams in Europe join, otherwise Real Madrid is at a serious disadvantage and no one will want to play there.

Imagine RM winning the title first year entering the NBA.
    Now picture Euroleague logging on to ISH right after.

Euroleague boutta own this thread

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    the zeus of ish trolls will come

They can be competitive in DLeague IMO

Quote Originally Posted by West-Side

They would obviously have to replace probably 90% of the roster immediately if they didn't want to be the worst team in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater

Euroleague gonna be like:

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I dont think people playing there will be thjat huge an issue. Personally...id go to Spain over a number of NBA cities. And guys are getting more and more mindful of their brand. A kobe, Bron, or Melo type being in Spain wouldnt shock me. You could build a solid NBA roster of internationals, guys on their rookie deals(who will then take the first max offer...like every single one other than Greg Monroe has), and vets who dont care.

Not like Real Madrid lacks for money. The Cowboys, Lakers, and Knicks combined dont match their yearly revenue(800 million in 2014). They have like 4-5 former NBA players right now...their arena isnt much smaller than the Pelicans though it may lack some of the features the NBA demands.

If anyone could pull it off its them.

A european division wouldnt be bad. Its gonna happen one day no matter what anyone thinks.

Real Madrid and Barcelona would be a good start. Have a rivalry built in....international fanbases to try to bring on board with the rest of the league. Maybe draw in some of the best europe has to offer....who dont generally come over.

Be interesting if nothing else.

Far as travel?

It will be absolute zero in hell before I give a shit that someone making 24 million a year to do something id do for free has to take a long flight twice a year. Give em a day off before and after. They will endure. Far as the players on the team...thats obvious. Long road trips and long times at home.

The world has figured out much more problematic issues than that.

And again...its happening eventually anyway. Anyone thinking travel just keeps it at bay forever just isnt seeing the big picture.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I dont think people playing there will be thjat huge an issue. Personally...id go to Spain over a number of NBA cities. And guys are getting more and more mindful of their brand. A kobe, Bron, or Melo type being in Spain wouldnt shock me. You could build a solid NBA roster of internationals, guys on their rookie deals(who will then take the first max offer...like every single one other than Greg Monroe has), and vets who dont care.

Not like Real Madrid lacks for money. The Cowboys, Lakers, and Knicks combined dont match their yearly revenue(800 million in 2014). They have like 4-5 former NBA players right now...their arena isnt much smaller than the Pelicans though it may lack some of the features the NBA demands.

If anyone could pull it off its them.

A european division wouldnt be bad. Its gonna happen one day no matter what anyone thinks.

Real Madrid and Barcelona would be a good start. Have a rivalry built in....international fanbases to try to bring on board with the rest of the league. Maybe draw in some of the best europe has to offer....who dont generally come over.

Be interesting if nothing else.

Far as travel?

It will be absolute zero in hell before I give a shit that someone making 24 million a year to do something id do for free has to take a long flight twice a year. Give em a day off before and after. They will endure. Far as the players on the team...thats obvious. Long road trips and long times at home.

The world has figured out much more problematic issues than that.

And again...its happening eventually anyway. Anyone thinking travel just keeps it at bay forever just isnt seeing the big picture.

A couple things: when you talk about big stars being willing to go over there, I feel that it's much more conceivable if youre talking about 1 or 2 year commitments. But most contracts are four or five years, and I think many American players will be wary of making such a commitment to spend that kind of time on unfamiliar soil.

Not to mention, what about drafting? Signing players as free agents is one thing, but when it comes to drafting you will have one or two players every year who are selected by a foreign country's team and told they either have to uproot themselves to another continent or sit out a year. Again, I understand the challenge of moving to a place with another culture, and learning a new language, and seeing a different part of the world, etc is something many players would embrace. But I do think for many it would be a source of anxiety and trepidation, and potentially unhappiness even if they do give it a shot. To pick one kid out of every draft class and tell him thats his only choice seems problematic to me.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 09-10-2015 at 04:56 PM.

I'm fine with it as long as no NBA teams have to travel to Europe, and of course Real Madrid has to abide by NBA transaction and salary cap rules.

Quote Originally Posted by West-Side