Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Better Athlete: Lebron vs MJ

Who is superior?

Banned

Default Re: Better Athlete: Lebron vs MJ

Neither is superior. two different types of athletes with different strong points

Banned

Honestly though I think prime Lebron is the most athletic specimen in NBA history. 265-270, the fastest player in the league, and regularly getting his head even shoulders to rim level. The downside of his mass is he isn't as quick accelerating, but once he gets going, it's game over.

Banned

You know, I used to think MJ was more athletic than LBJ, he still is in quite a few areas, quickness, stamina(best in history), but overall, man LBJ is just too much of a physical force...

The thing is, I don't even think LeBron has lived up to his athletic potential, guys like MJ, Kobe, Magic, etc. maxed theirs out. Imagine LeBron trying to dunk on everyone all the time like a young MJ, and being more aggressive with his body from the very beginning of his career, it would be insane.

That being said, I think a young Shaq is even more of a specimen than LeBron.

1) Shaq
    2) Wilt
    3a) LeBron
    3b) Jordan

Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow28cv1fvhE

3:22

Lethal first step, but not quite MJ quick. This is because Lebron is so heavy compared to Mike. There's a 50 pound difference between them at their athletic peaks.

inb4 3ball wall of text

Banned

Lebron is essentially the Shaq of perimeter players in both impact and athleticism

He's an unstoppable force in some aspects, but he has glaring weaknesses just like Shaq. Put them in the right situation, and they flourish.

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

inb4 3ball thesis paper

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    Honestly though I think prime Lebron is the most athletic specimen in NBA history.
    Shaq.

You know, I used to think MJ was more athletic than LBJ, he still is in quite a few areas, quickness, stamina(best in history), but overall, man LBJ is just too much of a physical force...
    Havlicek was literally a freak when it came to stamina/endurance. He had abnormal lung capacity and heart rate.

Facts Are Misleading

Better athlete is LeBron. He's freakish at his height/weight.

Better basketball athlete is MJ though. The athletic traits that matter most in basketball like quickness, foot speed, hand size (yes this is a physical trait) lateral agility, hang time, body control.....MJ had that all over LeBron.

I think LeBron is faster in a straight line and stronger, although playing strength is probably not that big of a gap. Jordan played much stronger than his build and LeBron doesn't play as strong as his build.

Banned

It's close. Hard to compare a perimeter player to a center athletically

I dunno they both have their advantages, when lebron was younger his stamina was freakish for a few years, just as young mj was too. I thinks Lebron's athleticism in his body is less likely to ever be duplicated though.

Banned

Lebron was built to be a tight end.

Imagine him when he gets going

LeBron James is a more athletic human. He would probably, in most sports, have the natural advantage over Jordan.

Michael Jordan was a more athletic basketball player. His athletic gifts were more well-suited to the game they both dedicated their lives to.

This gave MJ the natural advantage over LBJ, which worked together with his far superior competitive mind to make him a much better basketball player than LeBron will ever be.