Default Re: Proof that Wilt's size/wingspan is overrated

Quote Originally Posted by AirFederer
    Could Whiteside do this?!?

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

wilt is the most overrated player I have ever seen. Wow he scored 100 points big ****ing deal. Its the equivalent to a grown man playing against 5 toddlers. All you have to do is stand under the rim and put the fukking ball in. Its not fukking hard, it doesn't require any real skill other than being outrageously tall, which of course he was, but it doesn't make u a baller.

Quote Originally Posted by theaussieguy
    wilt is the most overrated player I have ever seen. Wow he scored 100 points big ****ing deal. Its the equivalent to a grown man playing against 5 toddlers. All you have to do is stand under the rim and put the fukking ball in. Its not fukking hard, it doesn't require any real skill other than being outrageously tall, which of course he was, but it doesn't make u a baller.
    Same is true for Shaq tho. Notice how his numbers highly fluctuate based on the size of the C guarding him. That's the antithesis of unguardable.

That explains why the 7-3 Swede Halbrook dominated his NBA peers back then, as well. Same thing with true seven-footers like Henry Finkel, Reggie Harding, Walter Dukes, and Mel Counts.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    [COLOR="Red"]

Yeah...but that was a 12 foot basket...[/COLOR]

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...-the-slam-dunk

BTW, Wilt was 6-11 when he entered Overbrook High, and 7-1+ when he graduated from high school. There is no telling when that photo was taken.
    i agree with laz here... i always thought that those wilt highlights at 17 yrs old were on high rims.

look at his highlights in this video at kutshers - both the outdoor and indoor highlights - that rim is NOT 10 feet, or anywhere near.. At least 11 or 12 feet, which makes what Wilt is doing, like, amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9GPibuasw4&t=0m32s

One inch average height difference between now and then.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    i agree with laz here... i always thought that those wilt highlights at 17 yrs old were on high rims.

look at his highlights in this video at kutshers - both the outdoor and indoor highlights - that rim is NOT 10 feet, or anywhere near.. At least 11 or 12 feet, which makes what Wilt is doing, like, amazing

No they are likely just ten foot rims. Pause at 33 seconds, for instance. He's just barely off the ground with a tiny jump, his arm is at about an 75 degree angle, yet his hand is already at the rim. I'm sure he was really just fooling around here, jumping probably only 12-18 inches on most of these dunks. I don't know what his vertical was in these young years, but it was certainly more than that.

Anyone who thinks a 270-300 pound, 7'1"+ center with at least a 9'6" inch wingspan is an "overrated" size needs to check his history books. There are only a few centers to rival or exceed Chamberlain's overall size. He was an absolute monster, with excellent skill and instincts on top of all of that. You don't have to believe Chamberlain was the absolute GOAT to still acknowledge his incredible contribution and impact on the game. No one can legitimately deny he's an all time great.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

OMG, you are so right. That rim is higher than 10 feet, that's for sure. Probably 11 feet based the distance between Wilt's head and the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    OMG, you are so right. That rim is higher than 10 feet, that's for sure. Probably 11 feet based the distance between Wilt's head and the rim.
    I never noticed that before. It does look a lot higher than 10 feet.

Local High School Star

^^ Don't think so, they look about as high as the ones they are playing on later in the video, and Wilt's head in comparison to those rime and his dunks during the game are just about the same as the warm up, outside dunks we are discussing. Why would they be playing on anything other than 10 foot rims. If anything the outdoor rims might be only slightly higher than 10, but nowhere near 11.

Decent playground baller Coach Eddie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    No. We don't know this. What we do KNOW is that Wilt would basically be a poor man's Whiteside today.

Decent playground baller Coach Eddie's Avatar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    I never noticed that before. It does look a lot higher than 10 feet.
    A lot higher?

Wilt is 7 foot. The length from the top of his head to the rim is no more than 3 1/2 feet. Probably just 3 which would make it 10 foot.

STOP WITH THE MYTHS.

Banned

Wilt in NBA 2K15