Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Underrated and Overrated NBA Players

Some Rafa fans say that Nadal is the GOAT because of his head-to-head vs Fed - that Fed can't be GOAT because of the matchup record, but if you look at Fed's body of work - nobody compares to it. Same with Gretzsky. I would add that it's the same with MJ. Look, nobody's got a perfect record/career - everyone's got holes. Looking at the usual suspects, is there anyone whose career stacks up against MJ's? When you look at individual stats, team accomplishments, peak, records, etc. - I don't see anyone.

I also feel that beyond the accomplishments, MJ had that mental edge that no one (I've seen since 1977) had. Not Federer, Borg, Sampras, Gretzky, Magic, Bird, Lebron. The closest I've seen is probably Usain Bolt (no knock against my fellow Jamaican) but what a cocky character - not that he doesn't back it up.

Anyway, my ORIGINAL point to the poster I quoted was that it's not just the Jordan fan base (of which I am definitely not one of) that thinks MJ is so great.
    Last edited by rmt; 09-01-2015 at 06:00 PM.

Decent playground baller KnittingRyu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    Underrated:
    Karl Malone
    Allen Iverson
    Chris Webber
    Chris Paul
    DeMarcus Cousins
    David Robinson
    Moses Malone

Overrated:
    Charles Barkley
    Kevin Garnett
    Tim Duncan
    Blake Griffin
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Malone - Rated fine
    AI -Rated fine
    Webber - Rated fine (talented but an underachiever)
    CP3 - Seems rated fine by most, but there is a fraction that underrates him for not getting deep in the playoffs and unfairly view him as a chucker
    Cousins -Slightly underrated
    David Robinson - Rated fine. Most view him below Shaq/Duncan and above Ewing, which is where he belongs.
    Moses - Potentially the most underrated star of all time

Charles Barkley - Rated fine
    Kevin Garnett - Rated fine by most. Underrated by a small group, and overrated by a small group
    Tim Duncan - Rated fine
    Blake Griffin - Rated fine by about 50% of people, overrated a lot by the other 50%
    Hakeem Olajuwon - Rated fine

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    Some Rafa fans say that Nadal is the GOAT because of his head-to-head vs Fed - that Fed can't be GOAT because of the matchup record, but if you look at Fed's body of work - nobody compares to it. Same with Gretzsky. I would add that it's the same with MJ. Look, nobody's got a perfect record/career - everyone's got holes. Looking at the usual suspects, is there anyone whose career stacks up against MJ's? When you look at individual stats, team accomplishments, peak, records, etc. - I don't see anyone.

I also feel that beyond the accomplishments, MJ had that mental edge that no one (I've seen since 1977) had. Not Federer, Borg, Sampras, Gretzky, Magic, Bird, Lebron. The closest I've seen is probably Usain Bolt (no knock against my fellow Jamaican) but what a cocky character - not that he doesn't back it up.
    That was actually besides the point, but you inadvertently helped illustrate my comments by agreeing with me.
    My Original Post:If I said Federer is the GOAT tennis player, or Gretzky is the GOAT Hockey player, or Pele is the GOAT soccer player I would be called delusional, although there are many cases to support those claims
    You summarized my point to the T. Thanks for making my statement much more clear

Anyway, my ORIGINAL point to the poster I quoted was that it's not just the Jordan fan base (of which I am definitely not one of) that thinks MJ is so great.
    Nice try at a deflection, but it's the same laundry different pile. I see your schtick and it's to try and emphasize the idea by claiming to be a fan of the opposite. Like those posters who say " Brady is the greatest, and I'm a Manning fan!"
    You support that idea. It doesn't matter if you dislike the person or not.
    Last edited by hateraid; 09-01-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Local High School Star Megabox!'s Avatar

You can add MJ to the list of overrated players. Yes he's the GOAT but reading most of the posts here or on any type of social media you would believe the man never had a bad game in his life.

Local High School Star

Overrated: Duncan, Bird

Underrated: Cousins, Barkley

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Anthony johnson

Banned

Eddy curry is underrated

Decent playground baller Coach Eddie's Avatar

Overrated:
    Cousins

Underrated:
    Marc Gasol

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    Underrated:
    Karl Malone
    Allen Iverson
    Chris Webber
    Chris Paul
    DeMarcus Cousins
    David Robinson
    Moses Malone

Overrated:
    Charles Barkley
    Kevin Garnett
    Tim Duncan
    Blake Griffin
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Charles Barkley is UNDERRATED. Charles is one of the most skilled, most unique players ever. He is almost, just missing by a hair, in his peak on Jordan/Bird/Magic level and its mostly because of his lazy ass personality.

Tim Duncan is vastly underrated, the Bill Russel of our time. Hakeem is judged about right.

CWebb is overrated, soft and played too far from the basket to matter. Talented yes, but too soft, which brings me to KG who might possibly the most overrated player ever. The advanced stats do NOT support claims of his great defence.

I also think Chris Paul is wildly overrated, I'd pick Tim Hardaway, Mark Price, Stockton (obviously), KJ, many others above him. Dribbles way too much,

Underrated: Kobe
    Overrated: Lebron

Current players*

Overrated:

LaMarcus Aldridge
    Brook Lopez
    Marc Gasol
    Pau Gasol
    DeAndre Jordan
    Andrew Wiggins
    Russell Westbrook

Underrated:

Tyson Chandler
    Timofey Mozgov
    Derrick Favors
    Markief Morris
    Danny Green
    George Hill

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Charles Barkley Is The Most Underrated Player Of His Generation. Stastically Broken Down He Is a Top 10 Player of All Time. He is The Elgin Baylor of The Modern Era Of The NBA.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Iverson is disgustingly underrated by the stat nerds that roam the basketball internetz today

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat

Tim Duncan is vastly underrated, the Bill Russel of our time. Hakeem is judged about right.
    Bill Russell won like what 9 rings in a row (albeit in a joke of an era)

Tim Ducan has never won b2b, only made b2b finals once in his career and it wasn't a star

I also think Chris Paul is wildly overrated, Dribbles way too much
    spot fuccing on with this though

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Westbrook is a little overrated to me.

He's not efficient at all but still uses a crazy amount of possessions and plays with 0 control especially late in games. He's shot below league average in every season of his career while shooting more than his own teammate who is one of the greatest scorers of all time. For a "PG" that's Alpha.

He's also always at the top of the league in turnovers, ignores his teammates at times and isn't as great defensively as his reputation.

Saying all this, he's still a terrific player and definitely one of the best in the league because of the constant pressure he puts on defenses. He does alot of the shit Iverson got shitted on for but even AI didn't do it playing alongside someone like Durant. When AI played with Melo his shot attempts decreased and efficiency increased significantly.

Fixed that for you.