Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Underrated and Overrated NBA Players

The most underrated player of all-time I would say is Dr.J. Most people who have witnessed him play would rank him as high as top 5-10 players of all-time. The greatest player in his era including over Oscar or Kareem. The modern fan is subjective to stats and since Dr.J played the prime of his career in the ABA, which he dominated, It hurt him. The greatest player to play in the ABA, yet some would rank Pippen higher. The modern fan considers him in the 15-25 range. Most Historians consider him better than Bird.

Underrated poster

Gif soup.

Some underrated guys.

Sidney Moncrief - At his peak (1982 - 1986, 5 years), he averaged 21.0 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 4.7 apg along with giving you all-time great defense from the SG position.

Kevin Johnson - At his peak (1989 - 1994, 6 years), he averaged 20.4 ppg and 10.5 apg. One of the most athletic small men ever and could get to the rack at will.

Alex English - At his peak (1982 - 1989, 8 years), he averaged 27.3 ppg on .512%. One of the most underrated scorers ever.
    Last edited by ClipperRevival; 09-01-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    The most underrated player of all-time I would say is Dr.J. Most people who have witnessed him play would rank him as high as top 5-10 players of all-time. The greatest player in his era including over Oscar or Kareem. The modern fan is subjective to stats and since Dr.J played the prime of his career in the ABA, which he dominated, It hurt him. The greatest player to play in the ABA, yet some would rank Pippen higher. The modern fan considers him in the 15-25 range. Most Historians consider him better than Bird.
    thats because at the time he played, he was a top 5-10 player.. same with guys from Russell's era who think he's GOAT.. its just normal that better players come along, but people from that era may not always adapt that way.

I think Duncan is underrated. Almost a legit 7 footer that provided great rim protection and could carry an offense on his back. Back to the basket game AND a face up game. He could do it all. Not to mention the longevity. He was willing to play 2nd fiddle without hesitation. That versatility allowed the Spurs to stay relevant for almost 15 years. You can argue that Duncan is close to a top 5 player if you look at his body of work.

I'm opening a can of worms here but Michael Jordan is the most overrated player of all-time. I'll admit he's arguably the greatest player of all-time, but he more than any other player in NBA history, and probably of any sport for that matter, has the biggest fanbase that actually believe Jordan is >>>>>>>>>than the next player in league history. Not just at shooting guard, or even guard, PLAYER.
    It's the only fanbase that would take something arguable and proclaim it definitive.
    He was the truth. We might NEVER see another one like him. He just might be the GOAT for eternity. It's going to take someone really, really special to dethrone him.

Good call, though I disagree with your last sentence. Dr. J was a transcendent player who often gets overlooked.

Westbrook is a little overrated to me.

He's not efficient at all but still uses a crazy amount of possessions and plays with 0 control especially late in games. He's shot below league average in every season of his career while shooting more than his own teammate who is one of the greatest scorers of all time. For a "PG" that's ridiculous.

He's also always at the top of the league in turnovers, ignores his teammates at times and isn't as great defensively as his reputation.

Saying all this, he's still a terrific player and definitely one of the best in the league because of the constant pressure he puts on defenses. He does alot of the shit Iverson got shitted on for but even AI didn't do it playing alongside someone like Durant. When AI played with Melo his shot attempts decreased and efficiency increased significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Westbrook is a little overrated to me.

He's not efficient at all but still uses a crazy amount of possessions and plays with 0 control especially late in games. He's shot below league average in every season of his career while shooting more than his own teammate who is one of the greatest scorers of all time. For a "PG" that's ridiculous.

He's also always at the top of the league in turnovers, ignores his teammates at times and isn't as great defensively as his reputation.

Saying all this, he's still a terrific player and definitely one of the best in the league because of the constant pressure he puts on defenses. He does alot of the shit Iverson got shitted on for but even AI didn't do it playing alongside someone like Durant. When AI played with Melo his shot attempts decreased and efficiency increased significantly.
    Agreed. There is a right way and wrong way to play the game as a superstar if you want to win. Westbrook played like a guy playing on a team .500 team last year. You don't win championships with such heavy usage.

He will have to find the right balance between scoring and getting teammates involved in order to give his team the best chance to win. He's no doubt a special player though.

I'm opening a can of worms here but Michael Jordan is the most overrated player of all-time. I'll admit he's arguably the greatest player of all-time, but he more than any other player in NBA history, and probably of any sport for that matter, has the biggest fanbase that actually believe Jordan is >>>>>>>>>than the next player in league history. Not just at shooting guard, or even guard, PLAYER.
    It's the only fanbase that would take something arguable and proclaim it definitive.
    Sorry, but it's not just his fan base but people like me, who disliked MJ intensely, who think he is indisputably GOAT. Can't say I think much of his personality (his HOF speech, especially when compared to DRob, Sloan, Stockton, showed what a narcissist he is), but IMO he is inarguably the GOAT. He (and everyone on the court) knew that he would find a way to win. I have not seen that will to win (and ability to back it up) in anybody in sport, much less basketball.

Dr J is underrated because of the ABA and the arrival of Magic/Bird and then Mike stole some of his thunder.

If he had been born a few years later and had come straight into the NBA instead of the ABA, he probably would be considered top 10 instead of 10-15.

No freaking way Pippen has a case over Erving.

Mocrief is also a bit underrated because injuries and his prime being early 80s.

Also, Moses Malone is underrated. Dude has 3 MVPs. Was a beast in the late 70s and early 80s.

It's funny how Dr J, Kareem and Moses were the best players in the early 80s, yet Magic and Bird get all the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    Sorry, but it's not just his fan base but people like me, who disliked MJ intensely, who think he is indisputably GOAT. Can't say I think much of his personality (his HOF speech, especially when compared to DRob, Sloan, Stockton, showed what a narcissist he is), but IMO he is inarguably the GOAT. He (and everyone on the court) knew that he would find a way to win. I have not seen that will to win (and ability to back it up) in anybody in sport, much less basketball.
    See these 2 words don't go together.
    opinion = subjective
    inarguably = definitive

This I why I find people who support this notion a bit delusional because something that is subjective cannot be definitive, yet will argue that it is. I support anyone who can accept that this is opinion. Jordan supporters however cannot submit to this idea, making them the most off based fan base in all of sports.
    People in hockey who support Gretzky are more subjective, in where I think there is a more clear cut case to GOAT for their sport.

Tolerant Liberals

See these 2 words don't go together.
    opinion = subjective
    inarguably = definitive

This I why I find people who support this notion a bit delusional because something that is subjective cannot be definitive, yet will argue that it is. I support anyone who can accept that this is opinion. Jordan supporters however cannot submit to this idea, making them the most off based fan base in all of sports.
    People in hockey who support Gretzky are more subjective, in where I think there is a more clear cut case to GOAT for their sport.

It makes sense to me. I think he means that in his opinion it is not arguable that he is the GOAT. It makes sense, but his opinion happens to be retarded because these kind of things are always arguable.
    Last edited by ISHGoat; 09-01-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    It makes sense to me. I think he means that in his opinion it is not arguable that he is the GOAT. It makes sense, but his opinion happens to be retarded because these kind of things are always arguable.
    An opinion can't be inarguable because it's an opinion. Facts are inarguable. Anyone claiming a single person is the greatest in their sport is not a definitive fact.
    If I said Federer is the GOAT tennis player, or Gretzky is the GOAT Hockey player, or Pele is the GOAT soccer player I would be called delusional, although there are many cases to support those claims. Opinions are never facts is where I'm going with this