Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Best Big 3 Ever? highlights

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever

You may or may not want to apologize for calling me a liar, because I already produced one clip of an isolation where 3 guys were behind the 3-point line.
    When I say that today's game is easier because of spacing and weakside spacing, it's not a valid counterargument to say the 80's were ALSO spaced, based on a few rare exceptions you find.

Rare exceptions don't reverse the widely-known truth that the 80's didn't have spacing - they prove it.. There simply isn't a counterargument to the claim that spacing makes the game easier - obviously, it's not a valid counterargument to say "well, the 80's were spaced too".

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever

Again, it was done SPARINGLY, at least based on my limited memory.
    Here's the problem you guys have when comparing how hard it was to score in different eras - you assume that new defensive schemes in today's game make it harder to score than previous eras, period... This view doesn't consider spacing at all, even though the presence of spacing impacts what defensive schemes are NEEDED to have an effective defense... For example, we know that today's weakside spacing necessitates strongside flooding... (this even sounds as correct and intuitive as it actually is).

(btw, some people argue that the strongside flood came FIRST, and spacing was a response to combat the new flooding technique.. This makes no sense - not only have high volumes of 3-pointers been around for many years, but the strongside flood is only necessary when there are actual defenders on the weakside to flood over, which doesn't occur without weakside spacing)

If new defensive schemes made it harder to score, league-wide ORtg would plummet - but it hasn't - it's remained between 105-108 since the inception of the 3-point line, and it was at 108 as recently as 2011.. I've said it for years - if you put NBA-caliber players on a basketball court, they will play a certain caliber of defense that remains pretty consistent regardless of continuing regulatory changes and playing adjustments on both sides of the ball - this is why we don't see material changes in league-wide ORtg over the years.

I rule the local playground Svendiggity's Avatar

Default Re: Best Big 3 Ever? highlights

get out of this thread you scrub