Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Default Re: Antawn Jamison will make the hall of fame

I hear this kind of thing a lot, and I get it. But I wonder, are we really so sure? The only reason anyone talks about Antawn Jamison today is to say exactly this. "He will get into the HOF, even though he shouldn't." If this thought is the only one anyone ever has about Jamison, are we so sure something won't change about the HOF? Ultimately, you have to get voted in by human beings. Who are the ones who are gonna do it after all this?

Even if it's been true that everyone with 20,000 points has gotten in so far, maybe that changes. Maybe there will be a reaction in the other direction. In fact I think this will move to the other extreme. People not getting in for putting in work every year for 15 years and ending up with 20,000 points, but you do get in for, say, cultural impact. Doing stuff for social justice, or being the first X to do Y.

For example, if some team signs a woman, and she scores a basket? She'll be inducted before the buzzer even sounds.

But even if it doesn't go to an extreme, I think we might find that stat-based admissions start to change. In Jamison's time, we followed players like him by looking at box scores in the newspaper. I remember pulling out the sports section that one year Jamison and Rashard Lewis had those 50 point games to start the season and wondering what the hell was going on, whether these two were going to change basketball as we knew it. Didn't catch the games of course.

I could find those games online now if I wanted to. And if Shard or Jamison were up for HOF I would watch them. And having followed both guys for a decade I know what they really were.

These days we follow players like Jamison (guys who do something noteworthy but aren't in the spotlight) by watching clips on Twitter or Reddit. And if a guy fails to stand out via the eye test, and if 'the experts' don't vouch for him, we don't care about his numbers as much. That mentality shift among fans might affect the HOF voter mentality by the time Jamison might have snuck in.

LOL if Jamison makes the Hall, any above-average player with 1-2 all-star appearances and longevity should get in...
    Last edited by D-Wait; 09-01-2020 at 06:32 AM.

Decent playground baller

everybody gets in

If Anwawn Jamison makes the HOF, they need to seriously toss out their current requirements and significantly up the standards of who gets voted in. The guy was honestly probably not even a top 25 player in the league at any point in his career, and we're seriously debating about whether or not he should be in the HOF? I've said it before, I think if you even need to ask if someone should make the HOF, they probably shouldn't, imo only the absolute no doubters should be in the HOF in the first place

If Anwawn Jamison makes the HOF, they need to seriously toss out their current requirements and significantly up the standards of who gets voted in.
    Is there a set of standards? I thought they just voted in a certain number of guys each year. Whatever, what, 4 or 5 guys get the most votes make it? If you have to vote for 5 guys and only 4 of them are better than Jamison, you have to vote for Jamison...

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
    Is there a set of standards? I thought they just voted in a certain number of guys each year. Whatever, what, 4 or 5 guys get the most votes make it? If you have to vote for 5 guys and only 4 of them are better than Jamison, you have to vote for Jamison...
    If that results in guy like Jamison making the HOF then the need to change that practice