Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    rank sentamentalist

Default Re: did socrates invent the socratic method?

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    Well, there has always been mythology. Mythology, it seems to me, is a culture's answer to certain questions that present themselves to intelligent but limited beings like us.
    WEAK era

My favorite Joyce story is Grace.

It's not stream of consciousness, though.

"Eveline" is a touching vignette.

Ulysses is kind of like Shrek. People pick it up without having the background of classical literature and Irish Catholic angst that infuses every line of the book. Just like people watch Shrek having never read a fairy tale. It can probably be done, but I can't see how it can have any meaning.

NBA Legend

Socrates did not invent the Socratic method.

I DID.

Banned

In my country, Europe, the Socratic Method is said to have invented Socrates, not the other way around.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    In my country, Europe, the Socratic Method is said to have invented Socrates, not the other way around.
    continental philosophers getting sucked into another wormhole

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    i have two copies of finnegans wake both unread bought three years apart both times knowing it's something i should read but probably won't
    No. It's not something you should read unless you're a Joyce scholar and speak several languages. But you should read some Joyce if you have the inclination.

It's like Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, it's nice to read an article about Finnegan's Wake, but there's no need to experience it firsthand.

There's an Italian writer writing now who is being compared to Joyce, Elena Ferrante whose books have just come in English.

This education site just named their 50 best short stories of all time.

Speaking of the heights of culture. Bugs Bunny turned 75 today.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    My favorite Joyce story is Grace.

It's not stream of consciousness, though.

"Eveline" is a touching vignette.
    I have to check those out.

Check out what I just found. Someone used the lyrics engine genius.com to annotate James Joyce
    http://genius.com/James-joyce-the-dead-annotated/

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    No. It's not something you should read unless you're a Joyce scholar and speak several languages. But you should read some Joyce if you have the inclination.

It's like Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, it's nice to read an article about Finnegan's Wake, but there's no need to experience it firsthand.

There's an Italian writer writing now who is being compared to Joyce, Elena Ferrante whose books have just come in English.

This education site just named their 50 best short stories of all time.

I hardly ever agree with any list of this sort (be it literature, music or whatever), but this one was actually not bad at all.

rank sentamentalist

bugs ****ing bunny there's an icon

he's reached mickey mouse and elmo level no doubt

mount rushmore of cartoon charcters. goddamn that's tough so much of me wants to include cartman and lisa and doug funny

5-time NBA All-Star

Socrates was pure, incisive and very scientific with his approach. I think that was what made it so separate from prior orators and writers.

I feel like Socrates disciples mystified him in their tales to be honest.

Keep in mind that everything we know of Socrates stems from what Plato knew or heard of Socrates. It is impossible to draw a line between what comes from Plato and what is from Socrates.

Even if Plato says "this is what Socrates said ... blah blah", we have no way of checking as Socrates' writings we never found.. supposedly, he never wrote anything, but that is horse$hit. A philosopher on the genius level of Socrates HAD to have written something. Maybe it will be found later but for now we have only Plato and what Plato told his own students about Socrates (mainly Aristotle).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Keep in mind that everything we know of Socrates stems from what Plato knew or heard of Socrates. It is impossible to draw a line between what comes from Plato and what is from Socrates.

Even if Plato says "this is what Socrates said ... blah blah", we have no way of checking as Socrates' writings we never found.. supposedly, he never wrote anything, but that is horse$hit. A philosopher on the genius level of Socrates HAD to have written something. Maybe it will be found later but for now we have only Plato and what Plato told his own students about Socrates (mainly Aristotle).
    Xenophon also wrote a bunch of Socratic dialogues, bro

rank sentamentalist

no way bro socrates might have been more of an orator, and its different to organize the thoughts in your head than words on a page. he was probably too hyper to sit down and make any of his rabid interrogations coherent in a larger way. or too bored with his own brain, he needed somebody else to bounce shit off otherwise he'd just go mad. i'm sure socrates was a total scatterbrain. plato cleaned him up and crystallized his method, but no human could live up to that fictional characterization.

There are a few sources on Socrates, not just Plato: Antisthenes, Xenophon, Aristophanes, all wrote of him, and would have known him personally (the remarkable General Alcibiades was also a pupil of his, and Plato claims they fought together, with Socrates saving his life). It is perfectly understandable him not leaving written works considering the oral tradition in Athens at the time. Basically, there is a fair amount of corroborating evidence that give you an idea of the man, his ideas and behaviours, but nothing certain, as is true of more or less everything that happened back then.

Nor was he more "scientific" from many of the pre-Socratics that came before (whatever that means - many of them sought truth, but Democritus probably came closest to the ideas of modern science - Socrates was not a materialist). And no, i don't think Socrates 'invented' such a method: he just refined it into an art-form.