Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Converting from two feet to one foot leaper, anyone here done this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    I jump higher off two feet but I want to be a one foot leaper instead. I dont give a shit about doing cool dunks (since most of them are off two). I just wanna be able to dunk in games but im only 6'1. I can dunk on 9'10 off two feet but i keep backrimming off one.

Should i just stop jumping off two altogether and just focus on one? Idk how to switch because i feel like two feet is more natural to me.
    Are you doing any jumping related workout?
    Like plyos? Or simply going to the gym? Or are you just trying naturally?

Transition isn't easy sometimes, it really depends on how comfortable you feel.
    There is quite some exercises to work on your techinique but mostly it comes down to repetitions.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    Are you doing any jumping related workout?
    Like plyos? Or simply going to the gym? Or are you just trying naturally?

Transition isn't easy sometimes, it really depends on how comfortable you feel.
    There is quite some exercises to work on your techinique but mostly it comes down to repetitions.
    I do squats, calf raises, and dunk on low rim (8-9 ft)

I feel like squatting mainly helped my two feet vertical but not so much one

Very good NBA starter

Wtf are you even saying, please gtfo

Dunking is totally different from doing layups
    do you have trouble with reading comprehension too?

you learn to jump off one foot in layup lines in grade school. that's how you do a fundamental layup - jumping off the correct foot, not on two feet nor the opposite foot.

before you get this down, you don't do circus twisty layups with the opposite hand or opposite foot. you need to know how to jump off one foot to do a damn simple layup.

if you still have no freaking clue what i'm telling you, it's a dead giveaway that you have never played organized ball in your life.

you have no fundamentals.
    Last edited by DCL; 07-27-2015 at 04:54 AM.

I do squats, calf raises, and dunk on low rim (8-9 ft)

I feel like squatting mainly helped my two feet vertical but not so much one
    That's some basic stuff, if you want to improve your jumping ability you need to work some other things.
    Dunking on low rims it's actually very good to make that conversion, i bet you spend some hours a week you'll get the combination of footwork and jump technique right easily.

Anytime you need some tips just let me know.
    I built an off season program for basketball players here in my country i could send you some information.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by DCL

you learn to jump off one foot in layup lines in grade school. that's how you do a fundamental layup - jumping off the correct foot, not on two feet nor the opposite foot.

before you get this down, you don't do circus twisty layups with the opposite hand or opposite foot. you need to know how to jump off one foot to do a damn simple layup.

if you still have no freaking clue what i'm telling you, it's a dead giveaway that you have never played organized ball in your life.

Are you ****ing stupid? Im not retarded of course I know how to jump

You are just saying obvious shit that has nothing to do with what i was asking

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    That's some basic stuff, if you want to improve your jumping ability you need to work some other things.
    Dunking on low rims it's actually very good to make that conversion, i bet you spend some hours a week you'll get the combination of footwork and jump technique right easily.

Anytime you need some tips just let me know.
    I built an off season program for basketball players here in my country i could send you some information.
    Thanks bro i'll let you know

Also, I read an interview of Jordan Kilganon (pro dunker) and he said he mainly raised his vert from just practicing on low rims so im just gonna try stick with that for a while.

Thanks bro i'll let you know

Also, I read an interview of Jordan Kilganon (pro dunker) and he said he mainly raised his vert from just practicing on low rims so im just gonna try stick with that for a while.
    Yea, Jordan helped developing a vertical program too. Most of the exercises that he's using are from a combination between college strenght program and some of the work that has been developed at P3 in Santa Barbara.

I don't know your age, so i don't know how much emphasis you can put on workouts and that kind of stuff but would be gladly to help you.

Very good NBA starter

Are you ****ing stupid? Im not retarded of course I know how to jump

You are just saying obvious shit that has nothing to do with what i was asking

and that's why you're asking dumb ass questions about how to jump off one foot.

NBA Superstar

I jump higher off two feet but I want to be a one foot leaper instead. I dont give a shit about doing cool dunks (since most of them are off two). I just wanna be able to dunk in games but im only 6'1. I can dunk on 9'10 off two feet but i keep backrimming off one.

Should i just stop jumping off two altogether and just focus on one? Idk how to switch because i feel like two feet is more natural to me.
    I've made the transition, it's more than possible. I think your biggest friend, if you really want to cross over to one-foot jumping, is repetition.

I started off as a one-footed dunker and switched to two at the end of my sophomore year because two-footed dunks felt cooler to pull off (easier to hang on rim & swing it back a little). Unfortunately, I didn't have Steve Francis hops, so dunking like that in actual games was an exercise in futility - people would track me down or I'd plant too hard and botch my launch.

The switch back to a one-footed dunker was really mostly about working out the kinks. Since I'd spent most of my dunk time just doing two-foot dunks, my one-footers suddenly felt klunky, like I was pounding my heel on the ground and taking off from too close. I think your slightly lowered rim is an okay strategy, since it can allow you to redevelop the proper approach and explosion.

Two other things I did:

-I practiced one-footed takeoffs while fatigued: If I had a full court at my disposal, I'd use it, getting myself tired then trying to max my one-foot jump thereafter. I wouldn't be able to dunk, because I was tired, but it built stamina and leg power needed to dunk successfully, particularly in games in the open floor.

-I practiced takeoffs from half court, not just from around the three-point line. I swear on my life, my biggest one-foot breakthrough came when I was 19 or 20 and assistant coaching a JV girls basketball team. We were practicing for a team who liked to throw deep outlets, so I played the deep outlet, catching at half court and mimicking an attack. It was during that drill where everything randomly clicked and I accidentally dunked off one foot again; began dunking in games with great regularity for the next 10 years from that day forward. Extra bonus: I never really lost the ability to dunk off two feet either, so it was the best of both worlds.

Either way, with you standing at 6'0'', I support the cross to being a primary one-footer. Two-footers are often too tough to come by at that height (and even mine, at 6'3'').
    Last edited by Rake2204; 07-27-2015 at 10:27 AM.

NBA Superstar

A couple more general tips: get low, stride out, get on your toes, make sure to have a firm grip on the rock so as not to compromise swing speed.

Even in modern day, Robert Pack is a guy I look to a lot for one-footed elevation tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vjgsY2Q55A

Low center of gravity (by not running upright) and power dribbles allowed him to make up space and set up his footing exactly as he wanted. He took full advantage of his two steps, striding and maxing, and he attacked at full speed.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL

With respect, there's a huge difference between jumping off one foot and being a one-footed dunker. For non-freak athletes, dunking can be habitual and not just about whether a person can physically jump off one or two feet, but whether they can jump as high as possible in those situations.

When I changed my focus to two-foot dunking, I could still jump off one foot and get to the rim just fine. However, I'd lost the pattern needed to super max my one-footed takeoff while bringing the ball with me, so it was just layup city off of one foot for a while until I re-developed optimum takeoff and elevation strategy.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 07-27-2015 at 09:13 AM.

I woulg get bullied at school if i was caught wearing those

Im not lying, Lebron and Westbrook dunk basic compared to Lavine. I have no chance of dunking like him so I wont even try
    You don't wear em to school.

You wear them and do jumping workouts in them.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

A little like Rake, I've made the switch twice. As a kid I jumped almost exclusively off of one foot. And it felt as if that was how I could maximize how high I got. It was at some point in my sophomore year when I switched to two feet. I'm not quite 6 feet, and at the time weighed about 190 lbs. I was able to dunk, but almost exclusively left handed. My reason for the change was that the two foot jumping is much more effective in a crowd, at least as far as I'm concerned, and allows for more shiftiness, and last second change of direction.

I continued that way until about thirty, when problems with my knees, and eventual surgery, caused me to start changing back. Especially when I was going with a good head of steam. Eventually, as most everyone knows, I tore my Achilles, and then changed full time mostly to protect the fixed leg. That eventually resulted in my other Achilles blowing out, and in what little I've played this year, a year out from that injury, I've sort of gone back to the two footed stance, mostly because both legs are so bad there's not much to compensate for anymore. But then again I'm not really jumping much anymore anyway.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I've made the transition, it's more than possible. I think your biggest friend, if you really want to cross over to one-foot jumping, is repetition.

I started off as a one-footed dunker and switched to two at the end of my sophomore year because two-footed dunks felt cooler to pull off (easier to hang on rim & swing it back a little). Unfortunately, I didn't have Steve Francis hops, so dunking like that in actual games was an exercise in futility - people would track me down or I'd plant too hard and botch my launch.

The switch back to a one-footed dunker was really mostly about working out the kinks. Since I'd spent most of my dunk time just doing two-foot dunks, my one-footers suddenly felt klunky, like I was pounding my heel on the ground and taking off from too close. I think your slightly lowered rim is an okay strategy, since it can allow you to redevelop the proper approach and explosion.

Two other things I did:

-I practiced one-footed takeoffs while fatigued: If I had a full court at my disposal, I'd use it, getting myself tired then trying to max my one-foot jump thereafter. I wouldn't be able to dunk, because I was tired, but it built stamina and leg power needed to dunk successfully, particularly in games in the open floor.

-I practiced takeoffs from half court, not just from around the three-point line. I swear on my life, my biggest one-foot breakthrough came when I was 19 or 20 and assistant coaching a JV girls basketball team. We were practicing for a team who liked to throw deep outlets, so I played the deep outlet, catching at half court and mimicking an attack. It was during that drill where everything randomly clicked and I accidentally dunked off one foot again; began dunking in games with great regularity for the next 10 years from that day forward. Extra bonus: I never really lost the ability to dunk off two feet either, so it was the best of both worlds.

Either way, with you standing at 6'0'', I support the cross to being a primary one-footer. Two-footers are often too tough to come by at that height (and even mine, at 6'3'').
    The bolded is exactly how i feel. It seems really awkward going off one right now but I remember being able to do it easier before I started jumping off two. I think I need to condition myself to leap off one by only focusing on it.

NBA Superstar

The bolded is exactly how i feel. It seems really awkward going off one right now but I remember being able to do it easier before I started jumping off two. I think I need to condition myself to leap off one by only focusing on it.
    Yep, repetition is huge. I'm also an advocate of making sure you're not jumping from too close. We can plant and take off right near the rim on two-foot dunks and still hammer. However, taking off close to the rim off one foot will often force your weight onto your heel and yield attempts that ricochet off the back iron.

Miming without a ball can help, just in terms of seeing what distances are too close and what distances are too far, then finding a happy medium. Just remember that if you're jumping off one foot on the run, you'll want to allow your body to reach its apex, which many prospective dunkers don't allow due to a too-close takeoff.

Jumping without a ball also allows concentration solely on the jumping process, which is obviously important when trying to rid of the awkward klunk and stomp processes.

I dont know about jumping but i first began m@sterbating with two hands. As i grew, i realized i needed a free hand to jerk off so i can hold my psp. The transition was not easy, many a times i failed. But after a couple of days of not nutting, i became so desperate that i was able to jerk with one hand even tho i was watching a bbw p0rn vid on my psp. I came everywhere since i had built up quite a load.