Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year NugzFan's Avatar

Default Re: Woj - Denver extends Danilo Gallinari; 2 years/ $34 million

Also remember next summer a lot of teams will have cap space and there aren't many good free agents out there. Meaning a couple teams would have definitely thrown Gallo a much bigger offer. Good to get him locked up now on a reasonable deal for only a couple seasons

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Gallo gets slept on. Good defense, incredibly smart player. People confuse him for being just a shooter when that's not even the best part of his game. In fact outside of him being made of glass I'd say his inconsistency as a shooter is his biggest flaw.

Gallo and Shaw butted heads. Shaw didn't even have him starting. Gallo averaged 19/5 on 44/40/89 post All-Star break in 24 games. Only getting 31 minutes. He's capable of averaging 16-19 points, being a solid defensive player, and just making smart choices with the basketball.

I would have preferred Denver to wait a season before they re-signed him but clearly they didn't want to risk it. It's a risk in itself given his injury history but after losing Lawson for nothing I can't really blame them for wanting to hold on to assets.

For all we know Danilo gets moved, or Chandler. Seems like Denver's just making sure they don't lose guys for nothing and take another Lawson like hit.
    Good post, but remember that Lawson was an anomaly. We had to dump him because of all the off court issues. If he didn't get all those DUIs hed most likely still be in Denver.

$17M per for a soft ass jumpshooting big?

Career 41% shooter with no upside. Mile high as fk.

i have no problem paying this for Gallo

he's been our MVP post-Melo, and is borderline All-Star when healthy

need to pay someone, and no star will sign as a FA in Denver

and its shocking how few ISH posters know Gallo's game.. a walking missmatch and a great two way players. Durant once called him and Tony Allen the two toughest defenders in the league

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NugzFan
    If he stays healthy it's a great deal (I think he had two 40 point games in the second half of the season?)

Obviously if he doesn't, it's not

But like you said...only two years. I like it.
    It is actually 2 years if he plays really good, but if he keeps having injury problems and keeps underperforming then it is three years. Because there is no way he'll turn down 17 millions if he has two bad years. All in all, they are in rebuild mode, the need to have X amount of dollars on the cap, and they might as well give it to someone until their rookies and sophmores are eligable for contracts.

Not terrible, just a meh move.

If he stays injury free, it is a great move. good defender and a good scorer. 15 mill for that is a steal in these times.

I love LAaaaaaaaaaaa! Lakers Fan's Avatar

How much do you think it would cost to buy two first round picks in the 8-12 range? 8-10 million per? I'd rather make an educated gamble on some rookies than pay this guy 17 million a year.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers Fan
    How much do you think it would cost to buy two first round picks in the 8-12 range? 8-10 million per? I'd rather make an educated gamble on some rookies than pay this guy 17 million a year.
    With him, they're projected to pick in the lotto anyway (plus have a pick swap with the Knicks next season).

Anyway, each team has $3M to use total during the season for trades, including obtaining draft picks. You can't buy a lotto pick unless a team stupidly trades one for just a few million bucks.

Imagine - for $6 million more, Spurs get Danny Green for twice as long. $17m per is just crazy.
    Last edited by rmt; 07-21-2015 at 08:10 PM.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Good post, but remember that Lawson was an anomaly. We had to dump him because of all the off court issues. If he didn't get all those DUIs hed most likely still be in Denver.
    Yeah. Just meant I'm sure after the entire Lawson fiasco the FO was determined to keep everybody/make trades etc. and not risk Gallo getting money thrown at him next year and walking.

Banned

Is the second year guaranteed? I know salaries are going up but with how Gallinari has played lately he's not worth this. He's making 1 mill more than a 23 year old injury free Tobias Harris. I thought Gallinari's stock had dropped considerably in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    i have no problem paying this for Gallo

he's been our MVP post-Melo, and is borderline All-Star when healthy

need to pay someone, and no star will sign as a FA in Denver

and its shocking how few ISH posters know Gallo's game.. a walking missmatch and a great two way players. Durant once called him and Tony Allen the two toughest defenders in the league
    When he was on in NY, he was a highlight reel. But sometimes he'd have a "Camby" play, and be banged up for 3 weeks. Maddening. I still like the kid, tho. He's got pedigree.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    Career 41% shooter with no upside. Mile high as fk.
    The irony of Kings fans making fun of other teams signing free agency, is breaking my computer

Quote Originally Posted by Giaodollo
    It is actually 2 years if he plays really good, but if he keeps having injury problems and keeps underperforming then it is three years. Because there is no way he'll turn down 17 millions if he has two bad years. All in all, they are in rebuild mode, the need to have X amount of dollars on the cap, and they might as well give it to someone until their rookies and sophmores are eligable for contracts.

Not terrible, just a meh move.

If he stays injury free, it is a great move. good defender and a good scorer. 15 mill for that is a steal in these times.

Agreed, if he stays healthy then this contract is an absolute steal compared to the other deals being handed out. But if he does not stay healthy, then it obviously will not be a good deal

The irony of Kings fans making fun of other teams signing free agency, is breaking my computer
    It must be hard to overpay for your own guys when he's under contract.