Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Mavs should have done the sign and trade

I'm not sure if this is turning into semantics.

To me, and it's just me, the current Mavs situation is the very definition of a disaster.

We traded away Calderon/Larkin/Crowder/Wright...a first and 2nd rounder...for rentals of Tyson/Rondo and were forced to take on Felton for 2 years.

We are going to be in the lottery.

And the guy we signed to bridge the gap just got made the fool in front of the basketball world after he had an extremely disappointing first year....oh, and he's not on the books past this year and we don't have his bird rights.

That is beyond a disaster and it was all put in motion because of the Parsons signing.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    [/B]

The bold is a contradiction.
    its not a contradiction.

If he hadn't flaked, it would have been a great move to go get him.

The Mavs could never have known 5 days ago when he agreed to join that he would punk out. If they had known 5 days ago he was this big of a flake they would have never gone after him in the first place. But there was no way to know that so its foolish to get pissed at the Mavs over something that isnt really their fault.

Also, I'm human...you call me a name and piss me off. I'm coming right back at you.
    then dont call somebody out for doing something you are going to do 2 minutes after calling them out for it.

You doubt he leaves and doubt he hurts the cap? Not sure how that works unless Parsons turns into a all nba type player....again you focus on the amount and not the length.
    Yes, I doubt he leaves and doubt he is going to **** the cap up. At worst he will be part of a S&T.

It was a terrible contract for the length...not just the dollar amount. And we don't have his bird rights this summer...so yes...it could be a problem...it could be a huge problem.
    You are projecting what might happen as what will happen.

Sorry but i just dont think Parsons is or will be a team killer.

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    its not a contradiction.

If he hadn't flaked, it would have been a great move to go get him.

The Mavs could never have known 5 days ago when he agreed to join that he would punk out. If they had known 5 days ago he was this big of a flake they would have never gone after him in the first place. But there was no way to know that so its foolish to get pissed at the Mavs over something that isnt really their fault.

then dont call somebody out for doing something you are going to do 2 minutes after calling them out for it.

Yes, I doubt he leaves and doubt he is going to **** the cap up. At worst he will be part of a S&T.

You are projecting what might happen as what will happen.

Sorry but i just dont think Parsons is or will be a team killer.

Again, you started it...I didn't come in hurling insults...you did. I responded...huge difference.

The bold is a contradiction. You can't say we were close and that it took him backing out late....and then also say he would have backed out regardless. We don't know the reasons he backed out...perhaps it had to do with him realizing we weren't going to be nearly as good as the Clippers.

I'm pissed at the Mavs for putting the franchise in this position.

I was hugely in favor of DJ and Wes coming to town...so you are creating a straw man there. I even said I'd give Parsons/Cuban a ton of credit for pulling this off...I just didn't think it was worth the risk and didn't think DJ was coming. But because I can admit I was wrong...I said I'd gladly do so and look at the Parsons signing in a new light if this plan worked. But it didn't work....and you can't always look at the best case scenarios. Which is what it seems you are doing. The reason I was against Parsons was because of the value I saw in other contracts at the time that came with far less risk.

My issue from the jump has been about the situation the Parsons contract has put us in.

Parsons already killed this team. We went with him and it killed the team. Whether we recover is up for debate. His first 2 years here are now disasters....it's set in stone.

What we do beyond this...I'm completely open to seeing where it goes.

Projecting? That is what all this is...I think you and the Mavs need to a bit more projecting in your analysis....it was my "projecting" that led me to the conclusion that the Parsons signing wasn't worth it.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 07-09-2015 at 02:51 PM.

I'm not sure if this is turning into semantics.

To me, and it's just me, the current Mavs situation is the very definition of a disaster.
    things arent going well right now that is true but that isnt b/c of Parsons. Its 100% b/c Dj ****ed them over like a cowardly child.

We traded away Calderon/Larkin/Crowder/Wright...a first and 2nd rounder...for rentals of Tyson/Rondo and were forced to take on Felton for 2 years.
    Niether was intended to be a rental. Nobody could have known that Rondo was such a baby that he would quit on the team. The Mavs absolutely would have kept TY had they known DJ was such a flake. Taking on Felton really isnt that big a deal. His teammates loved him and he is an expiring contract this year. That isnt a problem at all.

We are going to be in the lottery.
    Possibly. Gotta see what they do. Even if they end up there, why should you care since you thought they weren't competing this year? You'd rather not try and get a young guy in the draft if that's the route they go?

And the guy we signed to bridge the gap just got made the fool in front of the basketball world after he had an extremely disappointing first year....oh, and he's not on the books past this year and we don't have his bird rights.
    He was ballin before he got hurt the final time. Funny you completely ignore that he was rounding into form once he finally started to adjust being on a new team. He was wrecked by injuries last year. That is something you cant predict.

That is beyond a disaster and it was all put in motion because of the Parsons signing.

thats like saying this was all put into motion b/c they picked up Monta instead of tanking a few years ago.

Da Mavs

Nope. Tyson agreed with PHX right before Mavs even had their meeting with DAJ.

things arent going well right now that is true but that isnt b/c of Parsons. Its 100% b/c Dj ****ed them over like a cowardly child.

Niether was intended to be a rental. Nobody could have known that Rondo was such a baby that he would quit on the team. The Mavs absolutely would have kept TY had they known DJ was such a flake. Taking on Felton really isnt that big a deal. His teammates loved him and he is an expiring contract this year. That isnt a problem at all.

Possibly. Gotta see what they do. Even if they end up there, why should you care since you thought they weren't competing this year? You'd rather not try and get a young guy in the draft if that's the route they go?

He was ballin before he got hurt the final time. Funny you completely ignore that he was rounding into form once he finally started to adjust being on a new team. He was wrecked by injuries last year. That is something you cant predict.

thats like saying this was all put into motion b/c they picked up Monta instead of tanking a few years ago.
    Just no. Blaming DJ for this is a complete joke.

Nothing changes if DJ just doesn't come here. You continue to miss the point about risk/reward.

In the end...nothing happened other than DJ telling us he wasn't coming here. In fact, I think there is a good argument to be made for saying DJ saved us from ourselves by making stupid moves like trading for Hibbert or signing guys to fill out the roster.

Probably doesn't matter either way as Cuban admitted tanking was the plan though.

It would have been stupid to try and patch together a roster without him and make the playoffs anyway. I totally agree we should be bad and try to keep our pick.

But man...that is total BS blaming DJ for this. We put all our eggs in his basket from day 1 and it was either feast or famine.

You don't see the connection to all this with Parsons...I think that connection is clear...crystal clear.

Like I said...it would have been one thing to lock him up for 4 guaranteed years to give the team some stability and the contract would age very well. But a 2+1 in this environment? It's just a bad deal.

Again, you started it...I didn't come in hurling insults...you did. I responded...huge difference.
    there really isnt.

you cant cry about somebody talking trash and then turn around and talk trash w/o being a complete hypocrite.

The bold is a contradiction. You can't say we were close and that it took him backing out late....and then also say he would have backed out regardless. We don't know the reasons he backed out...perhaps it had to do with him realizing we weren't going to be nearly as good as the Clippers.
    it isnt a contradiction, sorry.

I'm pissed at the Mavs for putting the franchise in this position.

I was hugely in favor of DJ and Wes coming to town...so you are creating a straw man there. I even said I'd give Parsons/Cuban a ton of credit for pulling this off...I just didn't think it was worth the risk and didn't think DJ was coming. But because I can admit I was wrong...I said I'd gladly do so and look at the Parsons signing in a new light if this plan worked. But it didn't work....and you can't always look at the best case scenarios. Which is what it seems you are doing. The reason I was against Parsons was because of the value I saw in other contracts at the time that came with far less risk.
    You cant tell somebody to not look at best case scenarios when all you do is lok at worst case.

My issue from the jump has been about the situation the Parsons contract has put us in.
    his contract hasnt hurt the team. Sorry but that simply isnt true.

Parsons already killed this team. We went with him and it killed the team. Whether we recover is up for debate. His first 2 years here are now disasters....it's set in stone.
    He really didn't. If you want to call a move a team killer it was going for Rondo which they probably wouldnt have even done had they known Dragic was available.

What we do beyond this...I'm completely open to seeing where it goes.
    you sure dont sound that way.

Projecting? That is what all this is...I think you and the Mavs need to a bit more projecting in your analysis....it was my "projecting" that led me to the conclusion that the Parsons signing wasn't worth it.
    Well we are never going to agree.

The fact that you blame him for other players being flakes is a jokes. Its not his fault Rondo is a shit head. Its not his fault DJ is a flaky liar. Its not his fault the front office decided to go after DJ instead of keeping Tyson.

But go ahead and continue to irrationally blame everything on one player.
    Last edited by kentatm; 07-09-2015 at 03:01 PM.

Just no. Blaming DJ for this is a complete joke.

Nothing changes if DJ just doesn't come here. You continue to miss the point about risk/reward.

In the end...nothing happened other than DJ telling us he wasn't coming here.

It would have been stupid to try and patch together a roster without him and make the playoffs anyway. I totally agree we should be bad and try to keep our pick.

But man...that is total BS blaming DJ for this. We put all our eggs in his basket from day 1 and it was either feast or famine.

You don't see the connection to all this with Parsons...I think that connection is clear...crystal clear.

Like I said...it would have been one thing to lock him up for 4 guaranteed years to give the team some stability and the contract would age very well. But a 2+1 in this environment? It's just a bad deal.

You think blaming DJ, who told the Mavs he was coming, who is the reason they let TY walk, who waited for 5 days until a few hours before he was to sign to change his mind is stupid?

If Dallas had known he wasnt all in THEY WOULD HAVE KEPT TYSON and made different roster moves this offseason.

Why is this so difficult for you to accept?

But I dont know why I even got dragged into this shit b/c like I said, you refuse to quit until you have the last word and just regurgitate the same drivel over and over. peace out homie.

there really isnt.

you cant cry about somebody talking trash and then turn around and talk trash w/o being a complete hypocrite.

it isnt a contradiction, sorry.

You cant tell somebody to not look at best case scenarios when all you do is lok at worst case.

his contract hasnt hurt the team. Sorry but that simply isnt true.

He really didn't. If you want to call a move a team killer it was going for Rondo which they probably wouldnt have even done had they known Dragic was available.

you sure dont sound that way.

Well we are never going to agree.

The fact that you blame him for other players being flakes is a jokes. Its not his fault Rondo is a shit head. Its not his fault DJ is a flaky liar. Its not his fault the front office decided to go after DJ instead of keeping Tyson.

But go ahead and continue to irrationally blame everything on one player.
    Responding to an attack is different than hurling the first attack.

I'll try to clean this up. I don't blame "Parsons the player"...I blame the "Parsons signing"

You make it sound like I blame Chandler Parsons for this. Not at all...I blame our franchise for getting cute and signing a player to a weird deal that didn't make much sense.

The fact that you still support it shows me that you will never change your mind.

I know I'll be able to change my mind...and have even said as such when this was all going down.

You are looking at the worst case scenario and still saying it was a good signing.

You think blaming DJ, who told the Mavs he was coming, who is the reason they let TY walk, who waited for 5 days until a few hours before he was to sign to change his mind is stupid?

If Dallas had known he wasnt all in THEY WOULD HAVE KEPT TYSON and made different roster moves this offseason.

Why is this so difficult for you to accept?

But I dont know why I even got dragged into this shit b/c like I said, you refuse to quit until you have the last word and just regurgitate the same drivel over and over. peace out homie.
    Tyson agreed to go to the Suns before DJ made his decision.

This is my exact point. You are ****ing revising history that happened days ago.

Why are you lying right now? Do you think nobody is going to call you out on it?

You realize there is risk in chasing free agents...right?

Responding to an attack is different than hurling the first attack.
    not if you are trying to claim high ground brah

I'll try to clean this up. I don't blame "Parsons the player"...I blame the "Parsons signing"

You make it sound like I blame Chandler Parsons for this. Not at all...I blame our franchise for getting cute and signing a player to a weird deal that didn't make much sense.
    w/the way you shit on him it sure sounds like you have a problem with him beyond his contract.

The fact that you still support it shows me that you will never change your mind.
    b/c his signing isnt the problem. Its the two players they went for afterwards that are.

I know I'll be able to change my mind...and have even said as such when this was all going down.

You are looking at the worst case scenario and still saying it was a good signing.
    B/c his signing isnt what caused this. Two guys who were selfish for differing reasons are.

Tyson agreed to go to the Suns before DJ made his decision.

This is my exact point. You are ****ing revising history that happened days ago.

Why are you lying right now? Do you think nobody is going to call you out on it?

You realize there is risk in chasing free agents...right?
    He agreed with the Suns before the DJ agreement b/c the Mavs told him to go ahead and get his. It was reported multiple times on the radio here in Dallas they told him they were cool with him not waiting around b/c they thought they were going to get DJ.

So no, I'm not revising history or lying.

not if you are trying to claim high ground brah

w/the way you shit on him it sure sounds like you have a problem with him beyond his contract.

b/c his signing isnt the problem. Its the two players they went for afterwards that are.

B/c his signing isnt what caused this. Two guys who were selfish for differing reasons are.
    Really disagree. And I've explained why. This stuff is way more connected than you are letting on.

By signing Parsons it puts your franchise in a specific position in which certain moves become necessary.

He agreed with the Suns before the DJ agreement b/c the Mavs told him to go ahead and get his. It was reported multiple times on the radio here in Dallas they told him they were cool with him not waiting around b/c they thought they were going to get DJ.

So no, I'm not revising history or lying.
    Dude. We never had DJ in the bag...even Cuban said it was touch and go.

DJ was torn the entire time...there was never any indication we had him in the bag.

Absolutely revisionist history....

Once we decided to pursue DJ...we lost Tyson unless Tyson breaks his word with the Suns....that is a fact.

I don't like that move for a borderline playoff team. Tyson is only getting worse year by year...while the rest of the team is on a different trajectory if things work out well.

Just not a signing that makes a ton of sense without the chance at LMA...

Yet he's coming off one of the better seasons of his career. If he gives them two good seasons as a starter, and then a solid backup after, he is worth it.

The Suns are a better team with Chandler than without. Even if they miss the playoffs, at some point you need some veteran leadership in your locker room to keep things on an even keel.