Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I rule the local playground

Default Re: The ISH double standard with Melo & Cp3

i think it's that cp3 is an excellent player despite lack of postseason results whereas melo is a great scorer and pretty much average or bad at everything else on the court

Paul led the Clippers to one of the biggest meltdowns in playoff history. Up 19 in a game 6 on your homecourt to close out the other team against Dwight Howard and a bunch of role players. You can say he wasn't the only reason, but when you're the best player on your team, it is your job to make sure you don't get outscored by 25 in the 4th quarter. I admit Paul is more accomplished, but he's had a lot better talent around him as well. Imagine if Melo had a top 10 player like Blake Griffin alongside him, he would get to the conference finals for sure.

I rule the local playground

yeah blake griffin would make magic with melo watching melo dribble for 23.5 seconds and brick a 22 foot 2

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Paul led the Clippers to one of the biggest meltdowns in playoff history. Up 19 in a game 6 on your homecourt to close out the other team against Dwight Howard and a bunch of role players. You can say he wasn't the only reason, but when you're the best player on your team, it is your job to make sure you don't get outscored by 25 in the 4th quarter. I admit Paul is more accomplished, but he's had a lot better talent around him as well. Imagine if Melo had a top 10 player like Blake Griffin alongside him, he would get the conference finals for sure.
    But who gives Paul a pass for last year and the year before though?

I just don't see the double standard. Paul is hammered for his play and never getting out of the 2nd round.

The reasons he's that of as better than Melo have everything to do with what kind of basketball player he is and nothing to do with playoff success....

I just don't see the double standard. Paul is thought of as better because he's a better player....at least most people think that.

You can say they are wrong...and that's fine...but there isn't some double standard or inconsistency here.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    But who gives Paul a pass for last year and the year before though?

I just don't see the double standard. Paul is hammered for his play and never getting out of the 2nd round.

The reasons he's that of as better than Melo have everything to do with what kind of basketball player he is and nothing to do with playoff success....

I just don't see the double standard. Paul is thought of as better because he's a better player....at least most people think that.

You can say they are wrong...and that's fine...but there isn't some double standard or inconsistency here.
    Look, when you're better than someone you should definitely have more playoff success than the other, ESPECIALLY if you have played on more talented teams. And it's not a small sample, these guys have been in the league for 9-10 years. Does CP3 have amazing numbers? Yes. Does CP3 know how to run a team better? Yes. Why hasn't that translated into more postseason success?

And I guess they both get roasted. But Melo is literally a punching bag on here.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Has Paul ever had as good of playoff a run as Melo had in 09?

in 09 Melo absolutly wiped the floor with Pauls team.. including the most embarrassing loss in NBA playoff history when the Nuggets beat the Hornets by 60 points on Cp3s home floor.. Melo led his team over Cp3's team in the playoffs.. and outplayed him while doing so..

Melo led the Nuggets in that series with 24/6/5/2/1 on 47% including 34 points in the close out game.. while Cp3 continued to shit the bed in games 4 and 5..

2nd round.. Nuggets face the Mavs (09 Dirk probably the most athletic version of Dirk, at the peak of his skills)

Melo leads his team over Dirk's team in 5 games posting 30/7/3/2/1 on 49%.. 61% TS..

i'll just stop there since Paul has never gone accomplished this much (advanced past 2 rounds)

in the WCF Melo put up 28/5/4 on 55% TS and lost to the Lakers..

Paul has never put together a playoff run as good as that.. has he..?

CP3's level of play is irrelevant in discussions about him so you're basically asking if his team has ever gotten to the CF? You already know the answer.

That Nuggets team had an easier path than any of Paul's teams though. They faced a depleted Hornets team and a 50 win Mavs team that was nothing special. Both are worse than any team CP has ever faced. Compare those teams to the Warriors, OKC, Grizzlies or the Spurs.