Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Things like this is why Duncan's attitude wins compared to Kobe

And yet, still hasn't passed kobe in ringcount. Absolutely pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Giving up money to sign other players is not an admirable thing imo. Just sounds short sighted and put this game on a higher pedestal than it should be. Duncan has already been through a divorce and proven to be a poor money manager. I don't like to count people's money but I'm also not gonna use that in an argument between two basketball players
    Not that divorce is ever a good thing, but at least he had a pre-nuptial (unlike Kobe who would lose half of everything because California is a community property state).

And which 39 year old is getting paid $10mil. It's only because Duncan has been so good in his old age that you consider it a discount. Most old players are not getting that kind of pay.

Edit: Kobe would lose 1/2 because he doesn't have a pre-nuptial. Texas is also a community property state.
    Last edited by rmt; 07-04-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Banned

Why do people keep saying this shit like Kobe (or Duncan) have anything to prove at this point? They're not playing for legacies anymore. They're just playing because they love playing.

People were saying Kobe was selfish over a decade ago and he would never learn to trust his teammates enough to lead them...and he did. This is 2015...not 1999

5 Ringz

Great college starter Quickening's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    Why do people keep saying this shit like Kobe (or Duncan) have anything to prove at this point? They're not playing for legacies anymore. They're just playing because they love playing.

People were saying Kobe was selfish over a decade ago and he would never learn to trust his teammates enough to lead them...and he did. This is 2015...not 1999
    Duncan playing because he loves winnning. CrippleBe playing because he loves getting 25 mill per year

It shows that there are multiple leadership styles that can win. I would never want to play with a guy like Kobe, while I would BEG Gregg Popovich to sign me if I was an NBA player. But you cannot deny that Kobes style is effective. 5 rings does not lie. Multiple finals MVPs does not lie.

I will say- Duncans attitude seems much better for aging gracefully. He is willing to let others guys step up, shorten his own role while being effective. He has more self awareness. Kobe is just going out in FLAMES, refusing to change his style at ALL. And honestly, that is pretty awesome. It is iconic in a way, beautiful.. that Kobe refuses to play any other way besides HIS way- until the bitter end. But look at where it has gotten him. Holding his team hostage with his gigantic salary. Pushing other good players away from wanting to play with him. Shooting WAY too much and missing WAY too much as an aging SG, holding back his young teammates and sabotaging their growth and development. Injured all the time from taking on too much of a load every single night.

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    It shows that there are multiple leadership styles that can win. I would never want to play with a guy like Kobe, while I would BEG Gregg Popovich to sign me if I was an NBA player. But you cannot deny that Kobes style is effective. 5 rings does not lie. Multiple finals MVPs does not lie.

I will say- Duncans attitude seems much better for aging gracefully. He is willing to let others guys step up, shorten his own role while being effective. He has more self awareness. Kobe is just going out in FLAMES, refusing to change his style at ALL. And honestly, that is pretty awesome. It is iconic in a way, beautiful.. that Kobe refuses to play any other way besides HIS way- until the bitter end. But look at where it has gotten him. Holding his team hostage with his gigantic salary. Pushing other good players away from wanting to play with him. Shooting WAY too much and missing WAY too much as an aging SG, holding back his young teammates and sabotaging their growth and development. Injured all the time from taking on too much of a load every single night.
    I agree everything except the bolded. It's not awesome, iconic or beautiful - it's the height of SELFISHNESS - thinking only of himself and not the team and it's ugly - who wants to watch chucking/missing.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    I agree everything except the bolded. It's not awesome, iconic or beautiful - it's the height of SELFISHNESS - thinking only of himself and not the team and it's ugly - who wants to watch chucking/missing.
    Thing is that this is Kobe. Without this part of his personality, he is just a flashy swingman. It's this trait that let him become on of the top ten players of all time, not overwhelming physical talent...so a true fan expected this and understood it was the price to pay for those 7 finals appearances and 5 titles. We all saw this coming and we are fine with it. It's what happens when you make a deal with a guy who made a deal with the devil.

Decent playground baller

You honestly think Aldridge would join the Spurs if they had 2 rookies and 1 second year guy as their projected starters like the Lakers. Aldridge made the right choice joining a Spurs team with 2 guys in their prime and 3 older vets who know how to win titles.

Banned

I'm still trying to figure out at what point did Kobe say that he doesn't want to play with other great players, or that there has to be stipulations if another star comes to play for the Lakers. It's like you guys just invent narratives to go along with your perception.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by triangleoffense
    San Antonio was nothing until they beat the Lakers in 03
    meh... just treat them like homeless crazy people walking around talking to themselves

don't make eye contact

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Thing is that this is Kobe. Without this part of his personality, he is just a flashy swingman. It's this trait that let him become on of the top ten players of all time, not overwhelming physical talent...so a true fan expected this and understood it was the price to pay for those 7 finals appearances and 5 titles. We all saw this coming and we are fine with it. It's what happens when you make a deal with a guy who made a deal with the devil.
    Well, then, Laker fans shouldn't whine when Aldridge decides on SAS and complain about the help that Duncan has. It's all part of the package and regardless of what others think, it is very important (probably the most important skill in most jobs) to get along with the people you work with (especially in a TEAM sport like basketball).