Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: This really should be the easiest decision of Aldridge's life and he's taking his

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    If this drags out much longer, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs take themselves out of the running. They offer championship experience, the best front office and coach in the league, a young superstar who just signed a long-term contract, and Aldridge is from Texas.

Yeah I don't see that happening at all. This isn't 10 years ago, they've got an aging team which has lost quite a bit of depth already this offseason. Splitter, Baynes and Belinelli are all gone. Ginobili appears likely to be gone.

They aren't in any position to turn down an All-Star level player. I think Aldridge is the difference between them being a legit title contender and just another playoff team.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: This really should be the easiest decision of Aldridge's life and he's taking his

[QUOTE=PejaNowitzki]
    Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41

Look, I'm not going to argue with you back and forth over the merits of the Spurs, you think they'll be just fine because Kawhi Leonard will dominate the NBA, I think they'll take a step back, eitherway my point which stands is that there is long-term uncertainty.

They might just be fine, or they might fall apart and wind up in the lottery. Maybe they'll keep on winning, maybe they won't but the "maybe's" exist when you consider that 2 of the team's 3 best players over the past decade are on the way out and potentially the only head coach that they've ever won titles with. That's certainly a lot to ponder over for Aldridge.

Certainly you can argue that there are questions with Phoenix but you can look at the roster and have a better idea of who should be around a few years from now.
    Leonard is going to dominate the league? I didn't say that...I merely said he's better than you are giving him credit for.

He's easily better than any player on the Suns right now and he's on a discounted contract.

The Suns just signed Tyson Chandler and Brandon Knight to long term contracts. They'll have to trade assets to fit LMA in as well.

There is absolutely nothing "special" about the future of the Suns compared to the future of the Spurs. In fact, the Spurs are just clearly better now and seem more ripe to stay that way with their superior franchise and players.

The Suns have been kind of a mess actually...they tried to tank and turned into a good team...then traded away IT on a great contract (huge mistake)...

There is absolutely no reason to think the Suns have a bright future and the Spurs don't.

Why? Because of Knight on a questionable contract? Bledsoe? Just no.

Magic Johnson

I would trade the entire Suns franchise minus their training staff for Popovich.

[QUOTE=DMAVS41]
    Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki

Leonard is going to dominate the league? I didn't say that...I merely said he's better than you are giving him credit for.

He's easily better than any player on the Suns right now and he's on a discounted contract.

The Suns just signed Tyson Chandler and Brandon Knight to long term contracts. They'll have to trade assets to fit LMA in as well.

There is absolutely nothing "special" about the future of the Suns compared to the future of the Spurs. In fact, the Spurs are just clearly better now and seem more ripe to stay that way with their superior franchise and players.

The Suns have been kind of a mess actually...they tried to tank and turned into a good team...then traded away IT on a great contract (huge mistake)...

There is absolutely no reason to think the Suns have a bright future.

Why? Because of Knight on a questionable contract? Bledsoe? Just no.

I'll take Bledsoe, Knight, Chandler and young players such as Booker, Len, Warren and Goodwin over the Spurs roster without Duncan and Ginobili, but let's just agree to disagree because I don't see this being productive at all.

NBA lottery pick

It's a life changing decision. He should be allowed to think about for more then 3 days. And Phoenix is a great city for a rich black guy who likes white hoes. Rumor has it all girls do in San Antonio is double fist churros
    Last edited by christian1923; 07-04-2015 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    It's a life changing decision. He should be allowed to think about for more then 3 days. And Phoenix is a great city for a rich black guy who likes white hoes.

[QUOTE=PejaNowitzki]

I'll take Bledsoe, Knight, Chandler and young players such as Booker, Len, Warren and Goodwin over the Spurs roster without Duncan and Ginobili, but let's just agree to disagree because I don't see this being productive at all.
    Why without Duncan though?

He's playing this year, Manu likely is as well....

You might as well not include Chandler on the Suns then.

Duncan was better than Tyson last year and will be better again this year unless something changes (it could)...

But again, this is about your claim that the Spurs are short term contenders.

What makes you think the Spurs couldn't build quality teams around Leonard/LMA...two all nba type players?

Given their franchise history...questioning that just seems really silly.

It's the Suns history and ability that should be questioned here...not the best franchise in all of sports over the last 20 years.

And I'm not saying the Suns won't be great with LMA...they will...I'm simply refuting your claim that the Spurs should be viewed as a short term contender.

[QUOTE=DMAVS41]
    Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki

Why without Duncan though?

He's playing this year, Manu likely is as well....
    Because that is the reality for the Spurs going forward. Duncan is 39, this is his last season most likely. Ginobili might already be done, if not this year then next. That's 2 of the very best players in your franchise's history walking out the door in a year.

You might as well not include Chandler on the Suns then.

One guy is 32, one guy is 39....makes sense.

Duncan was better than Tyson last year and will be better again this year unless something changes (it could)...
    That remains to be seen, Chandler is coming off one of his best seasons of his career.

teams around Leonard/LMA...two all nba type players?
    I'm saying there is uncertainty, there is no guarantee that they will be able to fill up the roster like you seem to expect.

People said the same thing about the Celtics as well. Times change, unless you are arguing that the Spurs are going to find another HOF caliber player like Robinson and Duncan have been, its all just conjecture. They could have the bottom fall out on their franchise considering that Popovich and Duncan are the two people that they've had the most success with. Maybe they will continue to thrive, maybe not, at some point, they are due for a downturn, it happens to every team.

It's the Suns history and ability that should be questioned here...not the best franchise in all of sports over the last 20 years.

You act like the Suns are the Toronto Raptors. They have the 4th best win percentage in NBA history. I think they went through some rough years recently, particularly with Blanks as GM but appear to have the right people in charge to be successful again.

Anyways as I said before, I don't see continuing this discussion further being productive. You have your opinions, I have mine, neither of us are changing anything. Feel free to have the last word.

Magic Johnson

[QUOTE=PejaNowitzki][QUOTE=DMAVS41]

[quote]

You act like the Suns are the Toronto Raptors. They have the 4th best win percentage in NBA history. I think they went through some rough years recently, particularly with Blanks as GM but appear to have the right people in charge to be successful again.

Anyways, I have a feeling that you're one of those people who has to have the last word in everything so have at it, I don't see this being productive. You have your opinions, I have mine, neither of us are changing anything.
    Their pitch to Aldridge was basically: "We suck and have never won a championship. If you sign with us and help us win a ring, you will be a God."

[QUOTE=LA_Showtime][QUOTE=PejaNowitzki][QUOTE=DMAVS41]

Their pitch to Aldridge was basically: "We suck and have never won a championship. If you sign with us and help us win a ring, you will be a God."

That pretty much would be the pitch to any major free agent if you're one of the most consistently winning teams in NBA history but haven't won a title. Whoever gets them over the top ends up with local GOAT status, never has to pay for a drink or a lapdance again.

[QUOTE=PejaNowitzki]

Because that is the reality for the Spurs going forward. Duncan is 39, this is his last season most likely. Ginobili might already be done, if not this year then next. That's 2 of the very best players in your franchise's history walking out the door in a year.

One guy is 32, one guy is 39....makes sense.

That remains to be seen, Chandler is coming off one of his best seasons of his career.

I'm saying there is uncertainty, there is no guarantee that they will be able to fill up the roster like you seem to expect.

People said the same thing about the Celtics as well. Times change, unless you are arguing that the Spurs are going to find another HOF caliber player like Robinson and Duncan have been, its all just conjecture. They could have the bottom fall out on their franchise considering that Popovich and Duncan are the two people that they've had the most success with. Maybe they will continue to thrive, maybe not, at some point, they are due for a downturn, it happens to every team.

Anyways as I said before, I don't see continuing this discussion further being productive. You have your opinions, I have mine, neither of us are changing anything. Feel free to have the last word.

I don't have to have the last word.

I just don't see you supporting your assertion that the Spurs are a short term contender.

You do realize they can add players once Duncan and others are done...right?

Again, the Spurs have the better roster right now...that isn't remotely debatable. What happens in the future is up for debate, but the Suns don't have some great roster or proven track record to warrant saying they have a brighter future than the Spurs.

Tyson is a fine player, but he's also been injury prone throughout this career...he's been tossed to the curb twice in the last 6 years....literally nobody in the league wanted him in 11...and the Knicks basically gave him away last summer.

I'd be very weary of placing certainty on a team heavily relying on Tyson...with unproven players like Knight and Bledsoe that haven't ever really played a playoff game in a large role.

To me, that seems extremely uncertain long term...especially for a player that is 30 next year like LMA

so this is dragging out because LMA doesn't want to play center?

What the fck, he wants to play shooting guard instead?

Dunking on everybody in the park magictricked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keep-itreal
    so this is dragging out because LMA doesn't want to play center?

What the fck, he wants to play shooting guard instead?
    More than that

He's got some teams that are not contenders next year and one that is, but the non contenders have more promising long term outlook

The one that is a contender will have to do some more tricky maneuvering to clear the cap space to bring him on board so there goes some talent plus the big names on the team including the coach have been hinting at retirement for the last 3 years so he has to wonder how long the window is open. It won't be long

Quote Originally Posted by magictricked
    More than that

He's got some teams that are not contenders next year and one that is, but the non contenders have more promising long term outlook

The one that is a contender will have to do some more tricky maneuvering to clear the cap space to bring him on board so there goes some talent plus the big names on the team including the coach have been hinting at retirement for the last 3 years so he has to wonder how long the window is open. It won't be long
    The Spurs have the space to sign him now.

They already traded Splitter.

They don't have to do anything else.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magictricked
    More than that

Which non-contending teams have a better outlook than the Spurs?