Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Kwahi Leonard to sign 5 year 90M deal Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    i wanna see something like 20/7/3 next year
    Not gonna happen. Pop's gonna have him play 32 minutes tops.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    I think it's the case that the players know it's a first rate organization - that they take care of theirs. See it from Leonard's point of view - drafted at #15 - follow the guidance of Pop, Duncan, Chip Engelland - end up with a FMVP and DPOY award at age 23. All that while playing LOW minutes, pretty much pressure-free environment (because he plays with the big 3), doesn't have to lead, can grow/develop at his own pace and look forward to eventually leading the team and having a long career. Good front office to put pieces around/beside him so they can contend for a long time.

Nobody's forced Duncan, Parker and Manu to take less.
    Ok, but Anthony Davis just got a 145m dollar contract, him and Kawhi both fall under the same Derrick Rose rule, and we all know Kawhi could demand the max seeing as everyone is getting it these days.

You're telling me he left $55 million on the table because San Antonio is taking care of him? Something's up, else he is a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    Ok, but Anthony Davis just got a 145m dollar contract, him and Kawhi both fall under the same Derrick Rose rule, and we all know Kawhi could demand the max seeing as everyone is getting it these days.

You're telling me he left $55 million on the table because San Antonio is taking care of him? Something's up, else he is a moron.
    I don't think Leonard can legally get close to a 145m contract. Isn't what you are allowed based on your previous salary which is based on where you're drafted. Davis was a #1 draft pick - Leonard #15. I love Anthony Davis and think he's gonna be great, but gimme Leonard at 55m less.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

He got the most money he could. He didn't take a pay cut.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

Kawhi Leonard signs maximum contract extension with Spurs, reports say
    Adi Joseph's headshot

Adi Joseph @AdiJose

Kawhi Leonard gave the Spurs a loyalty discount — by taking the largest possible contract now.

The 2014 NBA Finals MVP and the Spurs have come to terms on a five-year, $90 million maximum contract extension, according to multiple reports. Leonard hit restricted free agency at 12:01 p.m. ET and wasted no time taking the contract most expected him to accept all season.

Please stop with all the conspiracy theories. Here's the reason why Anthony Davies can make $145m and Leonard cannot:

A Designated Player may be eligible to earn 30% of the salary cap (rather than the standard 25%) if he passes certain criteria. To be eligible, the player must be voted to start in two All-Star Games, or be named to an All-NBA Team twice (at any level), or be named MVP. Officially titled the "5th Year 30% Max Criteria"[2] it has been dubbed (and is more commonly known as) the "Derrick Rose Rule" after the 2011 MVP,[13] due to the fact that when the criterion was introduced, Rose was the only player in the NBA eligible to sign the maximum extension (due to his MVP award).[14] The reasoning for the rule is to suitably reward players being extended off of their rookie contract who are considered to be of a higher "caliber" than their peers, without restricting them to the lower (25%) salary level.[15] A player may sign a "5th Year, 30% Max" contract before the final year of his rookie contract and before fulfilling the criteria needed to receive the 30% salary grade. Should the player fail to fulfil the criteria before the start of his Designated Player contract, he will receive the standard five year, 25% Designated Player contract. James Harden of the Houston Rockets had such a clause in his contract extension, but failed to meet the criteria.[16] The only player in the NBA who was attempting to qualify for a full 30% contract in 2013

i feel it

I just love bathing in this salt.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    I don't think Leonard can legally get close to a 145m contract. Isn't what you are allowed based on your previous salary which is based on where you're drafted. Davis was a #1 draft pick - Leonard #15. I love Anthony Davis and think he's gonna be great, but gimme Leonard at 55m less.
    If I am a ridiculously rich nba team owner I would fork out the extra $11 mill plus luxury taxes for Davis without thinking twice.

Conspiracy theorists

Good for Kawhi and the Spurs...they're getting some of his improvement years at a what's going to seem like a bargain in a couple of years. When he hits his prime, he'll be ready to make the real money.

lets wait if he can still progress, or if the last 2 years were already is ceiling.

if they can sign LMA....SPurs are gonna be at the WCF save nearly every year, if Duncan, Pop, Manu and Parker will play some more seasons
    Last edited by pastis; 07-01-2015 at 07:58 AM.

Banned

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

This is false.

You are forgetting that AD is signing an extension that starts next year. That is why he's eligible for such a bigger starting number and then his yearly raises are based off that number.

Leonard is not leaving that much on the table.

Leonard isn't taking the full max for him mind you essentially because he's taking the long term deal now, but people are forgetting that AD's deal doesn't kick in this year.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 07-01-2015 at 08:35 AM.