Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Is this offseason a make or break for the Cavs?

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    Ultimately they won't be able to keep Shump and JR. I believe they will keep Shumpert as he's only 25 and the perfect player for their system.

JR is 30 and is going to want 9 million over 3-4 years. I don't see JR giving a home discount when he's collecting checks.
    No way in hell JR is going to demand that much. IMO, he'll probably stay in the $6.5 million range, but he'll just want it over 3-4 years. I'm sure he remembers all too well what it was like in New York. His contract at $6 million a year was seen as one of the worst in the entire NBA and, if not for landing here, his career could have been in jeopardy. I don't see him pushing the Cavs too far to the point where we let him walk. That would be a horrible mistake by JR.

Shump is pretty much a lock to be re-signed. He actually isn't even 25 yet. His birthday is tomorrow. He's still technically 24 and the Cavs should absolutely view him as a core piece for now and the future.

We also have life beyond LeBron to consider. And, right now, we're pretty good in that department with Kyrie (23), Love (26), Tristan (24) and Shump (24). That's a pretty encouraging foursome for the next decade.

When LeBron begins to inevitably slip, all of those guys will be in or approaching their prime years. It's a great situation if they can hold it together.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Bingo.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Too bad you guys couldn't have worked out something to get Batum. I thought he'd be on the block regardless...and he was. Can't believe the Blazers got back Vonleh for him though. Charlotte overpaid for him imo....giving up the number 9 pick like that and a solid player in Henderson for the real possibility of a 1 year rental for Batum. Don't like that much.

Sucks...would have been great for the Cavs to turn Haywood, 1st, and Joe Harris or something into Batum.
    Like I said, Batum always seemed like a bit of a pipedream to me, even though I badly wanted it to happen. He would have been a perfect fit.

I'm thinking Wilson Chandler or Danilo Gallinari would be best case scenarios with that Haywood contract now. A little more realistic than Batum, imo.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    No way in hell JR is going to demand that much. IMO, he'll probably stay in the $6.5 million range, but he'll just want it over 3-4 years. I'm sure he remembers all too well what it was like in New York. His contract at $6 million a year was seen as one of the worst in the entire NBA and, if not for landing here, his career could have been in jeopardy. I don't see him pushing the Cavs too far to the point where we let him walk. That would be a horrible mistake by JR.

Shump is pretty much a lock to be re-signed. He actually isn't even 25 yet. His birthday is tomorrow. He's still technically 24 and the Cavs should absolutely view him as a core piece for now and the future.

We also have life beyond LeBron to consider. And, right now, we're pretty good in that department with Kyrie (23), Love (26), Tristan (24) and Shump (24). That's a pretty encouraging foursome for the next decade.

When LeBron begins to inevitably slip, all of those guys will be in or approaching their prime years. It's a great situation if they can hold it together.

Like I said, Batum always seemed like a bit of a pipedream to me, even though I badly wanted it to happen. He would have been a perfect fit.

I'm thinking Wilson Chandler or Danilo Gallinari would be best case scenarios with that Haywood contract now. A little more realistic than Batum, imo.
    I don't think it was a pipe dream...the player in question just got moved. I'm just surprised that Charlotte would give up that much, but I knew Batum was on the block with or without LMA...just made too much sense.

Chandler would be nice. Don't think Danilo works as well on this team.

LeBron and kyrie will stay so how is that make or break?

The Dwyane Wade weirdness continues. Listen, I don't think he is coming to Cleveland. Riley would never trade him here, so he'd literally have to take like a $3 million contract if he wants to play for the Cavs. Unless he really wants to stick it to Riley and their relationship has deteriorated that much, it ain't happening.

But, the weirdness is definitely still happening. Today, a Cavs fan tweeted a photoshopped picture of Wade in a Cavs jersey and he immediately followed the guy.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/0...eveland-jersey

Using the Cavs as leverage, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    The Dwyane Wade weirdness continues. Listen, I don't think he is coming to Cleveland. Riley would never trade him here, so he'd literally have to take like a $3 million contract if he wants to play for the Cavs. Unless he really wants to stick it to Riley and their relationship has deteriorated that much, it ain't happening.

But, the weirdness is definitely still happening. Today, a Cavs fan tweeted a photoshopped picture of Wade in a Cavs jersey and he immediately followed the guy.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/0...eveland-jersey

Using the Cavs as leverage, perhaps?
    i think that wade is trolling the heat. LeBron and wade probably laugh about it. I would do this too in every free agency unless i was on a team like the spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    i think that wade is trolling the heat. LeBron and wade probably laugh about it. I would do this too in every free agency unless i was on a team like the spurs.
    Very possible.

I do think these guys get a kick out of all the attention and just put stuff out there to f#ck around. For example, minutes after he opted out of his contract, Kevin Love tweeted out "#mood" with a picture of a young Larry David.

Like, wtf was that?