Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Monta will be a FA

They aren't trading him anywhere.

Good luck Dallas.

One less competitor in the SW division.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Default Re: Monta will be a FA

Monta isn't that good/valuable. If anything, Dallas is better off without him, assuming they find a decent replacement. I think they should take a look at Wes Matthews. Better defender, more size, better shooting/spacing, etc.

I think they'd be so much better with Rondo and without Monta, than vice versa. Try to sign Rondo for dirt cheap since his stock is at an all time low.

Rondo
    Matthews
    Parsons
    Nowitzki
    Chandler?/Jordan?

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    They aren't trading him anywhere.

Good luck Dallas.

One less competitor in the SW division.
    I think they'll have a decent amount of cap space (30 million?) but no one is going to sign there I don't think.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge
    Monta isn't that good/valuable. If anything, Dallas is better off without him, assuming they find a decent replacement. I think they should take a look at Wes Matthews. Better defender, more size, better shooting/spacing, etc.

I think they'd be so much better with Rondo and without Monta, than vice versa. Try to sign Rondo for dirt cheap since his stock is at an all time low.

Rondo
    Matthews
    Parsons
    Nowitzki
    Chandler?/Jordan?
    Rondo isn't coming back.

Ellis got screwed here. The Parsons and Rondo signing made it all a terrible fit for him. If Dallas had not ****ed up with the Parsons signing and had gone after players we actually needed like Ariza and Avery Bradley/IT....etc. Not only would the Mavs be in a great place and had a much better season, but Ellis would have been able to thrive.

So typical for Cuban/Nellie...make a great move like the Calderon trade...and then follow it up with the terrible Parsons signing...which forced the Rondo trade....which now forces the Ellis situation.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Rondo isn't coming back.

Ellis got screwed here. The Parsons and Rondo signing made it all a terrible fit for him. If Dallas had not ****ed up with the Parsons signing and had gone after players we actually needed like Ariza and Avery Bradley/IT....etc. Not only would the Mavs be in a great place and had a much better season, but Ellis would have been able to thrive.

So typical for Cuban/Nellie...make a great move like the Calderon trade...and then follow it up with the terrible Parsons signing...which forced the Rondo trade....which now forces the Ellis situation.

You said everything I was going to say.

Good college starter

Rondo isn't coming back.

What is the end game for Mavs at this point? Are they gonna roll hard and ride Nowitzki at the tail end of his career or they gonna shutdown and do a fresh start?

You said everything I was going to say.
    So upset with the Mavs right now. I don't really care that Ellis is leaving...just so pathetic we made that Parsons signing.

Could have had Ariza, IT, and another player for the price of Parsons.

Right now...all the Mavs have on the books is Dirk, Parsons, Felton, and Harris. It's a ****ing joke. The only reason it's not the worst thing ever is because Dirk signed for roughly 1/3 of what he could have elsewhere.

Now, we could still make some great signings and moves, but Cuban/Nellie ****ed us so bad last summer with the Parsons signing. Just so god damn stupid to sign Parsons to a team in which you need a tough defensive minded 3 and D guy that doesn't need the ball to be impactful.

You don't put Parsons around Ellis/Dirk...you put guys like Ariza/Tyson/Avery Bradley/Aminu...etc. Obvious then and obvious now.

Now we have to figure out a way to get rock solid defensive players at every position. Aminu/Tyson are nice, but no guarantee we keep them. Hearing Danny Green might be a target...that would be great.

But we have to get two backup bigs...and a starting point guard as well.

Just so much to add...we need a starting pg, starting sg, backup sg, set at sf assuming Aminu is back, backup pf, backup c (assuming tyson is back)

I wonder if some team would allow us to dump Felton on them. Maybe the sixers for cash considerations and a future 2nd rounder or something. Getting him off the books would be nice, but then again, if we don't get good players...having Felton as the 8th or 9th man might actually be the better option.

Hopefully Cuban/Nellie surprise us, but they royally ****ed up last year with Parsons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    What is the end game for Mavs at this point? Are they gonna roll hard and ride Nowitzki at the tail end of his career or they gonna shutdown and do a fresh start?
    They are going to try and put as good a team out there as possible until there is no reason to do so.

They had their chance last summer to build a contender. I said all along...even emailed Cuban....to go after Ariza and IT or Avery Bradley instead of trying to make a big splash.

That Calderon trade was amazing....and to follow it up with Parons was ****ing brutal.

Also, what people don't realize, is that the Wright/Crowder trade would still have happened most likely under my scenario, but it just wouldn't have been for Rondo. It would have been for something else...like another big or something this team actually would need.

End game? Unless they pull a rabbit in the coming months...it's fight for (and lose) the battle to make the playoffs in the brutal West for the next couple years. Then blow it up and start over when Dirk is done. Because Dirk isn't playing past the next two years if we can't even make the playoffs.

Sick...just so sick that these guys have done such a terrible job building around Dirk since 2003. Disgustingly bad.

So upset with the Mavs right now. I don't really care that Ellis is leaving...just so pathetic we made that Parsons signing.

Could have had Ariza, IT, and another player for the price of Parsons.

Right now...all the Mavs have on the books is Dirk, Parsons, Felton, and Harris. It's a ****ing joke. The only reason it's not the worst thing ever is because Dirk signed for roughly 1/3 of what he could have elsewhere.

Now, we could still make some great signings and moves, but Cuban/Nellie ****ed us so bad last summer with the Parsons signing. Just so god damn stupid to sign Parsons to a team in which you need a tough defensive minded 3 and D guy that doesn't need the ball to be impactful.

You don't put Parsons around Ellis/Dirk...you put guys like Ariza/Tyson/Avery Bradley/Aminu...etc. Obvious then and obvious now.

Now we have to figure out a way to get rock solid defensive players at every position. Aminu/Tyson are nice, but no guarantee we keep them. Hearing Danny Green might be a target...that would be great.

But we have to get two backup bigs...and a starting point guard as well.

Just so much to add...we need a starting pg, starting sg, backup sg, set at sf assuming Aminu is back, backup pf, backup c (assuming tyson is back)

I wonder if some team would allow us to dump Felton on them. Maybe the sixers for cash considerations and a future 2nd rounder or something. Getting him off the books would be nice, but then again, if we don't get good players...having Felton as the 8th or 9th man might actually be the better option.

Hopefully Cuban/Nellie surprise us, but they royally ****ed up last year with Parsons.
    In one of his first interviews after Houston elected not to match the Mavericks' offer sheet to Parsons, Morey told SportsTalk 790 AM in Houston: "That structure of that [contract] is literally one of the most untradeable structures that I've ever seen."

The wrinkle that made it so: Parsons signed a tricky three-year deal with the Mavs, with an option to return to free agency after Year 2, as opposed to the four-year offer sheet Dallas, or any other external suitor, could have lavished on him.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...ouston-rockets

Interesting read.

I was upset that Parsons was let go. He was one of my favorite players on the team, but he was able to cash in on the fact that he was a 3rd option and more or less had a green light anytime he wanted (except when Harden wanted, of course).

Morey has done a fantastic job of finding pieces that compliment Harden and Howard.

On the plus side though... After next season the Mavs will have a clean slate. Parsons obviously, Dirk, and Harris will be all that's left. They need to start thinking about the future.

It may end up being a rough next few years if Dallas doesnt land some talent in FA.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...ouston-rockets

Interesting read.

I was upset that Parsons was let go. He was one of my favorite players on the team, but he was able to cash in on the fact that he was a 3rd option and more or less had a green light anytime he wanted (except when Harden wanted, of course).

Morey has done a fantastic job of finding pieces that compliment Harden and Howard.

On the plus side though... After next season the Mavs will have a clean slate. Parsons obviously, Dirk, and Harris will be all that's left.
    They need to start thinking about the future.

It may end up being a rough next few years if Dallas doesnt land some talent in FA.
    I don't follow the bold.

Are you talking about this summer or next?

Because right now all we have left is Parsons, Dirk, Harris, and Felton. That's it.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

I'm not sure why a Mav fan would be upset with this move. It is a great move for Dallas. Monta Ellis was **always** going to be a rental. He was never in their longe range plans. Nor should he have been. Now they can sign and trade him.
    Last edited by Locked_Up_Tonight; 06-24-2015 at 02:27 PM.

I don't follow the bold.

Are you talking about this summer or next?

Because right now all we have left is Parsons, Dirk, Harris, and Felton. That's it.
    Haha you're right.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/DAL.html

Wow, I didn't know it came up that quick. Hate to say it man, but it looks like the Mavs are done until the Dirk era ends. Even a big FA signing wouldn't get you into the playoffs without Monta, and even then, there's no chance of winning it.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

3 year MLE type deal for a role as a 6th man?

Quote Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
    I'm not sure why a Mav fan would be upset with this move. It is a great move for Dallas. Monta Ellis was **always** going to be a rental. He was never in their longe range plans. Nor should he have been. Now they can sign and trade him.
    This move is fine.

I'm talking about what led to this move. Ellis was a good fit here and a great fit with Dirk.

The Mavs just did a shitty job building around them with Parsons.

This move now? Yea, it's better. Danny Green would be a better fit on this roster and we might be able to move Felton in the process if some larger deal with a sign and trade with Ellis.

We'll see though...it also could be a disaster as we basically don't have a team yet again.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

Nothing led to this move. If you honestly believe that Monta was going to opt in then you are nuts. He wants to get PAID! No way to do that for settling about 8 mil for one more year.