Default Should the warriors start doubling Lebron?

I don't mean doubling him every possession, but doubling him for a certain period of time.
    It could speed the pace of the game.
    That would be good for them.
    Lebron isos for 24 seconds is really slowing down the pace and that hurts gsw offense. At this point, they really need some transition points.

I rule the local playground nnn123's Avatar

Default Re: Should the warriors start doubling Lebron?

I honestly think this is their best bet.

I don't want to be one of those guys saying the Warriors defensive gameplan was 'stupid', because hindsight is 20/20. But at the same time, when something clearly ain't working, you've got to adjust. LeBron holding the ball for 16-17 seconds is taking the Warriors out of the pace they want to play with, which is their biggest weapon. Why not take the ball out of LeBron's hands and let someone else do some damage - esp. when Love and Kyrie are out? LeBron's supporting cast might get some more points/rhythm but it'll speed up the game.

Not to mention that this "let X player get his and guard everyone else" strategy historically only works when the matchup in question is not a huge mismatch to begin with. Letting old Shaq go one on one vs Ben Wallace in 04 may have worked cause Wallace could play D, and Shaq was older. The Warriors' SFs clearly cannot guard LeBron at all. It's a mismatch that the Cavs are exploiting all night long. Good game, good effort, but time to try something new.

They need to mix it up. Keep Lebron guessing.

It's funny, after Game 1, I said that what they were doing wasnt working and everyone said they got the W so it was.

The Warriors should be blowing the Cavs out. If Game 1 hinges on two bricks by Lebron and Shumpert and an overtime win, the strategy isnt working.

High School Varsity 6th Man

As a lebron fan....that is the stupidest thing to do(maybe mix it in a few times if needed).
    Lebron isnt being very efficient because he is forced to create all the offense and go 1 on 3 when you count the help and paint defense. If you double him he will KILL you with his passing. More open shots for jones, delly, iman, and Jr(who hasnt even caught fire one game and you dont want him to).

Gsw couldve been up 3-0 atm if they started those runs earlier; but cavs could also be up 3-0 rn with kyrie maybe even if OT didnt happen in game 1.

You only double him if tempo is too slow for too long and you are down and want to try to pick it up but beware the consequences of open 3s. The only reason to do this is to try and force the ball on the ground b/c they dont have many playmakers left, but if they get open shots then its ballgame.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

No they're fine. Just need to hit their open jumpers at a passable clip for nba standards. Games are very low scoring, GS's issue isn't their D. And they get good looks, they just miss and that deflates their energy and snowballs.

I'd mix it up, just to throw LeBron a wrinkle or two.

Mostly, GSW need to hit their open shots, it's not just the Cavs D, they are getting some good looks but just bricking them. They might not be ready for prime time, which considering their overall youth, shouldn't be that shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by livinglegend
    I don't mean doubling him every possession, but doubling him for a certain period of time.
    It could speed the pace of the game.
    That would be good for them.
    Lebron isos for 24 seconds is really slowing down the pace and that hurts gsw offense. At this point, they really need some transition points.
    Absolutely. They need to show different looks and can't just let him operate on iso and milk the clock and turn the game into a stand still. They need to try to force the action and speed up the game. Right now, Clev is dictating the tempo.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Absolutely. They need to show different looks and can't just let him operate on iso and milk the clock and turn the game into a stand still. They need to try to force the action and speed up the game. Right now, Clev is dictating the tempo.
    Lebron and shumpert always get back in transition.