Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Default Re: BREAKING: Steph Curry named MVP

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    If you replaced Curry with George Hill, they still win 60.

If you replaced Harden with anyone but maybe Westbrook and Durant, they don't win 56. Lebron had more talent around him in Cleveland considering Dwight and Bev and Jones and DMo missed 100 games.

Curry won because the MVP = best player on the best team. I have no problem with that, but at least change the name to 'best player on the best team' because he's not the MVP. Harden or Davis deserve that.
    Howard and Smith were the MVPs against the Mavs. Just stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    Is George Hill gonna be breaking down defenses to open up his teammates? Is he gonna be guarded 2 steps from the half court line, opening up the whole court for the rest of the team? Is he gonna make scorers out of Barnes and Draymond Green?

I don't think people realize just how important Stephen Curry is to the GS offense because they see a smooth seamless machine without realizing that Curry is the engine that makes that machine run. Remove him, and you're left with last year's Chicago Bulls. They won't have any reliable scorer aside from Klay Thompson. And I don't believe any team with Klay as the top go-to guy is winning shit.
    Purely you talking out of your ass. Harrison Barnes isn't a reliable scorer?

Yes, I think if you put Hill in Curry's place, the Warriors still win 60+ games.

The teams defense wouldn't miss a beat, their ball movement wouldn't miss a beat (they all pass well) and their shooting would be similar (Hill is shooting 48% from the floor and 40% from deep). Obviously Curry's penetrating ability would be missed, but other than that... What else?

Curry is much more replaceable than Harden. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Still, Curry got the MVP, as he should have, based on ' best player on best team' voting. I don't have a problem with that. But don't call it MVP because that's not what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by StephHamann
    Howard and Smith were the MVPs against the Mavs. Just stop it.

Go on...

If you replaced Harden with anyone but maybe Westbrook and Durant, they don't win 56. Lebron had more talent around him in Cleveland considering Dwight and Bev and Jones and DMo missed 100 games.

Curry won because the MVP = best player on the best team. I have no problem with that, but at least change the name to 'best player on the best team' because he's not the MVP. Harden or Davis deserve that.

What a load of bullshit

Both were deserving candidates and could've gone either way.

NBA.com/Stats ‏@nbastats 21s22 seconds ago
    .@Warriors outscored teams by 17.0 PTS Per 100 Possessions w/ Curry on the floor - the top OnCourt NetRating of any player this season

Banned

Some Curry stan claimed that he put up the greatest +/- in league history. Anyone have a link to that? I said that his BPM/RAPM was not historically good and was told that he was referring to +/-, not BPM/RAPM. Anyone know which stat he could be referring to? I thought that BPM was standard +/-.

shhhhhhh

Voting not even close in the end...

I don't get how LeBron would even get 5 1st place votes. Nobody else should have got any 1st place votes outside of Curry and Harden.

I was expecting a more closer race than 100 to 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    I don't get how LeBron would even get 5 1st place votes. Nobody else should have got any 1st place votes outside of Curry and Harden.

I was expecting a more closer race than 100 to 25.
    Are you really sweating the fact that Lebron got votes even though Curry won in a landslide?

College star

but who will the players give the mvp to?

Quote Originally Posted by lilteapot
    Are you really sweating the fact that Lebron got votes even though Curry won in a landslide?
    I'm not sweating, it's just a nitpick.

It's like when Kobe got a 1st place vote for the 2011 MVP or Melo getting a 1st place vote for 2013 MVP. Don't see what's the point.

College superstar

The MVP criteria really needs to be explained.

Curry was, hands-down, the MVP for the league.
    Harden was, in my opinion, the MVP of his particular team.
    The distinction being that Curry generated more positive excitement about the league than anyone else, while Harden added more to his team (did-most-with-least sort of hypothetical comparison) than anyone else.

That said, the fact that literally every person I've ever met or talked to or seen post about basketball uses MVPs as a way to measure a player's All-Time ranking, including those that vote for said MVP, shows that an MVP award has "real" historical "meaning".

A hundred years from now, when no one that has seen Curry play is alive, he will be viewed, in some respects, as good as Kobe and Shaq, and worse than Nash. That's a travesty.

The whole system needs an overhaul.

Every year, including going back to the start of the NBA, since people that witnessed that time are still alive, the NBA should nominate...
    MVP - with clearly defined criteria. Will likely (though mistakenly) take in to account team record
    Best Player - I view this as "MVP if we didn't know records". But it can be viewed in different ways. Again, the criteria should be made public.
    Best Offensive Player - Obvious and, as always, criteria made public
    Best Defensive Player - Same

These four "awards" give a much better historical snapshot of both a player that wins, and that particular NBA season.
    This year?
    MVP - Curry
    Best - Lebron
    Offensive - Curry
    Defensive - Leonard
    Last edited by kshutts1; 05-04-2015 at 12:33 PM.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    How did the criteria change?

MVP is the biggest individual award in basketball. Just because you want to make it not seem that way, doesn't mean it is.
    best team's best player (2015)

narrative of one guy carrying scrubs/injuries (2001, 2011)

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    How did the criteria change?

MVP is the biggest individual award in basketball. Just because you want to make it not seem that way, doesn't mean it is.
    It hasn't really changed...Criteria has been consistent for the last 30 years

Best player on one of the best teams, been that way forever