Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Manu appreciation thread one of the best SGs ever

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    He could have gone to some other team and get paid majorly as a #1 option. You can argue if his body would have held up, but athletes don't think like that. You can't play with the thought of getting injured if you hit some arbitrary number of minutes over the course of the 4 or 5 year contract length. And certainly more money almost always comes to play. Respect for staying loyal to his team and it obviously paid off both ways.

Additionally, I always thought starting was overrated. What's the difference if you come in at the 8 minute mark and play 36 mpg vs starting and playing 36 mpg? It's about when you play and chances are if you are playing that many minutes, you are in the game when it matters most. Ginobili seemed to understand that concept, so nice to see an allstar talent not bitch about something so irrelevant for once.

And finally, Ginobili has some traits that normally piss me off on other players. He's an all time level flopper on both ends and he would really take stupid chances when his team didn't need him to. Both as a passer and a shooter. But like Brett Favre, who I think he's analogous to as an athlete, he was inexplicably entertaining to watch and extremely likeable, even with those two traits being fundamental to his game. He just has that animal magnetism.

Needless to say, I'm a fan. Happy he got to atone for his **** up in 2013 and took advantage of the opportunity the subsequent season.
    I agree! No doubt Manu was number one option scoring material on another team. He had the tools AND mentality to do so. But as u stated, who knows how his body would have held up. He only played more than 30 minutes per game twice in his career. Even though he came off the bench often, I still think that's a telling statement on his durability.

Pop had a handle on that early and used Manu perfectly! Anybody who knows basketball well knows Manu was a beast. If a more durable Manu HAD to be the alpha on another team, he had 25 point-6-7 assists-5-6 rebound ability.

The player James Harden reminds me of the most in MANY WAYS is Manu. And u see that's he's an MVP candidate. I think a more durable Manu could have done the same or close as the man on another team. AND also provide better defense than Harden.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    True

Ironic each Spurs team had a different best player

99- Robinson

03- Duncan

05- Manu

07- Parker

14- Kawhi

And ppl wanna act like it was all Duncan

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

[COLOR="Red"]Here's where Manu ranked with his peers compared to 1990 SG's:
    [/COLOR]

[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR]Shooting Guards with 15.0 or Greater PER

[COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR]2006[COLOR="White"]...............................[/COLOR]1990

Kobe Bryant.................... Michael Jordan
    Dwayne Wade................. Clyde Drexler
    [COLOR="Red"]Manu Ginobili[/COLOR]................ Joe Dumars
    Ray Allen........................ Reggie Miller
    Vince Carter.................... Mitch Richmond
    Michael Redd................... Ronaldo Blackmon
    Richard Hamilton............. Alvin Robertson
    Joe Johnson.................... Dale Ellis
    Jason Richardson............. Ron Harper
    Bonzi Wells..................... Fat Lever
    Jamal Crawford............... Jeff Hornacek
    Mike Miller...................... Hersey Hawkiins
    Morris Peterson............... Ricky Pierce
    Leandro Barbosa.............. Jeff Malone

The superiority of the 1990 players shows that strong, 2-way ability and diverse, mid-range repertoire > 3-and-D.. Obviously, as 3-point shooting has increasingly replaced 2-point shooting, fewer players have needed diverse, 2-point repertoires, so fewer have them.

But not having diverse 2-point repertoires makes today's players worse players because pull-up and turnaround 2-pointers are the shots the defense cannot prevent or stop - a defense can cut-off penetration, but mid-range shots aren't trying to penetrate.. A defense can contest hard to plummet the accuracy of a 3-pointer, but a good mid-range shooter is immune to this..

The inevitable nature of mid-range shot attempts is why mid-range shots give a team the best chance to get off a shot against dialed-in defenses.. Naturally, the greatest and most dominant players of all time were all great post and/or mid-range players - every single one.. Their mid-range and post ability gave them their unstoppable, inevitable quality.
    Last edited by 3ball; 05-04-2015 at 01:53 PM.