Banned

Default Most overrated NBA coaches

Coaching is a category where the majority opinion is almost entirely based on reputation and the popular opinion. Very few people actually analyze the performance of coaches. Instead they compare X wins to Y roster as well as reputation. As a result, many coaches get very overrated.

1. Jeff Hornacek- Complete garbage. Shit tier coach that got flat out EXPOSED this season. Worst in game decision making coach in the league and isn't head coach material. His demeanor would work as an assistant but as a head coach it just doesn't work. He completely lost the team this year and players don't respect him. Even got cussed out by one of his own players on national TV. Should be fired, but probably won't be for at least another year.

2. Doc Rivers-Not a bad coach at all, which is why he is behind Hornacek who is a legitimately awful coach. However, he is not a top 5 coach in the league like his reputation would suggest. It really is not that impressive to win a championship with Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo, and Tom Thibodeau. Any team with Garnett and Thibs would win a championship off defense alone as long as the supporting cast is good. Doc has proven nothing else.

3. Erik Spoelstra- ESPN ranked him as a top 10 coach in the league this year. The same guy that somehow found a way to make lineups of Dragic/Wade/Deng/Walker/Whiteside and Chalmers/Wade/Deng/Bosh/Whiteside look like mediocre shit on both sides of the court, especially offense.

Default Re: Most overrated NBA coaches

Erik's a great up and coming coach with a lot of success under his belt already. He's being trained by pat riley for gods sake.

Rivers sucks, he doesn't really seem to know basketball at all.
    Hornacek sucks.

I always hated mark jackson, such a shitty coach, another one of those that don't know anything aboout bball

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    Erik's a great up and coming coach with a lot of success under his belt already. He's being trained by pat riley for gods sake.

Hornacek sucks.

I always hated mark jackson, such a shitty coach, another one of those that don't know anything aboout bball
    How is he an up and coming coach? You act like this is his 2nd season or something.

Mark Jackson would have been 2 or 3 if he was still coaching. Overrated coach and a shitty human.

rank sentamentalist

unquestionably kerr belongs right at the top of the list. and its not his fault, its the simple minded media that sees a surreal record and bows down to the man in charge. i'm so happy budenholzer got the nod.

this isn't to say kerr is a bad coach. nor is it to say he won't be a great coach... in like five years. but coaching has a pretty steep learning curve imo. you gotta learn on the fly how to take charge and manage your team and your system effectively without micromanaging, how to cater to your players without killing your own authority. difficult balance to strike.

he is a first year coach. if he was thrown into denver or new york, nobody would give a rats ass. and i'd put money on fisher or shaw doing just as well with this warriors squad.

still he should be given credit for not fking it up. he took a hands off approach, delegated to his assistants as he should have, and the results have been impressive. so hats off to kerr. but he ain't close to coty.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol

Hornacek sucks.

I wonder why

He's an average coach.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
    I wonder why

He's an average coach.

Below average. There is a reason why a team with Wade, Deng, Whiteside, 2/3 Bosh, 1/3 Dragic couldn't make the playoffs in a pitiful conference.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    unquestionably kerr belongs right at the top of the list. and its not his fault, its the simple minded media that sees a surreal record and bows down to the man in charge. i'm so happy budenholzer got the nod.

this isn't to say kerr is a bad coach. nor is it to say he won't be a great coach... in like five years. but coaching has a pretty steep learning curve imo. you gotta learn on the fly how to take charge and manage your team and your system effectively without micromanaging, how to cater to your players without killing your own authority. difficult balance to strike.

he is a first year coach. if he was thrown into denver or new york, nobody would give a rats ass. and i'd put money on fisher or shaw doing just as well with this warriors squad.

still he should be given credit for not fking it up. he took a hands off approach, delegated to his assistants as he should have, and the results have been impressive. so hats off to kerr. but he ain't close to coty.
    I seriously doubt that.

Kerr's success with the Warriors has been due to his willingness to defer to his assistant coaches, his eagerness to learn, and his attitude towards his players/staff that has gotten him there.

Read up on him. From everything I've read, he knows his own limits in a very real way. He will listen/defer to his staff when they're better at it than him. He'll try to learn something new each day, or try something new each day and when it doesn't work, he'll learn from it.

His personality really meshes with the team as well.
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...on-steve-kerr/
    He seems really laid back and reasonable. My favorite part about the article is what Draymond has to say about him: "Draymond Green noted on Tuesday that he can have loud arguments with Kerr in a way he couldn

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lensanity
    Below average. There is a reason why a team with Wade, Deng, Whiteside, 2/3 Bosh, 1/3 Dragic couldn't make the playoffs in a pitiful conference.
    He'll be fired at the end of next season

   

[QUOTE=scm5]I seriously doubt that.

Kerr's success with the Warriors has been due to his willingness to defer to his assistant coaches, his eagerness to learn, and his attitude towards his players/staff that has gotten him there.

Read up on him. From everything I've read, he knows his own limits in a very real way. He will listen/defer to his staff when they're better at it than him. He'll try to learn something new each day, or try something new each day and when it doesn't work, he'll learn from it.

His personality really meshes with the team as well.
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...on-steve-kerr/
    He seems really laid back and reasonable. My favorite part about the article is what Draymond has to say about him: "Draymond Green noted on Tuesday that he can have loud arguments with Kerr in a way he couldn

Spo isn't overrated. Everyone knows he is the worst coach in the league.

EDIT: You know you're a shit coach that even when you're in the middle of winning a title, and have just won a title the previous year, you're still being called a shit coach.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Spo isn't overrated. Everyone knows he is the worst coach in the league.

EDIT: You know you're a shit coach that even when you're in the middle of winning a title, and have just won a title the previous year, you're still being called a shit coach.
    Spo isn't the worst coach in the league

Give me Spo over Hornacek any day of the week

Rick Carlisle tops the list for me.

But yeah, Doc is up there.

   

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    Rick Carlisle tops the list for me.

But yeah, Doc is up there.
    from pretty much everything i've read about the guy, carlisle is a well-respected coach and pretty much deserves every bit of it.

how you would get the opposite impression must be a pretty interesting story.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    Glad you don't handle my money.