Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kobe's impact

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Kobe's impact

Kobes impact is dominant, and abrasive.. in your face and alpha.

Magic is a mix of dominant and in the flow.. like 30/70.

Bran and shaq are pure in the flow.. if a takeover is necessary a choke is almost certain.

Winning > everything.

Quote Originally Posted by game3524
    Bullshit.

The only reason why Kobe doesn't "feel like a genuine top 10 player" to some is because of his abrasive attitude. Tim Legler was right if Kobe had the personality of a Duncan, no one would be questioning whether or not he is a top ten player.
    You're going to dismiss what I said and come up with that explanation? Kobe being such a popular player. You get out of ISH, you will see countless people saying he's number one top, the GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols

Bran and shaq are pure in the flow.. if a takeover is necessary a choke is almost certain.

Winning > everything.
    dat kobe stan.. dat dude right there.. dat tpols

"dominant and abrasive".... "in your face and ALPHA FTW BRO"

dominant > in the flow

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

How does one quantify impact when it comes to top 10 players?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    dat kobe stan.. dat dude right there.. dat tpols

"dominant and abrasive".... "in your face and ALPHA FTW BRO"

dominant > in the flow
    Yes.

I'm glad we are in agreement broseph

Next up is Kobie Irving. He is the heir to the throne. The next GOAT.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    How does one quantify impact when it comes to top 10 players?

opinion... That's it all up for debate if that's your cup of tea

after enough years here I realized it's a wasted argument because most people here base their opinions on who they're debating with or emotions and box scores while not actually knowing the game or seeing the players themselves in action...

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Kobe's impact is so underrated

he took Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom as his 2nd and 3rd best players and made 3 straight finals

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    opinion... That's it all up for debate if that's your cup of tea

after enough years here I realized it's a wasted argument because most people here base their opinions on who they're debating with or emotions and box scores while not actually knowing the game or seeing the players themselves in action...
    this exactly..

Another thing is people hold shit against Kobe that they wouldn't for ANY OTHER PLAYER.

How many times do we hear about Kobe having "Pau" as if Parrish, McCHale, Kareem and Worthy were never existed.

I've literally seen people on ISH justify Bird<Kobe to me with this gem

"Kobe had Pau/Odom and only has 2 FMVPs, so Bird>Kobe"

guy was dead ass serious

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Hold this W

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Kobe's impact is so underrated

he took Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom as his 2nd and 3rd best players and made 3 straight finals
    you guys continue to ignore the 2008-2010 comp

This is a Superstar's league... besides the 2004 Pistons or 2014 Spurs, top 5 players win.

Look at the top 5, none of LBJ/Dirk/Paul/Howard were in an actual contending state... the one threat he had beat him once, was out the other and lost in a controversial game 7.

Meh. I don't buy it. His impact is less than that of Jordan, Shaq, Wilt, Magic, etc... and he's ranked below those guys. I think his impact is pretty much in line with his consensus ranking.

Kobe was a monster. He and Michael Jordan really were two of a kind - Kobe being the lesser of the two (not a knock; MJ = GOAT) - but really for as similar as those two guys played the game, there really has never been a third much like them, and probably never will again.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols

Winning > everything.
    This is just nonsense. I have personally watched both LeBron and Shaq take over countless games.

I think this rhetoric stems from Kobe's shot selection. Even when he was shooting poorly, his presence was still felt heavily by anyone watching him because he always had a tendency to force his shots anyway.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Kobe is not top 10 so...

Very good NBA starter

Kobe went to three straight Finals and won back-to-back titles with a 2nd-tier star in Pau and a bunch of role-players, and that was at the end tail-end of his prime. And he was playing in the West. He didn't have the benefit of playing in a historically weak conference like some other guys...

The only players in history that were more impactful over their careers are Jordan/Kareem/Wilt/Russ/Magic/LeBron/Hakeem/Shaq. Everybody else is at least arguable.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    Kobe went to three straight Finals and won back-to-back titles with a 2nd-tier star in Pau and a bunch of role-players, and that was at the end tail-end of his prime. And he was playing in the West. He didn't have the benefit of playing in a historically weak conference like some other guys...

The only players in history that were more impactful over their careers are Jordan/Kareem/Wilt/Russ/Magic/LeBron/Hakeem/Shaq. Everybody else is at least arguable.

Kobe is only a first tier star in hype and salary. He's a second tier star in impact. He's no different than Barkley or Dirk or Wade.

First tier star by impact is MJ, Shaq, Duncan, Lebron. These dudes dominate the court in every part of the game. They play defense and take charges. They set up teammates. They put up far more high efficiency scoring games.

Kobe was a guy who takes flashy shots in a big market with a deep pocketed owner. Those Laker teams won as teams, and the idiot crowd of beta hero-worshippers made Kobe their king. They achieved their esteem and validation and purpose in life through him. Thats great. Good for them. But objectively speaking from an intelligent perspective, which is hard for most people, kobe the player was not nearly the impact-maker as those who support Kobe the legend purport him to have been. Dudes teams won roughly the same when he didnt play and had more success when he didnt shoot.

And I like the guy off the court. But a perfect storm of circumstances have made him literally the most overrated player of all time. And it isnt even remotely close.