Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: What Do You Hate The Most About The NBA Game Today?

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Flopping is a tough one.

I'm all for it in terms of showing the ref contact where there was contact, and allowing the player to over-act a little. Because they really don't call some clear offensive fouls unless you jerk back and flop a little at times.
    But the faking hits and injuries out of complete nothing is what I am against.
    I dunno, I don't think they should exaggerate contact at all. I mean, if you didn't get bumped hard enough for it to have any impact on the play, then it shouldn't be called enough anyway. I mean, take the contact. Now if you're not paying attention and you get bumped, it would be pretty obvious and the ref calls those usually. But its like guys are programmed to over exaggerate everything because the refs reward it. If refs stopped rewarding and dudes were just looking silly laying on the ground crying for a foul while their team is outmatched 4-5, players would stop doing it. And if players continue to do it, the coach should bench them.

I just don't understand why they flopped. I've played ball most of my life like many of us and I never thought to flop. It doesn't come to mind, you're on the playground, you're playing hard, but you're just playing. There's no refs, there's no reward for flopping. Plus you'd get clowned/no respect from the other players...

Weak big men and therefore no beautiful post game.

You have Hibbert who is a 2x All-Star. In the 80s or 90s, this guy would be warming up the bench.

Local High School Star

ticky tack fouls. the reason their flopping is because everything is a foul.
    Last edited by thefatmiral; 04-21-2015 at 12:39 PM.

Flopping. Lack of mid-range game. No teams built around big men (still got the Grizz tho). Bitching to refs. Too many stars trying to brand themselves and build an image, rather than improve their game and just play basketball.

Most of them already mentioned. Not that these are all new, but they're getting worse of late it seems.

Very good NBA starter

I kind of agree with three's too. I made a thread maybe around a year ago discussing the exponential rise in three pointers over the last 20 years (from both players and teams). I think the Timberwolves version of KLove inspired it - dude took a ton of threes. And I think there's a big difference with the 3's a team like the Spurs takes, where they pass the ball around to generally get the best shot from their lineup (happens to be a three some times) and a team like last seasons Rockets, which kind of indiscriminately shoot threes at a more rapid rate to win ball games. Jump shooting teams, but not even midrange. Also, I miss elite big men and post ups, and the ticky tack fouls can be a bit much

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by choppermagic
    I disagree with that notion that you do anything you can get away with to win. It's still a game and sport. Players should respect the game, the fans, and sportmanship. Finding ways to cheat is not cool.
    yea but when you play in a league that is as competitive and as high of caliber as the NBA, and there is millions of dollars on the line, you need to have that win by all means mentality, if you want to have a career in competitive sports you NEED to have that mentality, this isnt just for the NBA this is for all professional sports.

Alot of these players wouldnt be in the league or wouldnt be as good if they didnt have that mentality
    Last edited by Big Cheese; 04-21-2015 at 12:51 PM.

College superstar VengefulAngel's Avatar

What I describe as the Jamal Crawford Syndrome and to a lesser extent Steph Curry.

Falling over after shooting a 3 feigning contact when someone tries to contest a shot. The hilarious thing is the refs actually fall for this shit.

This might sound stupid, but nothing bothers me more than seeing players mouth guards hanging out their mouths. Shit looks trifee!

They need to sensor their face when they do that shit.

Saw a basketball once

Lack of great back to the basket post up bigs. To me, there is a certain beauty watching players score by posting with their back to the basket. When perimeter players post up, teams only use it to exploit size advantage. Whereas great post up bigs are fine doing it against anyone. I guess I'm just tired of watching almost every team only offense is player X driving to the basket from above the three point line.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit
    This might sound stupid, but nothing bothers me more than seeing players mouth guards hanging out their mouths. Shit looks trifee!

They need to sensor their face when they do that shit.
    Couldn't agree more, bud.

Douchebag level 100 right there.

Death of the big men.

1) The game is way too soft.
    2) No emotion is allowed

Both are a result of the rules and not the player's faults. But when you take away physicality and the ability to show emotion, you take away two fundamental aspects of the game.

The sudden non existance of handchecking and illegal defense (zone defense is allowed today afterall)......

Zone defense turned the NBA into college ball with all that team defense & team offense and jumper settling/chucking, the rare times the zone defense is initiated today is always/only against specific star player to specifically bottleneck the superstar scorer (ie. Lebron, Durant)... a star cant control the game like he used to, he has to play against 5 guys, i simply liked when you had to guard your man straight up and go up against one guy straight up... one mans offense against one mans defense....

Guess what im trying to say bring back the NBA as it always was before 00s.... which includes the trashtalking, player emotion, etc...

Dont "fix" what aint broken...

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    Too many threes
    For once I agree with kenneth.

If I'm a coach I'm pushing the 3 to the death, but I don't like how widespread it's become (though I obviously get it).

Ice was right. Klay's quarter record is a different record to the one he set. The buckets he was making, post moves, navigation efficiency, they are all so creative and entertaining imo.

But smart defensive principles and team play is being pushed now more than ever, which massively outweighs the negative effects of too many threes.

Also, flopping is a result of the rules. If the league wasn't so strict on calling everything, the players would have no incentive to flop. But since they know the refs call everything, the players have an incentive to flop.

Some of the rules today are a joke and we are getting a less pure form of the game. No physical contact, no emotion and lots of flopping.