Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

Default Re: ☆2015 Lakers Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Yeah, 1 and 2 are locks. The rest of the draft could go any number of ways. It seems like this year is a lot more fluid than other years.
    I think most interesting will be where Porzingis lands, I honestly could see the 76ers taking him, but then if they do that they'll probably have to flip Embiid to try and get a guard (Embiid's value for someone who missed his rookie season it wouldn't surprise me if it was still quite high given if he was in this years draft he'd be number 1 without much doubt in my mind anyway). That's what interests me mainly, the 76ers and also Detroit's pick.

Local High School Star magicmanfan's Avatar

Yeah, 1 and 2 are locks. The rest of the draft could go any number of ways. It seems like this year is a lot more fluid than other years.
    maybe your right..... I think Randle and Okafor is a better front line
    than Randle and Hill. We obviously don't resign Hill then.....

I know, we knew already, but I will post anyways

[QUOTE]The Minnesota Timberwolves have informed Karl-Anthony Towns that they will select him with the No. 1 pick in Thursday

NBA lottery pick

The Lakers could draft Russel and throw a ton of money at a guy like Greg Monroe too. Just a thought. I still think they end up with Okafur.

I must admit I find it rather funny, I didn't really think of it before, but when the Knicks were looking likely to be a top 1 or 2 pick there was so much hype about Okafor I remember last year and even until about March or so he was the clear number 1 pick (or at least him and Russell neck and neck)...as soon as it looks like the Lakers get him instead it seems there's so much more negativity, maybe just a pure coincidence but I find it funny that before there was so much hype, then when the team he's likely going to changes the problems in his game are magnified.

Probably coincidence but it seems the gap between KAT and Okafor is made as huge, though I'd slightly prefer Towns there really isn't that much of a gap as overall prospects, they are just very different with what they offer.

NBA lottery pick

The thing about the Knicks and picking 4th is they're probably going to get their choice of one of the guards they want (probably Mudiay) and then they can offer Monroe the max. That would significantly upgrade their lineup.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...-play-defense/

Though he kind of has to say those things just speaking on his interviews and also what he's said in the past and his childhood etc etc, I really do like his attitude...though I still would prefer Towns slightly, I won't be at all upset with Okafor...one of the two bigman and I'll be very happy. Though him and Randle both have to prove and better their defense.

The thing about the Knicks and picking 4th is they're probably going to get their choice of one of the guards they want (probably Mudiay) and then they can offer Monroe the max. That would significantly upgrade their lineup.
    While it's not the worst I think the Knicks were certainly hoping for that at least second pick so they could take one of the bigmen left over (at least from what I had read and heard), but going for a guard and Monroe isn't the worst, it'll be interesting to see how it works out/how they fill out the rest of their roster. You wouldn't think they could get even worse

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers91
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...-play-defense/

Though he kind of has to say those things just speaking on his interviews and also what he's said in the past and his childhood etc etc, I really do like his attitude...though I still would prefer Towns slightly, I won't be at all upset with Okafor...one of the two bigman and I'll be very happy. Though him and Randle both have to prove and better their defense.
    I'll give Okafur this, I do think he saw more double (and even triple) teams in college the Towns did. While Duke did have a very good roster it still wasn't what Kentucky had and Okafur was the one guy that other teams game planned against (also part of the reason I'm not as high on Winslow as others). Okafur still put up very good numbers for a freshman. It's not like he's immediately going to see double teams in the NBA so I'm sure he's going to do just fine. I don't think the Lakers can go wrong picking him. It's just such a guard/wing driven league that it's tough to go big with those first picks now.

I'll give Okafur this, I do think he saw more double (and even triple) teams in college the Towns did. While Duke did have a very good roster it still wasn't what Kentucky had and Okafur was the one guy that other teams game planned against (also part of the reason I'm not as high on Winslow as others). Okafur still put up very good numbers for a freshman. It's not like he's immediately going to see double teams in the NBA so I'm sure he's going to do just fine. I don't think the Lakers can go wrong picking him. It's just such a guard/wing driven league that it's tough to go big with those first picks now.
    I didn't watch as much college basketball as I should, it's not shown much on TV here which does bug me but from what I saw he was far more feared at least offensively. Offensively I have little doubt he can produce and get better, rebounding I think his wingspan he'll be fine, my only problem has been is his defense bad because of his frame or effort, if it's effort then you can fix defense, if it's because of his body and him not being agile enough then I guess it's limited how much better he can get (with effort even not being agile you can still be a good defender so maybe I'm being too harsh).

Honestly give me an elite big over an elite guard, it's that simple for me maybe I'm traditional but even in a guard driven league it's an anomaly to win a title with a point as first option (this year Curry would have been the first to lead a title team in scoring...since Billups or Thomas I'm not sure if Billups led the scoring for the Pistons or just won finals MVP), wing well that's different but purely point guard vs center I'll take the elite center over an elite point guard (it's a mismatch having someone with offensive skills like Okafor in today's league as far as I'm concerned rather than it being a weakness there aren't as many good centers I find it a strength when you can get one like him at least offensively whether guard driven or not). His defense has question marks as I said but you just don't see that sort of offense at a young age often at all it's too much to pass up for me just far too much promise (but I do think he needs a good defensive head coach or assistant...if only TT would be willing to go back down to being a defensive assistant ).
    I do just think it's easier to get that good point guard in this league there's a lot than it is that elite bigman with skills like Okafor so when he does present that, you take your chance with the bigman and try and get a complimenting piece at point guard, for me you just can't pass up on him, no disrespect intended to the other players but for me at pick 2 it's Okafor then daylight (harsh but it's my opinion not an expert or analysts just mine).
    Last edited by Lakers91; 06-24-2015 at 02:54 AM.

I don't intend for this to be an attack on your comment just for some perspective or more so to illustrate my point:
    00; 01 and 02 Lakers: Shaq is the best player, Kobe is the best guard.
    03: Spurs, Duncan is the best player, Parker is the second.
    04: Pistons, well just a good all around team, Billups was good at point guard, with a great defensive anchor in Wallace.
    05: Spurs, Duncan still the best player on that team.
    06: Heat beat the Mav's, Wade easily the best player but Shaq still was a complimentary role.
    07: Spurs win, Parker is the MVP, Duncan not bad either (sugar that's who I forgot led the team in scoring as a guard).
    08: Celtics
    09: Lakers
    10: Lakers
    11: Mavericks
    12: Heat
    13: Heat
    14: Spurs
    15: Warriors

The anomaly there is really the Warriors with the point guard as the best player/first option albeit not the finals MVP, and all the others at least had a good player at center or a good bigman, the Mavs in 11 had Chandler for defensive reasons, Dirk was just out of his mind though at PF/C. Even the Heat had Bosh playing center (albeit undersized slightly). I'm not saying the point guard position is bad it's just base it on history, I'll take at centerpiece a center (hopefully what Okafor turns into), simply because there aren't many good centers it's a position you can now exploit, worst comes to worst Clarkson is a point guard with potential, but I am just not one to go for the guard over the center especially when the center has the potential of Okafor (no doubt this post will be brought up in years to come if he flops ). My concern is simply Okafor's defense, but will have to wait and see, I think it's all but certain the FO takes Okafor whether that's to keep him or use in a trade I don't know but I think that's pretty much certain.
    Last edited by Lakers91; 06-24-2015 at 03:06 AM.

NBA lottery pick

The best wing in the game is Lebron. While some may consider him a big he's still a SF at the end of the day. The Celtics best player was a SF. The Lakers best player was a SG. The Spurs last title their best player was Leonard who is a SF. Golden State just played small ball. Really you can't go back earlier than the Pistons in 04 because that's the team that changed the rules and made the NBA go to this style of play. Although that Detroit team did have the best back court in the league that season with Billups & Hamilton and that's the main reason that team was so good for so long. Sheed took a ton of 3's back in the day too. The next season was Duncan so that's the one I see. Dirk isn't a typical post player. It did take a few seasons for the league to change after they changed those defensive rules though. And that's why now it's the teams that hit the most 3's. Granted I think any team would take someone you can dump the ball under the basket to and get a bucket. I just think it's so crucial to have that guard/wing player that has the ball in their hands.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13137032

This kid is special. Great passer, great shooter, leaps out of the gym

The more I think about it, the more I believe Lakers are definitely 150% drafting Okafor. Knowing Jim Buss and how badly he pushed Lakers to draft Andrew Bynum back in 06 & how he banked Bynum on becoming a superstar, I'm sorry but the guy wants the center to be the cornerstone of the Lakers team. He is the owner so obviously he has huge pull.

There is zero chance our Lakers draft Russell.

I just hope we don't end up regretting it in 3-4 years. Clippers drafted Griffin over Steph Curry, and that was a mistake.. Famously, the Blazers drafted Sam Bowie over Jordan.. Bunch of center/PF busts were drafted over Kobe.. Olowakandi over Paul Pierce/Vince Carter Darko Milicic over Carmelo & D-wade.. With the exception of last 5 years, the top 10 picks were majority big-men and many of them busts.

NBA lottery pick

I guess we'll find out in a few short hours but in the last day there's been a ton of Russell talk at #2. With LMA telling Portland that he will not return and his top choices being LA and San Antonio I could really see the Lakers going small. If they draft Okafur and sign LMA they would pretty much have to trade Randle for a guard or SF. He's not going to become a bigger trade chip just sitting on the bench. I would actually guess the Lakers are pushing hard for Cousins now that LMA has made that announcement.