Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: I forgot the excuse for why Lebron can't dominate Kawhi

Quote Originally Posted by swagga
    starks was too emotional to be a good defender, too easy to get into his head, as we saw it with miller, jordan, etc. And those horrible games were because of a team effort, you don't shut down somebody 1v1, unless you are some godly defender like tony allen, gary payton and so on. Btw, gary payton gave MJ the business.
    That was a past his prime Jordan though...MJ was still the best player in 96 but prime/peak Jordan manhandles prime/peak GP.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    That was a past his prime Jordan though...MJ was still the best player in 96 but prime/peak Jordan manhandles prime/peak GP.
    peak MJ doesn't have the range tho.. different type of defense there. Payton would do good, he was big and strong with excellent defensive posture, imo he doesn't get manhandled. He'd slow MJ down a bit.

peak MJ doesn't have the range tho.. different type of defense there. Payton would do good, he was big and strong with excellent defensive posture, imo he doesn't get manhandled. He'd slow MJ down a bit.
    Peak MJ had an elite midrange game and quick as hell, plus he's bigger and stronger than GP. MJ's low post game in his prime was really good although it became elite when he began to lose a step as he got older. Maybe saying he'd manhandle GP is overstating it a bit because Payton was a hell of a defender, but prime MJ would definitely drop a few huge games on him, like did to every elite wing defender he faced in his peak.
    Last edited by TheMan; 03-30-2015 at 03:07 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

gary payton gave MJ the business.
    In a series they got destroyed in, and he only guarded MJ after the series had been decided - garbage time.. If Payton had guarded MJ from Game 1, it would have brought out a better version of Jordan than circumstance gave us - instead, Payton lucked out because Jordan didn't get a whole series to adjust like he normally would.. Goats from all disciplines need time to adjust and show their goatness and depth of ability.. For example, see the 1993 ECF - it seemed impossible to for anyone to have a big game or get into Pat Riley's paint, so in Game 4, MJ relied in his jumpshot exclusively for 54 points.

MJ didn't get 4 games to adjust to Payton in the 1996 Finals.. But fortunately, in their first meeting of the 1997 season (and first since the Finals), Payton was once again matched up defensively mono-a-mono against MJ from the opening tip and for the entire game.. That game was famously called the "George Karl Game" (for a previous beef Jordan had with Karl).. Jordan scored 45 on Payton, on 19-28 shooting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXn8x87sp9k&t=0m25s

While MJ proved his ability to dominate Payton in the 4-game sample of Payton guarding him, Lebron's had 12 games in the Finals to demonstrate he can dominate Kawhi (and even more games in the regular season).. But unlike Jordan, who had multiple 50 point games on Starks and the aforementioned 45 on Payton, Lebron has never shown he can dominate Kawhi..
    Last edited by 3ball; 03-30-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Stop deleting your post and then reposting them so you can bump your threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    What series were you watching??

LeBron averaged 25.3 ppg on 45 FG%, 10.9 rpg, 7.0 apg, 2.3 spg, and 0.9 bpg.in the 2013 NBA Finals

Lebron averaged 28.2 on 57.1 FG% 7.8 rpg, 4.0 apg, 2.0 bpg, and 0.4 spg in the 2014 NBA Finals.
    Just because you need another reminder to stop people like you posting this junk, HE WAS A STAT PADDING LITTLE BITCH.

KAWHI SHUT THIS CLOWN DOWN AND TOOK FMVP, YOU RIPPER!!

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Stop deleting your post and then reposting them so you can bump your threads.
    Anyone who does this is a confirmed punish

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    You don't think Kawhi would make MJ's life tough? He would. He is as good a defender as Starks, Dumars, the late Bobby Phils.
    Starks, GP and Dumars gave MJ trouble because they were like bigger guards who were extremely fast laterally, tenacious, and strong. In Dumars case, smart too.

Had nothing to do with length. Something people confuse.

If you're a jump shot happy player, he'd be in trouble, say the way Tayshaun Prince gave 2004 Kobe issues. Yet sophomore D-Wade the very next season torched him. Why? Because Wade had PG like burst, and quickness (ala Jordan) preferring to attack the rim.

Jordan ate long, athletic guys like Stacey Augmon, Gerald Wilkins, Reggie Lewis, Anthony Mason, Dan Majerle, Clyde Drexler, Cliff Robinson, Byron Russell types alive. Because while being his height, athletic, or taller / bigger none of them were near fast enough to negate dribble pentration.

MJ used to make Pippen beg to take it easy on him in practice. You don't think Jordan would get what he wants on Kwahi? Leonard is a better defender than Pippen now? Scottie was clearly better because he was faster laterally.

I forgot the excuse as to why Jordan quit the league "twice" with the chance to 4-peat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    I forgot the excuse as to why Jordan quit the league "twice" with the chance to 4-peat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawhi m8
    that's what ^^^^^ Jordan stans do when faced with the question. Hand on forehead first, then the hand continues down the face to the chin, then a deep breath cause they have no logical answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    Jordan had a chance to 4-Peat in 1999, @ 36 years old ... with Phil Jackson gone, Pippen gone, Rodman gone and adding Tim Floyd? Right.

Quote Originally Posted by kamil
    Starks was 6'3" and gave MJ hell.
    Different rules back then.

No way Starks would give MJ "hell" with today's rules.

Btw, gary payton gave MJ the business.
    MJ gave him 45 the very next season. GP did a fantastic job in the games he was on him replacing Hawkins, McMillain, and Wingate. All of which were good defenders themselves, just not GOAT tier caliber like GP. But Jordan was missing baskets he usually stroked with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Jordan had a chance to 4-Peat in 1999, @ 36 years old ... with Phil Jackson gone, Pippen gone, Rodman gone and adding Tim Floyd? Right.
    He also had the chance in 1994.

Wouldn't that be the definition of the phrase "when things get tough?"

That phrase gets thrown around a lot on this forum, no?