Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: College isn't a necessary if you have a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by waseem780
    I have no academic interests.... im just gonna be a doctor or engineer for the hell of it
    You can't just "for the hell of it" your way through an engineering degree or med school, dude.

College isn't a necessity if you're lucky and you know how to cash in on your luck.

Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by RightTwoCensor
    All careers don't pay the same as the next, getting a return on your investment of a college education takes time. Add bills and loans and you end up in a financial struggle of when you're able to pay everyone off before you retire.

I'm not excusing everyone from skipping college, I'm pointing out that there are cheaper alternatives to became certified and proficient at certain careers.

Thanks to a year long course I took my junior year of High School, I'm certified with Autodesk Inventor. All I need is a couple of months of practice with further refining my skills and learning how to Print and I'm ready to focus on the business aspect of building up the Warehouse.
    Sounds like you need to convince yourself; not us. This thread is just you trying to justify whatever mistakes you made in your academic history.

The fact is, if you don't waste time and money in college you will incur minimal debt that can be made up within a couple years of graduation in addition to now having a career that gives you greater prestige and flexibility in your everyday life.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    The fact is, if you don't waste time and money in college you will incur minimal debt that can be made up within a couple years of graduation
    What country do you live in?

You're just trolling so I'll leave you to your musings. I live in the states, had parents who barely made it out of high school, but managed to make it through academia.

Guess I had a plan. Good luck with your printing and YouTube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    necessity... College isn't a "necessity" if you have a plan
    I noticed that, too.
    OP's thread title is a great example of an oxymoron.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by RightToCensor
    Pretty sure it works either way. The way I post is the way I talk in real life, I'm not looking to spend much time on staying grammatically correct if people understand what my intentions are.
    You're going to want to rethink that way of thinking if you're going to have a go at the business world without a degree. Hell even with a degree you're not going far if you willfully decide sounding like an ignorant sap is an OK approach.

You're clearly a smart enough guy. Don't handicap yourself in the name of some misguided notion that people don't pay attention to things like grammar when you're sitting down face to face or they're leafing through your 30 page business plan on why they should be loaning you their money
    Last edited by gts; 03-24-2015 at 12:28 AM.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Good luck with architecture via YouTube.
    One of the most competitive fields out there....but but I learned on YouTube

idk man my parents are making me go to college !

Quote Originally Posted by RightTwoCensor
    If they are paying for it then go right ahead, to me the debt isn't worth it when you can get the same education a pace that better suits yourself at home.

Depending on your career choice you might have to go to college.
    nah they ain't paying for it. my parents are broke. both my sisters in college tho

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    nah they ain't paying for it. my parents are broke. both my sisters in college tho
    When I finish Plan A I'll see how difficult it is to build a career at home. By the time I finish I should have enough time to enroll in CC if things go wrong.

Very good NBA starter

I wanna go to college tho

fvck some college ***** and get money nom sayin

Hopefully i can get into a good one

Banned

Young adults need to stop following the norms in life. There is always a way around the system to be successful or paid.

Let's see. My uncle graduated from Reed College and ended up becoming CEO of a company. He was CEO for 30 years. As a low paid CEO he was making well over 200k a year.

My uncle, also graduated from Reed, went on to get a job as a market researcher for a few different companies. He makes well over 200k a year. I know this because he supports my two cousins, one living in North Hollywood and the other in Oakland. Neither of them have jobs.

So having a college degree is huge. If you do have a plan great. Employers want competent people. A degree at least proves you have dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by RightToCensor
    1. Graduate High School

2a. Learn to Code via OneRails
    3a. Go through with making the website I have planned

or

2b. Become proficient in Autodesk Inventor
    3b. Open The First "3-D Printing Warehouse" for the public's use

If it's that easy, then why don't all programmers just learn online instead of going to school? I mean programmers aren't dumb people, surely there is a reason they are going to school...

If you're really computer savvy, I suppose you could teach yourself. But you would have to have general knowledge to be able to pick up coding by yourself. People go to college for this stuff because it is easier to learn it from seeing it done by someone who already knows how to, being able to ask questions and having the prof explain to you how to do it, what you may be doing wrong, and give you guidance on how to improve.

What's cool about programming jobs though is that the employer isn't necessarily going to ask you what degree you have, instead they will ask you if you can code in java, c++, python, etc. Meaning that if you have a uni or college offering an AS in programming, it might not be a bad idea to go for that and pick up certificates in whatever field you'd like to be apart of, be that working in the financial sector is your goal you'd go for cert's in .net languages like ASP or C#; Or maybe you wanna help design apps for Android you'd go for Java cert. This is a growing field, so it would be very smart for you to go into it. Apple actually just created a new programming language called swift, idk if schools are already offering certs in it or not, but if apps/mobile is the route you wanna go, I'd jump on it.