Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Who is the better dunker, Steve "Franchise" Francis or Russell Westbrook?

Steve Francis has no case. Get the fvck out of here if you think that shit. Overrated dunker. Aside from a couple stylistic dunks in the contest, what has he really done besides hang on the rim? No power behind his dunks. Just had a lot of bounce. His dunks weren't particularly amazing. Westbrook is the greatest dunker PG of all time and the only one in his range was Rose.

Seriously tho, people always say he had "flashy" dunks and I agree, but to be quite frank, I find Westbrook's dunks to be more aesthetically pleasing.
    Last edited by SugarHill; 03-19-2015 at 12:06 PM.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Who is the better dunker, Steve "Franchise" Francis or Russell Westbrook?

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHill
    Steve Francis has no case. Get the fvck out of here if you think that shit. Overrated dunker. Aside from a couple stylistic dunks in the contest, what has he really done besides hang on the rim? No power behind his dunks. Just had a lot of bounce. His dunks weren't particularly amazing. Westbrook is the greatest dunker PG of all time and the only one in his range was Rose.

Seriously tho, people always say he had "flashy" dunks and I agree, but to be quite frank, I find Westbrook's dunks to be more aesthetically pleasing.
    Still having a tough time deciding myself.

Westbrook from a dunking standpoint reminds me of an evolutionary Latrell Sprewell (again, just from a dunking standpoint). Sprewell had the capabilities to do an array of dunks, but he was primarily a guy who simply enjoyed attacking at 110 miles per hour and hammering those two-hand tomahawks off two feet.

Similarly, I've seen Westbrook windmill and reverse, but his tendency is to go really fast and hammer with one hand (and sometimes two). It's great to watch and he has wonderful energy, power, and post-dunk enthusiasm. One of my favorite dunkers now.

But I don't know... Francis may have gone out and found different cool ways to dunk more often. He didn't dunk as powerfully, but almost no one does. He did have an awesome looking signature go-to dunk though (the side-facing one-handed rocket boost).

He was also a frequent alley-oop threat (remember the Mobley-Francis connection?) and seemed to enjoy keeping the people guessing whenever he could (jackhammer reverses, self-bounce alley-oop, tip-dunks). On top of all his dunk capabilities, they had good style too, in terms of rim-hanging, set-up, and aesthetics.

A video for reference, starting at the first dunk part. There's another dunk part later in the clip (2:35): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeqUefRwNSw#t=1m10s
    Last edited by Rake2204; 03-19-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Spree is actually a really good comparison for Westbrook. Both dunked with fury but Spree was even more one dimensional than Westbrook. 99% of his dunks were the 2 handed tomahawks. I don't think any guard dunked that hard with two hands.

Francis also probably had the GOAT reverse pump. He perfected that shit.

Westbrook's dunks are something else, just the sound of the rim when he jams it is on another level. The only other player who got that loud pop noise on his dunks was 2009-2012 Lebron. It's like he has his own sound effects.

Just pay attention to the net and the ball bounce when Westbrook throws it down, the ball bounces off the floor and goes so damn high even after going through the ring, it's as if it GAINS more power and momentum instead of losing it. Never seen a PG, or hell any non big dunk with that much raw strength. Idk how it's even possible.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Westbrook's the better game dunker. Much more fearless and tenacious.

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Westbrook's dunks are something else, just the sound of the rim when he jams it is on another level. The only other player who got that loud pop noise on his dunks was 2009-2012 Lebron. It's like he has his own sound effects.

Just pay attention to the net and the ball bounce when Westbrook throws it down, the ball bounces off the floor and goes so damn high even after going through the ring, it's as if it GAINS more power and momentum instead of losing it. Never seen a PG, or hell any non big dunk with that much raw strength. Idk how it's even possible.

Vince and Iggy did that a lot. Iggy did it on a windmill. That's impressive.

Decent playground baller John Tesh's Avatar

I doubt Westbrook would top Francis in the dunk contest, but Westbrook is better in game.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

The franchise

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton

I never understood why the sound of a dunk matters, so westbrook slams the hoop hard because hes got the emotional capacity of a 5 year old in the middle of a temper tantrum so what?. Anyone can throw it down hard most just choose not too. Its about how u get there not how hard u slam ur hand on the rim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJIoDdxByoY

still crazy. I remember he was being measured at higher verticals than VC in the dunk contest.

and Russ clearly jumps with the best of them too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xNIhMSvcNo