Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tolerant Liberals

Default The notion of stat padding is stupid

A player doesnt just decide to check himself in/out of games, whether they are blowouts or not.

The only real statpadding example is when youre conscious of how close you are to a triple double and fiend after rebounds/assists. Ive seen lebron do this, but other players are also guilty (westbrook).

If a player (aka lebron tonight) gets checked into a game that is a double digit lead and starts scoring, that doesnt make him a statpadder, haters just reaching. I guess lebrons thinking "gee i better not score since this game is out of reach and i dont want posters online calling me a stat padder!"

Banned

Default Re: The notion of stat padding is stupid

Good thread

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

LeBron is a known statpadder. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    A player doesnt just decide to check himself in/out of games

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Don't be a mark for the trolls.

3-time NBA All-Star

because youre a dumbass OP

A player doesnt just decide to check himself in/out of games, whether they are blowouts or not.

The only real statpadding example is when youre conscious of how close you are to a triple double and fiend after rebounds/assists. Ive seen lebron do this, but other players are also guilty (westbrook).

If a player (aka lebron tonight) gets checked into a game that is a double digit lead and starts scoring, that doesnt make him a statpadder, haters just reaching. I guess lebrons thinking "gee i better not score since this game is out of reach and i dont want posters online calling me a stat padder!"
    You're wrong.

There is such thing as stat padding and if you think otherwise you're very naive.

Banned

Lebron checked out against boston in 2010 then went to south beach.

Not of my business though...

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

If you're on the floor, you should be trying to help your team score whether through shooting or passing. What do people want him to do? Just stand in the corner when you're down 12 with 3 mins left?

It's just wording. Stat padding is just a terribly inaccurate term for it..assuming we're talking about Lebron's game tonight.

But that doesn't mean what he did doesn't deserve a bit of criticism, because it does. Regardless of the statline he didn't have a good game.

What really rubs people the wrong way was that he was shit all game long and really made no aggressive effort to get out of his struggles. Which in turn allowed Miami to hold on to a huge lead for the majority of the game. When he finally turned it on and scored at will, like he obviously can, it was clearly too little too late. Sure he did all he could when he finally got going...but the timing of it was way off, and a player of Lebron's greatness, who's been in countless comeback situations, knows that. Especially when you're facing a team with Dwyane Wade on one of those nights. You need to bring it much earlier than when he did.

The word stat padding sucks because it implies that he should just stop trying, stop trying to produce at some point in the game. Which is retarded. What isn't retarded is suggesting that he took WAY too long to finally start being aggressive, which isn't stat padding but still deserves criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    It's just wording. Stat padding is just a terribly inaccurate term for it..assuming we're talking about Lebron's game tonight.

But that doesn't mean what he did doesn't deserve a bit of criticism, because it does. Regardless of the statline he didn't have a good game.

What really rubs people the wrong way was that he was shit all game long and really made no aggressive effort to get out of his struggles. Which in turn allowed Miami to hold on to a huge lead for the majority of the game. When he finally turned it on and scored at will, like he obviously can, it was clearly too little too late. Sure he did all he could when he finally got going...but the timing of it was way off, and a player of Lebron's greatness, who's been in countless comeback situations, knows that. Especially when you're facing a team with Dwyane Wade on one of those nights. You need to bring it much earlier than when he did.

The word stat padding sucks because it implies that he should just stop trying, stop trying to produce at some point in the game. Which is retarded. What isn't retarded is suggesting that he took WAY too long to finally start being aggressive, which isn't stat padding but still deserves criticism.
    Are you saying he wasn't trying the first 3 quarters? He seemed pretty active IMO, went to the rim a lot, but he missed some easy looks and made some errant passes. Obviously he caught his rhythm on the 4th, but I don't think "he wasn't trying" in the first 3 quarters or anything like that.

It did seem like Deng was doing a good job on him too, and the Heat's paint protection was good. I mean Kyrie had a shitty game too because Whiteside was bothering him with some blocks.

I'm not defending his play in the first 3 quarters. Obviously he had a bad game, but I'm not sure what he's supposed to do in the 4th quarter to avoid a "stat padder label". Like I said, if he was on the floor and not attempting to score, people would call him a "quitter". It was a 12 pt game with 2:30 left, so it wasn't completely out of reach.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    Are you saying he wasn't trying the first 3 quarters? He seemed pretty active IMO, went to the rim a lot, but he missed some easy looks and made some errant passes. Obviously he caught his rhythm on the 4th, but I don't think "he wasn't trying" in the first 3 quarters or anything like that.

It did seem like Deng was doing a good job on him too, and the Heat's paint protection was good. I mean Kyrie had a shitty game too because Whiteside was bothering him with some blocks.

I'm not defending his play in the first 3 quarters. Obviously he had a bad game, but I'm not sure what he's supposed to do in the 4th quarter to avoid a "stat padder label". Like I said, if he was on the floor and not attempting to score, people would call him a "quitter". It was a 12 pt game with 2:30 left, so it wasn't completely out of reach.
    There's a middle ground between not trying and being ultra aggressive though. If the team was cruising to a W with him playing poorly, no problem with him not forcing anything. But when your team is down 20+, you need to go into Chuckbe mode. Even when you're struggling, you gotta pull yourself out of it. Not just being active, but all-out forcing the issue. Cleveland needed someone to step up and dominate to get them back in the game and no one did that for most of the game.

This is one of those things that separated Jordan from Lebron and Kobe. Kobe will chuck his brains out when his team is losing, and oftentimes it'll make shit even worse. When Lebron's team is getting killed, he'll straight up wait till the last minute (not literally) to be aggressive and even when he's productive it's, again, too little too late. Jordan had way better game management skills.

I agree on the stat padder label, it's retarded. He did the right thing going hard in the 4th. He should've just done it earlier...or at least tried to.

They know, they are just trolling, i doubt any normal human is really as stupid as them.

There's a middle ground between not trying and being ultra aggressive though. If the team was cruising to a W with him playing poorly, no problem with him not forcing anything. But when your team is down 20+, you need to go into Chuckbe mode. Even when you're struggling, you gotta pull yourself out of it. Not just being active, but all-out forcing the issue. Cleveland needed someone to step up and dominate to get them back in the game and no one did that for most of the game.

This is one of those things that separated Jordan from Lebron and Kobe. Kobe will chuck his brains out when his team is losing, and oftentimes it'll make shit even worse. When Lebron's team is getting killed, he'll straight up wait till the last minute (not literally) to be aggressive and even when he's productive it's, again, too little too late. Jordan had way better game management skills.

I agree on the stat padder label, it's retarded. He did the right thing going hard in the 4th. He should've just done it earlier...or at least tried to.
    I think part of it is that LeBron can't really jump shoot a team back into a game, so he would really have to take it to the paint. He didn't look 100% which makes sense since had that bad fall on his knee yesterday. That + B2B + everyone shooting poorly probably made him a bit hesitant to attack.

I don't even think he really forced the issue in the 4th. He seemed to just finally get some buckets to drop that weren't dropping earlier, and stuck with it.