Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: tonight, lebron will pass bird in games played..

SHAQisGOAT just wrote that bird was the better team defender......lol

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    ''HEY LOOK AT ME! I EXIST, PLZ READ MY COMMENTS!
    One of the biggest attention seekers on the site.

... and Bird still had a better peak (not by all that though).
    higher than 4 mvp-2 fmvp-top5 dpoy & 1st all nba o & d + 2 olympic gold medals and 4 consecutive trips to the finals on historic stats and efficiency which was matched only by jordan?

or are you going to tell me with a straight face lebron's defensive impact doesn't clearly separate him from bird peakwise?

if you've seen so much basketball as you claim, you should know better imo.

So just....statlines? Basketball is more than that.

College superstar VengefulAngel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    So just....statlines? Basketball is more than that.
    Is it though?

Im pretty sure that the team with the most points wins.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keno
    lebron has already played the same amount of games that bird has played in his career. let's look at there numbers and compare.

through 897 games (avg):

lebron: 39.3mpg, 27.4ppg (.497 fg%, .341 3pt%, .745 ft%), 7.1rpg, 6.9apg, 1.7spg, 0.8bpg.
    bird: 38.4mpg, 24.3ppg (.496fg%, .376 3pt%, .886 ft%), 10rpg, 6.3apg, 1.7spg, 0.8bpg.

so judging by the bolded, lebron is better overall in most categories. but...using context, bird had a higher rebound average only because the fast/high pace back then, there was more rebounds to get. also, regarding the 3 point percentage, lebron averages about 4 3 point shot attempts per game, meanwhile bird only attempts a measly 1.9. i'm sure if lebron attempted such a low amount, his average would be much higher than 40%. on top of all this, lebron is the way better defender, and there's no question about it.

in conclusion, when using context, bird is only better than lebron at free-throws. the main reason being cause lebron doesn't really try on his free-throws. so it's safe to say lebron is the best sf in nba history, and it's not debate either.
    I can't be the only one who finds this funny, right? lol!

I think you could debate it on who is the best SF. Bird could probably maximize some stacked teams potential better than LBJ due to the his off the ball movement. On the flip side, it probably doesn't matter since LBJ impact is crazy and still produces efficient offense and the defense gives him an edge imo.

WAY better defender? No, not really. I'd say that Lebron is definitely the better defender out of the two but it's not by all that, while Bird was a better team defender, plus I'd rather have him at guarding the post m2m.

Bird is very underrated defensively though. C's were one of the worst defensive team before him and instantly raised to top5 defensive team when he came around, with basically the same team and coach Fitch, while LB was 1st in DWS and 6th in DRtg.
    Celtics were always considerably better on D with him on the court, he was a very impactful defender throughout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpEAZMT5t_U
    Stop with this nonsense. Peak for peak Lebron shits on Bird as a defender. There's a difference between being "underrated" defensively, and being one of the best and most versatile perimeter defenders ever, which defensive peak Lebron was.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Judging by the bolded? Great way of comparing players Wouldn't expect much from a dude like you though.

Oh, you really wanna use context? OK...

Bird has a higher career TRB% and better at their best too, clearly... Playing with and against better rebounders, in a more physical game.
    Just so you don't look dumb, those %'s "encompass" pace, let's say.
    Lebron could never rebound as well as Bird.

Bird didn't grow up with the 3pt line and still made into an elite weapon, still one of the best at it.
    They didn't shoot it nearly as much as nowadays, not as many plays run to do it, coaches didn't emphasize it as in recent times, not even close.
    --> Larry actually had considerably better %'s as his attempts rised... So, only thing we can be sure is that you're a stan who has no clue on what he's talking about.

WAY better defender? No, not really. I'd say that Lebron is definitely the better defender out of the two but it's not by all that, while Bird was a better team defender, plus I'd rather have him at guarding the post m2m.
    Bird is very underrated defensively though. C's were one of the worst defensive team before him and instantly raised to top5 defensive team when he came around, with basically the same team and coach Fitch, while LB was 1st in DWS and 6th in DRtg.
    Celtics were always considerably better on D with him on the court, he was a very impactful defender throughout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpEAZMT5t_U

Only at FT's? Peak vs peak, Bird was a better shooter from pretty much everywhere, better rebounder, better pure passer, better in the post, better foot-work, better with the off-hand, better team and post defender, better intangibles as being clutcher, better leader, fitting with much more types of players and strategies, tougher and better hustle-player...
    James is a considerably better athlete and everything that comes with it (shorter though), better at playing the point and bringing the ball up, better finisher at the rim (because of athleticism), better overall defender (mostly because of athleticism again).

Also consider this, Bird played in the most stacked league, in the best conference, in the best era for SF's and superstars, with less star treatment in a more physical league... Dominated like EXTREMELY few ever did, Lebron wouldn't be able to do as well under the same "circumstances".
    And if you wanna name names and whatnot, look at the 1979 C's and then the 1980 with Larry, look at what he did in the 1984 Playoffs, look at the drop-off when he was out with Reggie Lewis stepping up, and so on...

Look at stuff like this too, that mental edge, no "short-cuts" either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rg1sFMxnbM

Bron definitely has him beat on longevity - even if Bird didn't have acess to the same type of medicine, playing in a tougher era and with a more physical "style", plus went to college - but as far as peaks/primes, even if pretty close, gimme Bird all day... Bottom line.
    SHAQisGOAT What u think about Lebron`s FG% Dropping Since He Is Now Not Playing With Wade and Bosh (Great Offensive and Defensive Help) While Sir Charles FG% on a Pathetic Cast (Relative To His Competion Then) Between 87-92 Was Close to 60% on 24-25 PPG?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by VengefulAngel
    Is it though?

Im pretty sure that the team with the most points wins.
    But one players impact on the point total of the entire team goes far beyond their own statline.

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keno
    how is that funny? please share.
    BECAUSE U RE MORON

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    Bird is a better team defender than LeBron??
    LEBRON'S DEFENCE IS OVERRATED

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul George 24
    LEBRON'S DEFENCE IS OVERRATED
    Now it certainly is. 09-13 Bron was a monster defensively.