Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Default Re: Larry Sanders: Why I Walked Away From the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    His personal issues, personal life is on him. He's free to do whatever he wants in life. However, his contract is a partnership and a commitment between him and his employer, the Bucks. And the guy just got away with $15 million to do nothing.

This would never happen to everyday working folks like us, we wouldn't be able to command a buyout like this (getting 34% of your salary to do nothing) because we have personal issues at home or whatever.
    That's true but the Bucks aren't absolved of any guilt in this either. They signed him to an extension, no one put a gun to their heads to do that. They also agreed to a buyout no one forced them to do that. I assume they did this to avoid some protracted legal battle but they could have played hardball had they wanted to. Sanders can command anything he wants in a buyout, it's the Bucks who have to decide whether or not they want to capitulate to his demands. Again, given the stretch provision and the salary cap increasing, they probably figured it was more hassle than it was worth to play hardball but again, it was their decision.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    That's true but the Bucks aren't absolved of any guilt in this either. They signed him to an extension, no one put a gun to their heads to do that. They also agreed to a buyout no one forced them to do that. I assume they did this to avoid some protracted legal battle but they could have played hardball had they wanted to. Sanders can command anything he wants in a buyout, it's the Bucks who have to decide whether or not they want to capitulate to his demands. Again, given the stretch provision and the salary cap increasing, they probably figured it was more hassle than it was worth to play hardball but again, it was their decision.
    Bucks signed him to the extension because they were rewarding him for a breakout year he had for 2012-13. I don't know how they could be blamed for anything other than being very charitable to Sanders.

It's just hard to sorry for the guy when you don't know him personally or his personal struggles and only see the situation from a worker-employer stand point. And in this case, it's Sanders who is at fault as a worker who can't commit.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Bucks signed him to the extension because they were rewarding him for a breakout year he had for 2012-13. I don't know how they could be blamed for anything other than being very charitable to Sanders.

It's just hard to sorry for the guy when you don't know him personally or his personal struggles and only see the situation from a worker-employer stand point. And in this case, it's Sanders who is at fault as a worker who can't commit.
    I don't feel sorry for him or the Bucks. I'm just being objective and not demonizing either side of this situation. Again, they weren't forced to sign him yo an extension and they weren't forced to meet his demands in a buyout. They chose to do both of those things and if they were questions about him at the time the extension was signed, then they took a calculated risk that didn't pay off for them.

NBA lottery pick

No amount of money is worth living in Wisconsin

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

So a physical injury is a good excuse to collect money for doing nothing but a mental one isn't? Y'all are idiots.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    So a physical injury is a good excuse to collect money for doing nothing but a mental one isn't? Y'all are idiots.
    An injured player will still rehab and stay with their team.

Sanders isn't gonna be part of the team anymore. I'm sure the Bucks would have helped him at any capacity. The Rockets tried to help out Royce White after drafting him.

take his money away and send him to work at mcdonalds for a week...dude will be back in a jiffy

Hustle Loyalty Respect Knicks101's Avatar

People are really criticizing Sanders for this?

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    No amount of money is worth living in Wisconsin
    I moved from Ohio to Wisconsin when I was 19. I love it and I'm glad I moved.

In any case, whatever he wants to do I hope he remains happy and healthy, whether it be in the NBA or not.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Watching the video presents a much clearer picture of the situation than trying to read the transcript. I've been curious about the Sanders situation all year and now I feel like I better understand his struggle. It's sometimes hard to get past the obvious line of thinking. Here you have what was one of the best defensive bigs -- maybe the best -- in the entire league a couple years ago and he's still in his early 20s. He should be entering his physical prime. What's he doing?

Well, none of us truly know how we'd handle fame and the scrutiny that comes with being a professional athlete. Only those people who have experienced it can understand. And, if you're stepping into that situation with pre-existing emotional and/or anxiety and depression issues?

I can see how that could be overwhelming. I sympathize with him. Now, everyone is disappointed in his career and he's become a sort of punchline. Money doesn't take care of everything.

It's probably best if he just quietly steps out of the spotlight. That kind of public life is not for everyone.

His personal issues, personal life is on him. He's free to do whatever he wants in life. However, his contract is a partnership and a commitment between him and his employer, the Bucks. And the guy just got away with $15 million to do nothing.

This would never happen to everyday working folks like us, we wouldn't be able to command a buyout like this (getting 34% of your salary to do nothing) because we have personal issues at home or whatever.
    so why no blame on the Bucks? Why does the team that negotiated the buyout WITH HIM get exonerated, but everyone acts like Larry Sanders is such a scum bag in this situation. But the Bucks look like such a caring and generous organization...

Sorry I'm not buying that. At least acknowledge the Bucks' role in this. i'm not saying someone can't have that motive to take the money and run, but you base your assumption on speculation. At the very least, if you watched the video, he explains it pretty bluntly what it was about the NBA specifically that exacerbates his problems, yet you compare it to your mundane in no way exceptional life. Yet, being an NBA player, a good one and very well paid one at that, is somehow comparable? No. Not the same thing.

I have no problem with him walking away from the game, but taking a boatload of millions with him is highway robbery.

"Sanders wil receive approx. $15.2 of remaining, spread over 7 years per stretch provision.

Contract buyout reached on February 21, 2015."
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...sandela01.html

Why did he even sign a 4-year extension in the first place if he knew this isn't his passion anymore?
    Fuck bitches, get money.

An injured player will still rehab and stay with their team.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Done_And_Done
    He looks to me like a relieved man. A very rich + relieved man...
    This...Good for him...