Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    National High School Star I.R.Beast's Avatar

Default I Hate "True Pg" Apologists

I hate "True PG" apologists. There is no such thing as a 'True PG". Why isn''t their a True SG, True SF, True PF, True C?... Here's why. There is more than 1 way to play every position. Success at a position is not contingent upon fitting a predetermined description, nor is it how that position ranked. A player's job no matter the position they play is to make their strengths an advantage for their team to use to win. Whether that be scoring, rebounding, passing or what have you. If you're the best scoring option on a team then be that! Don't go out of your way to defer the 25 points that you can average more consistently and efficiently to your second option. Don't pass pass pass because someone told you that "A Pg job is to facilitate" when your team can use your scoring more in the current situation to get the team over the hump. PG, SG, SF, PF, C is nothing but listings with basic requirements such as height and a skill minimum requirements. The rest is up to the player in what they bring to the table and how they utilize their skills to give their team to the best chance to win. If said team "doesn't have enough firepower" then why the f*** are you "facilitating the offense" and not trying to carry the offense and make plays for other players when they present themselves? ‪#‎ThinkOnThat‬

Serious playground baller CP343's Avatar

Default Re: I Hate "True Pg" Apologists

People do try to argue "true C," but they'll use other words, like "back to the basket" or "Old school" instead of "true."

of course there is a "true center" and also a "true" or "prototypical shooting guard".

Well a true center would be a defensive and rebounding center. Not someone like Bargnani.

NBA All-star

Kendrick Perkins also sets a true pick much better than Garnett

Agreed with OP.

how many guards can score effectively/efficiently???

would rather my scoring come from the best players that can create space or score over length.

in the recent era that might be guards more often relatively to other eras but that has more to do with rules implemented. However, give me the ability of scoring over length rather than what the typical scoring PGs provide.

Still feel leadership, decision making, control of pace, getting team into sets and reading opposing defenses is more valuable from PG's than scoring

National High School Star I.R.Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    how many guards can score effectively/efficiently???

would rather my scoring come from the best players that can create space or score over length.

in the recent era that might be guards more often relatively to other eras but that has more to do with rules implemented. However, give me the ability of scoring over length rather than what the typical scoring PGs provide.

Still feel leadership, decision making, control of pace, getting team into sets and reading opposing defenses is more valuable from PG's than scoring
    What you feel has nothing to do with reality though. Scoring PGs run the league and with reason. Reason being is that a scoring PGs carries more of the O load than passing PGs whom are ultimately only as good as the poeple they are facilitating. That's why the clippers will never get past the 2nd round.. Cp3 over facilitates when the clippers would be better off with his offense as opposed to always deferring to others.

Banned

Also "traditional" small forward, like Leonard or Parsons.

NBA All-star

Chris Paul and Rondo has been the 1st defensive team selection.

With Rondo, you could still argue that a pass pg helps.

Chris Paul is the reason scoring pg runs the league.

When someone like wall becomes the top defender, teams will miss the true pgs ability to run a team

Westbrook is just a really really great rebounder with elite athleticism to bother others shots

Modern-day positions are basically meaningless.

Back in the day, a true PF would have been someone like Karl Malone. Pick-and-Roll man, who can post up and hit the mid-range shot. Not a defensive anchor in any sense.

Duncan came along and brought PF skills on offense but he had the ability to anchor the defense like a C. Dirk came along with his insane shooting skills.

Jordan did what he did playing SG but it wouldn't have surprised anyone if he was listed as an SF (playing the exact same way). Nowadays you can find lineups with guys like Boris Diaw playing Center.

That said, the idea of a true PG has been around forever, and it still exists today. A true PG is someone whose job is to set-up his teammates.

I'm not saying a true PG is better than a scoring PG...but what a Point Guard should be (in the idea situation) has remained the same for decades...unlike other positions.

Serious playground baller CP343's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P

Back in the day, a true PF would have been someone like Karl Malone. Pick-and-Roll man, who can post up and hit the mid-range shot. Not a defensive anchor in any sense.

Duncan came along and brought PF skills on offense but he had the ability to anchor the defense like a C. Dirk came along with his insane shooting skills.

Jordan did what he did playing SG but it wouldn't have surprised anyone if he was listed as an SF (playing the exact same way). Nowadays you can find lineups with guys like Boris Diaw playing Center.

That said, the idea of a true PG has been around forever, and it still exists today. A true PG is someone whose job is to set-up his teammates.

I'm not saying a true PG is better than a scoring PG...but what a Point Guard should be (in the idea situation) has remained the same for decades...unlike other positions.
    Good post.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P

At the professional level, players are simply allowed to do more becausd of their unique abilities.

At the college level, when you run through each play, you might not find the best player, or the best shot maker at the end, but the best position on the floor to take that field goal attempt.

What about True Jump Ball Old School Experts?

We need Theo to chime in here.

I remember they asked John Stockton about the "true PG" stuff, and he called it all nonsense. He said that PG's are doing whatever they are being asked to do because of fit and whatever the team needs from them to win.