Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Who's going to watch the Dunk Contest this year?

..I ...I don't know if I will

Every year it gets worse and worse, it's so cringe worthy but not in a funny/fun way, in a forced/trying-too-hard, beating-a-dead-horse, dying-a-slow-painful-death kind of way.

I just don't know if I can sit through another one so I'm curious who's gonna watch it this season? Who's even in the contest, I haven't looked.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Who's going to watch the Dunk Contest this year?

I always tune in. It's my favorite part of all-star weekend. I've witnessed some absolute brutality (the P.Diddy and Mike Hart skits) but I've had a good history with watching otherwise with some incredible moments: Vince, Richardson, even Kobe at the time was enjoyable to watch - though his performance aged somewhat (they all do). Spending 45 minutes of my time in hopes of seeing something neat is well worth it for me.

I am encouraged by the return of a relatively standard format this year (judges, two rounds, two dunks per round).

I always found it interesting how much the dunk contest is a lightning rod of criticism. The celebrity game appears to be generally awful, the skills competition usually features players carelessly jogging around decoys, yet the dunk contest tends to be the one most often getting the "just cancel it already" shouts.

Banned

I'll watch it and complain to my girlfriend about how stupid the props are and how cringeworthy the humor is.

They should keep raising the rim to determine who can dunk the ball at it's highest point...

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    They should keep raising the rim to determine who can dunk the ball at it's highest point...
    ...actually I'd be interested to watch that

None of the gimmicks. Just a straight up competition of length+athleticism. The gimmicks are awful.

Local High School Star Magic731's Avatar

It's on right after all the other events so may as well stay on the couch and stick it out. Pretty sure it's on Sunday afternoon over here so not like I'd be doing much else anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    ...actually I'd be interested to watch that

None of the gimmicks. Just a straight up competition of length+athleticism. The gimmicks are awful.
    Or else determine who can dunk from the farthest out...starting from the FT line on out...

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Or else determine who can dunk from the farthest out...starting from the FT line on out...
    You've just created a more entertaining contest than what is currently presented, congrats

Highest dunks
    Furthest dunks

Can add a 2 hand and one hand variable to both and call it a competition.

ONE free style dunk tops. No props. Just showcase some body control nobody cares about what stuffed animal or sponsored car you wish to place above or below the rim.

Hell yeah I am.

Last year had some talented dunkers. The format was retarded but whatever. I always watch it--for better or worse.

People are sleeping on Lavine and I don't know why. The footage is all out there, the dude has some FILTHY dunks. Even if the other 3 blow ass, Lavine is gonna make it watchable.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Doubt i'll even watch the ASG

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    People are sleeping on Lavine and I don't know why. The footage is all out there, the dude has some FILTHY dunks. Even if the other 3 blow ass, Lavine is gonna make it watchable.
    He's a great dunking talent.

Unfortunately he's about to participate in a farce dunking competition. Where the person who wins is the person who can bring out the most outlandish props and lucrative sponsored merchandise.

Lavine could do a double back flip dunk and wake the audience up from their slumber.

He would loose to J. J. Barea if Barea introduced an NBA cares childrens hospital choir to sing amazing grace while he barely clears the fender of a brand new Kia Sorento and finishes on a 9 foot rim.

Honestly.

Banned

I really didn't like last year's format, I'm not really interested.

I'll be watching the 3PT competition, skills competition, and the celebrity ASG.

Quote Originally Posted by 24-Inch_Chrome
    I really didn't like last year's format, I'm not really interested.

I'll be watching the 3PT competition, skills competition, and the celebrity ASG.
    They're not doing that format. They switched back to the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    He's a great dunking talent.

Unfortunately he's about to participate in a farce dunking competition. Where the person who wins is the person who can bring out the most outlandish props and lucrative sponsored merchandise.

Lavine could do a double back flip dunk and wake the audience up from their slumber.

He would loose to J. J. Barea if Barea introduced an NBA cares childrens hospital choir to sing amazing grace while he barely clears the fender of a brand new Kia Sorento and finishes on a 9 foot rim.

Honestly.
    I don't know what Plumlee and Dipo will do, but I'm pretty sure Giannis isn't about props or any of that gimmick stuff. He and Thanasis have dunk contests between them often, and they're pretty good about keeping it circus free. So at least 1/2 of the contest is gonna be traditional dunks, imo.

And there's only so much props can take away from Lavine doing a FT line windmill or behind the back lol. If he brings that out, no one is gonna care if one of the other guys brings out a car or dunks over 10 babies