Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Whiteside vs DeAndre Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    I do think Whiteside is more legit than Lin was. Lin plays a position where having film/knowing tendancies is a lot more important than it is with a guy like Whiteside who is really just an incredibly athletic hustle player.
    Yup. Whitside's defense and rebounding is way more sustainable than Lin's scoring and passing imo. Ballhandling, vision, footwork, etc are all things you need to succeed as a PG in this league, and Lin was nowhere near as fundamentally sound as his play during Linsanity indicated. Whereas Whiteside could make zero progress skill-wise and still be an impact player purely on energy.

We also have to factor in that Linsanity happened under one of the most PG-friendly coaches out there, and Whiteside is just putting in work period. Lin hasn't been able to translate his success anywhere else aside from flashes here and there but I'm almost positive Whiteside could replicate if not outdo his current level under a better coach than Spo.

At this pace Whiteside will be better than Jordan but it's still too early to tell.

Whiteside is only comparable to Wilt.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I don't think it is laughable. Legit comparison. They put up similar numbers, and Whiteside has had a huge impact on the way the Heat play. We look like a far better team with him out there, especially defensively. I'm pretty sure he feasted on DeAndre when they went head to head too.
    Yes, it quite is.

Can you guess who put up 17.2/13.7 with 3.4 blocks over a 31 game stretch that no one would have taken over, say, Marcus Camby on that season or Jordan on this season?

That is someone who put up solid numbers for full seasons at a time and that was one stretch that was better and longer.

Local High School Star TheCalmInsanity's Avatar

Don't forget, players can be good in streaks like this because they popped out of nowhere and teams don't have much on the scouting report on them yet.

Jeremy Lin was good for a while until teams started finding his weaknesses and exploiting them.

He could be a great player, and even when scouting reports become more established, might still be good.. or he could fizzle. One or the other, it's still a risk until proven wrong.

Deandre however, has been in a league for a while, and everyone knows what he can and can't do.

Whiteside's career PER > Kobe's.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Whiteside's career PER > Kobe's.
    Not impressed.

Local High School Star

You don't have to usually account for Jordan on offense. Whiteside has displayed more moves in the last month than Jordan in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I made a comparison of these two in a thread at Whiteside's first glimpse of potential,
    when he was in college?

NBA rookie of the year

If DeAndre Jordan played a game of 1-1 against air, and the rules were no dunks allowed, he'd lose by 8.

WILTside all day.

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

I would take Whiteside and yeah you can call me a homer. It has been so long since we had a new exciting young big man.

Edit: I mean in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by gcvbcat
    Is whiteside a muslim?
    Nope

Definitely Whiteside. He is probably as good already and has a much higher upside. His per 36 are MVP caliber numbers. Has scored double digits in 11 out of his last 12 games or so.

Good High School Starter

whiteside is more bynum than deandre IMO

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    can Whiteside shoot free throws at a decent clip? if so, then I'll go with Whiteside. can't have such a crunch time liability as DeAndre on my team.
    6.3 FTA/game on 55.7%...better than DeAndre but still awfully bad.

Whiteside does have a decent midrange jumper though, so I'm sure with a little time in the gym he could get it up to 70%.