Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Whiteside vs DeAndre Jordan

I made a comparison of these two in a thread at Whiteside's first glimpse of potential, but was told by a few posters it might be too much to compare him right now to someone as established as DeAndre in the league.

Now, 20 or so games later, is it still not debatable? They are similar in age, height and weight. From what we've seen of Whiteside would it be fair to say he is clearly the better offensive threat, and the more capable shotblocker? As far as rebounding goes, DeAndre might have the edge, but Whiteside has him beat there in terms of per36 numbers too.

Who would you rather have on your team, give what you've seen now, and the fact that DeAndre is nearly exactly a year older?

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: Whiteside vs DeAndre Jordan

I'd take Deandre based on the fact that I'm not sure if this is sustainable for Whiteside but it clearly is for Deandre.

DeAndre is a shit defender tho, never gonna win a championship when you're letting opposing bigs drop 20/10 on you every night.. I'd take Whiteside.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

no he isn't. Based on what exactly is he a shit defender?

can Whiteside shoot free throws at a decent clip? if so, then I'll go with Whiteside. can't have such a crunch time liability as DeAndre on my team.

Let's wait abit. There are many cinderella stories that cause knee jerk reactions. What happens when fatigue hits whiteside? Will he be the same? Maybe, maybe not.

Wiltside though has been much more impressive in his limited time.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    no he isn't. Based on what exactly is he a shit defender?
    the fact that the lane is always open for driving guards and bigs have no problem scoring on him in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    I'd take Deandre based on the fact that I'm not sure if this is sustainable for Whiteside but it clearly is for Deandre.
    True. Could be another Jeremy Lin type deal? Fantastic over a 20 or so game stretch and then fades off?

Saying that though, Whiteside is far more physical talented than Lin, and will more than likely always have a role now just based on his size and defensive presence alone. At the very worst he seems to be capable of putting up Zaza Pachulia numbers, just with better blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    I don't think it is laughable. Legit comparison. They put up similar numbers, and Whiteside has had a huge impact on the way the Heat play. We look like a far better team with him out there, especially defensively. I'm pretty sure he feasted on DeAndre when they went head to head too.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I don't think it is laughable. Legit comparison. They put up similar numbers, and Whiteside has had a huge impact on the way the Heat play. We look like a far better team with him out there, especially defensively. I'm pretty sure he feasted on DeAndre when they went head to head too.
    No, its kinda laughable. DJ has proven he can keep this up. Whitesaid hasn't played half a season. Lets wait for a bit....

Yeah even with what you said 20 games under his belt? Still a small sample size. I dont think DeAndre Jordan is a bad comparison from a defensive/rebounding standpoint. Offensively, Whiteside has more upside. Definitely not limited to just dunks. Just from little I've seen of him.

If I had to choose I would pick Jordan just because I've seen what he brings. what you see is what you get. Whiteside? I dont know. I would take a chance on him more as a team rebuilding than a playoff team or even contender. If that makes any sense. At least if Whiteside is a flash in the pan you can swallow that as a rebuilding team vs a team trying to win.

If he is the real deal his story would be an interesting one. But hey some people (not me) thought Jeremy Lin was an elite PG. As of today, Lin who?

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    No, its kinda laughable. DJ has proven he can keep this up. Whitesaid hasn't played half a season. Lets wait for a bit....
    Well it is a "who would you take" kind of deal.

The one showing more potential, or the rock who has been doing it for years.

I don't think it is laughable when one guy has shown he can actually put up better numbers than another guy. Naturally you'd assume with hard work, he can keep that up.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

I do think Whiteside is more legit than Lin was. Lin plays a position where having film/knowing tendancies is a lot more important than it is with a guy like Whiteside who is really just an incredibly athletic hustle player.

Decent playground baller

Is whiteside a muslim?