Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Default Re: why do you think the Super Bowl is so much bigger than the NBA Finals?

Quote Originally Posted by Joyner82reload
    No it's not, at least in the US it is not.

Football
    massive gap
    Baseball
    small gap
    Basketball
    medium gap
    Hockey

Hockey is almost as close to basketball as basketball is to baseball in terms of relevance within the US.
    Basketball is definitely more popular than Baseball in the US. No question.

Default Re: why do you think the Super Bowl is so much bigger than the NBA Finals?

Quote Originally Posted by sammichoffate
    Good to know that you enjoy showing your ignorance
    This just shows why it's so popular. It's america's game, because nobody else cares for it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    where are the stats nerd??????
    ????
    ???
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...opular-mlb-2nd

"In 2014, 35 percent of fans call the NFL their favorite sport, followed by Major League Baseball (14 percent), college football (11 percent), auto racing (7 percent), the NBA (6 percent), the NHL (5 percent) and college basketball (3 percent)."

Depending on polls\stats used I bet you'd find big variations I imagine, this one says they asked what their favourite sport was which would probably get a lot of responses from casual fans who don't actually watch their favourite sport all that often.
    Last edited by outbreak; 02-01-2015 at 06:31 PM.

One game instead of minimum of 4 games.

I don't give a sh*t about the NFL. I won't even care if Seattle loses today. I was pumped when they won last game but I don't care about football. It's an interesting game but I love basketball. Basketball is a passion of mine. The 5 man team and the dynamics of it. It's far more interesting than which team has the more roided out defensive line and best QB.

Because it's football. People are more interested in hitting, interceptions, touchdowns, funny commercials, etc. than people flopping, whining, crying, fake toughness, shitty commercials, ESPN manufactured stars/rivalries, etc.

Dunking on everybody in the park

1 Big Game VS 1 Long Series
    Any team can win VS always selective few teams winning 80% of time.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by BasedTom

Aside from the QB, the kicker, and maybe a lineman or TE, almost every position is made up of mostly black guys.
    You don't see their face. The QB is the most popular guy on the team and hes white most of the time so there you go.

Banned

Just from the posting here and from an outside point of view it's amazing how race can still be such a big issue in America.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Deltron3030's Avatar

It's just one game. More commercials. Big Hits. All the playoffs are televised for free vs NBA being on cable. It's a combination of a lot of things. I don't think race is a big factor if at all. Take for example the Seachickens, they are mostly black at every star position that gets recognized and I'm sure they'll produce higher ratings than if Michael Jordan was in the NBA finals. In addition to that, you can have two really boring teams to watch and it'll still do better than the NBA. It's just the way it is.

It's not saying that NBA isn't popular, it's just set up differently. People plan to go to the Superbowl because the date is set months ahead of time. Men love the big hits. Women love men in skin tight suits rage up.

It really doesn't matter who is playing, it's a big party regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Just from the posting here and from an outside point of view it's amazing how race can still be such a big issue in America.
    It's a big issue everywhere, we just dont hide it. Almost to a fault.

I rule the local playground OnFire's Avatar

11% of Super Bowl viewers are African American. That equates to 11.2 million viewers. The NBA Finals peaked at 18 million viewers so unless the NBA Finals viewership is more than 62% African American then less watch NBA Finals than the Super Bowl too.

More people play football at some level than basketball. More white people have a chance to play organized football at a higher level. Adding those together doesn't equal racism it just equals more people playing the sport. Every high school has like 80 high school football players and only like 20 basketball players.

You guys may find this hard to believe, but most people I talk to that never played basketball, find it somewhat boring to watch. 82 games, many days between playoff games, guys running back and forth for 2hrs, the last 1min lasts 45mins, etc... Its shocking, but its like Soccer is boring to people who never played.

Are you racist if you are an African American in City X and never played Soccer and don't want to watch World Cup?

*edit* Also football is waaay older. Multi generational. My dad tells me the NBA finals were on tape delay after the Tonight Show or something when he was young.

"In 2014, 35 percent of fans call the NFL their favorite sport, followed by Major League Baseball (14 percent), college football (11 percent), auto racing (7 percent), the NBA (6 percent), the NHL (5 percent) and college basketball (3 percent)."

Depending on polls\stats used I bet you'd find big variations I imagine, this one says they asked what their favourite sport was which would probably get a lot of responses from casual fans who don't actually watch their favourite sport all that often.
    i asked for TV ratings amd you are giving me survey numbers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EnoughSaid
    Basketball is definitely more popular than Baseball in the US. No question.
    No, it is not. Not even close. There is a reason that MLB stadiums are twice the size of the NBA's. There is a reason that the NBA plays its season and playoffs mostly outside of the window of football, while MLB playoffs take out regular season football head to head(and loses, but that's beside the point).

If the NBA Finals were played during October, they would be TOTALLY irrelevant. The majority of people that watch the NBA playoffs only do so because they are football first fans and there is no football at that time.

Hell 15 or more of the MLB teams are more relevant than ANY NBA team sans the Lakers or Celtics, both of which are SHIT on by the Yankees and Red Sox.

Of course a Lakers vs Celtics Finals would draw better numbers than Giants-Rangers world series. However if you put it against something like a Cubs vs Yankees world series? MLB would almost double the NBA's numbers.

Just wait and see what kind of ratings an NBA Finals between the Warriors and Hawks would bring. It would be laughable.
    Last edited by Joyner82reload; 02-01-2015 at 07:08 PM.

The poll is misleading, because it doesnt take into account that you can like two sports. For example if people like Football and Basketball, and pick football, basketball gets no vote. Doesnt mean more people like baseball more than it, just that more people have a favorite as MLB.

The NFL is the undisputed number one,

MLB second? Well you got to prove that one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    The poll is misleading, because it doesnt take into account that you can like two sports. For example if people like Football and Basketball, and pick football, basketball gets no vote. Doesnt mean more people like baseball more than it, just that more people have a favorite as MLB.

The NFL is the undisputed number one,

MLB second? Well you got to prove that one.
    Yeah that's what I am saying in the last bit of that post. I don't care either way but it looks close between them. I don't like baseball myself.